WWW: http://new.linkssql.net
Email: webmaster@linkssql.net

Price: $50 [ buy ]
Details page: [ DETAILS ]

Requirements:

• LinksSQL 2.1.2
  • Image::Magic Perl module.

About the Plugin;

This Plugin will automatically create thumbnail images of any .png, .jpg or .gif file submitted via add.cgi, or added/modified via the admin panel. Includes features such as: ability to choose thumbnailing size (percentage or pixel size), re-generation of *all* thumnails (great if you have changed the thumnail size, and need all the other images re-generated), and more.

This plugin has had 3 beta version, so I'm pretty confident there are no bugs in it (although its impossible to get rid of every eventuality, and possible problems)

If you own the $200 bulk package, then this plugin has already been added to your download list. You can login at: http://new.linkssql.net/page.php?page=account (with your email address and password).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ New Plugin ] Thumb_Images In reply to
Andy;

- Do you have an example site we can see.
- Have you written a manual?
- Do you have some listings and explanations of uses for this plugin?

On features;

- Do it have any auto renaming/numbering and auto linking capability?

- Is there a bulk upload capability, and can your plugin scan a directory and make all the thumbs automatically?

- Are the image compression settings changable?

thankx
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] [ New Plugin ] Thumb_Images In reply to
>>>- Do you have an example site we can see. <<<

I developed it on a friends server, and tried it on a couple of others. ImageLinkUSA (my host) don't seem to have installed Image::Magick on my server correctly. It just freezes after the image generation is done (it doesn't do this on any other server). Until they get this fixed, I'm afraid I can't show any demos Frown I'm getting some screenshots done in about 30-45 mins, so you may want to wait to see them.

>>>- Have you written a manual? <<<

There is a Readme with it. If you still have any questions/problems, you can email me via the support email given in the Plugin's menu options, or via my forum.

>>>Do you have some listings and explanations of uses for this plugin?<<<

You could use this for anything that holds images in their directory. Classic examples would be a classified site, clipart site, photos site, directory where an image is attached, and pretty much anything else that uses images and needs a thumbnailing feature.

>>> Do it have any auto renaming/numbering and auto linking capability? <<<

The way it works, is to grab the existing file name (i.e 3-testimage.jpg), and rename it so it has small- in front of it (i.e small-3-testimage.jpg).

>>>- Is there a bulk upload capability, and can your plugin scan a directory and make all the thumbs automatically? <<<

It only generates images from an uploaded image with a link. There is a function in the Plugin, that will run and create all thumnails from scrath. This is good if you already have images added to a link, and need to create the thumbnails to start with, and then also add thumbnails when new links are added.

>>>- Are the image compression settings changable? <<<

All it does it utalise Image::Magick's default compression. You can define what size the thumbnails are created at. i.e 100x50 pixels, or 75% the size of the original. Either a percentage or pixel sizes will work (it doesn't need to be a fixed size either, it could be 17%, or something like that).

Hopefully that answers your questions Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] [ New Plugin ] Thumb_Images In reply to
Ok, screenshots are up;

http://new.linkssql.net/...mp;page=Thumb_Images

I'm off to bed now. Its almost morning Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
v1.0.1

Slight bug fix. The tag that can be used to get the URL for the full image, was not displaying the right URL. This has been fixed up now.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote:
I'm pretty confident there are no bugs in it

Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [ New Plugin ] Thumb_Images In reply to
Hey, no script is perfect. It wasn't really even a major problem, and it got picked up pretty early (in beta 1), but it somehow managed to worm its way back in Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
1.3 is now available for download at http://new.linkssql.net/page.php?page=account

This new version fixes the user side for modifiying images (via modify.cgi). Yogi kindly posted a fix that needs to be made to GT/SQL/File.pm in order to make this work correctly. Its explained in more detail in the Readme.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Version 1.4 is out now. It has a rather large bug fix. The fix is with the thumbnailing of the images not being done when allow_user_mod is set to 'yes'. It would cause a fatal error (an ISE on some servers). The fix for this is inside the modification hook codes, and you then need to run a 'Cleanup' part of the script, which will re-generate the images that were not correctly made. I plan to add something in the script for v1.5, which will allow you to do some checking to see if the image thumb already exists, and if it does, then just skip it. This will be good in cases where you don't want to repair all the images, but simply ones that don't have a thumbnail for them already.

I have also added some more error checking into the plugin, which will limit files that are processed to only gif/jpg/png fles. It will also check for bad charachters, such as @!"£$%^&*()_+ etc.

