Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ NEW PLUGIN ] CustomDataImportGen

Quote Reply
[ NEW PLUGIN ] CustomDataImportGen
Well, after a long time in development... we are pleased to announce the first release of CustomDataImportGen v1.0.

This plugin is one of a kind. A plugin, that generates custom scripts, to import pretty much any comma, pipe, tab or colon delimited data file. With full support for remote file grabbing, this plugin is great for anyone trying to run an online shopping portal, with products from other "product feeds".

Details: http://ultranerds.com/...?g=Detailed/140.html

Requirements
  • LinksSQL 2.2.0+
  • MySQL
  • A source URL or product file, which you want to import.
  • SSH/Telnet access (or the ability to run custom scripts via Crontab)

Features
  1. Simple GUI via the admin panel, to generate new scripts (by clicking on "Setup New Import Script[/u]"). From here, you can set your custom options.
  2. Ability to build up the category structure, with an optional "leading" category (i.e if you want to order the products from a specific datafeed into one category, then you can do this). You can also build the category name from UP-TO 5 other fields from your datafile (i.e level1,level2,level3,etc).
  3. You feed in a sample line (normally the first line of the file, which looks like TITLE|URL|DESCRIPTION|PRICE, or similar). The plugin then does all the work, and "slices and dices" the data for you, giving it to you in a more visually appealing interface.
  4. Ability to add in an "auto-grab" call into the script, which grabs the latest datafeed from the appropriate URL (you must be able to do this normally, i.e without having to log in... otherwise the file can't be grabbed correctly).
  5. "Replacements" option, which gives you the power to change parts of a category name, i.e Appple|Apple .. which would replace occurrences of Appple, with Apple.
  6. Folder organized (so you don't have a ton of files in your 'admin' folder.
  7. "Default" field value options (as many as you require)
  8. easy to remove leading " and ' from values (option)
  9. easy to remove leading HTML tags from values (option), such as <b>something</b> would be changed to something.
  10. Emails you when a datafeed file can not be grabbed (with details on the scripts location, along with the URL it was trying to grab).
  11. Works with;
    |
    ","
    ";"
    tab
  12. Automatic Category generation (i.e if