This version is available for download at http://new.linkssql.net/page.php?page=account

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

Does it work with GD2 yet

CCUnet
my Christian web
Quote Reply
Re: [ccunet] [ New Plugin ] Thumb_Images In reply to
Not yet Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Another bug fix. Some charachters, such as @!"£$%^&*() were not being parsed correctly by the image grabbing tags. This has been fixed now, and should work fine Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
v1.4.2

Fixed a bug in Thumb_Images.pm, where it wouldn't link to the full image URL correctly. If you don't want to install the new version, then the fix is pretty simple.

On line 453, change;

Code:
my $rel_path = $fh->File_URL;

,...to

Code:
my $rel_path = $path . "/" . $fh->File_URL;

This fix can be downloaded in the latest distro version ( available at: http://new.linkssql.net/page.php?page=account ).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

Hi, I just have a few questions... My database has links to images, those images are not uploaded to my server. Will your plug-in create the thumbnail of the image if only a URL is provided, but the image is not actually uploaded to the local server?

I import large amounts of data rather than adding each link individually. I am assuming that I can build all the images at once using the feature that will create all the images from scratch. But if I import several hundred new links, and only want to build those thumbnails that do not exists, is there a function for that?

Can I specify a width... for example I want the width of the thumbnails to be 100px, will your plugin automatically resize the height in proportion to the width?

Thanks,
George
Quote Reply
Re: [macbethgr] [ New Plugin ] Thumb_Images In reply to
Hi. Unfortunatly it won't thumbnail images that don't exist on your server. To thumbnail an image, you need to use LinksSQL's upload facility (a new FILE field type, and then its uploaded to a specific folder that you defined).

>>>Can I specify a width... for example I want the width of the thumbnails to be 100px, will your plugin automatically resize the height in proportion to the width? <<<

Yeah, you can define the size....i.e;

100x150
50%
500x250

etc

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,
I am using Thumb_Images and it is working great, I do have one question however.... can I make 2 images from the orginal, for example, I want to create a 100x100 and a 200x200 thumb nail from the same image.... how would I go about this?
George
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Andy,
I am using Thumb_Images and it is working great, I do have one question however.... can I make 2 images from the orginal, for example, I want to create a 100x100 and a 200x200 thumb nail from the same image.... how would I go about this?
George

Hi. This would require some custom programming. If you would like this done, please email me at andy@ultranerds.com, or send me a PM via this forum. I'll get back to you ASAP with a quote :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
This is possible with our Eyecatcher Plugin:

http://gossamer-threads.com/...Plugin_1.01_P261077/

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
Re: [eljot] [ New Plugin ] Thumb_Images In reply to
In Reply To:
This is possible with our Eyecatcher Plugin:

http://gossamer-threads.com/...Plugin_1.01_P261077/

Please keep replys like that to PMs or emails. You don't see me advertising my plugins in your threads ;)

Chers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks Andy, I think I found a solution by simply linking to the larger image. I do have another question however. My links database is now at over 100,000 links and will be growing to over 600,000 links, I cannot have all those thumbnails in one directory. What would be the best solution?
George
Quote Reply
If you use HASHED for your file save options, then it should save them like;

/path/to/image/folder/1/
/path/to/image/folder/2/
/path/to/image/folder/3/
/path/to/image/folder/4/
/path/to/image/folder/5/
/path/to/image/folder/6/
/path/to/image/folder/7/

...etc.

I came over a problem with large numbers of images in one directory, when working on Thumbnails_Import. I got around it in the end by using multiple folders to hold them in (about 300 folders I think, but it keeps the server load under control, compared to having 3,000,000+ images in one directory :p).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

I get the following error when I try to build after making the above changes:

A fatal error has occured:
Can't call method "File_URL" on an undefined value at /usr/home/~~~~~~~~~~/cgi-bin/shop/admin/Plugins/Thumb_Images.pm line 413.

I replaced the actual directory with ~~~~~~~~~~ for security reasons.

I'm thinking that I need to upload all of my links again (and I'm in the process of doing this) to get this to work again.

Any ideas?
George

Last edited by:

macbethgr: Feb 23, 2004, 11:45 AM
Quote Reply
Please send me a PM with LinksSQL details, and I'll get back to you.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

I only get folders 0 - 9, how would I get 300 folders?

George
Quote Reply
You can't unless you modify GT::SQL::File, and a couple of other modules.

If you take a look at the post I made, I was actually refering to Thumbnails_Import, not LinksSQL's file saving method, or the Thumb_Images plugin;

Quote:
I came over a problem with large numbers of images in one directory, when working on Thumbnails_Import. I got around it in the end by using multiple folders to hold them in (about 300 folders I think, but it keeps the server load under control, compared to having 3,000,000+ images in one directory :p).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk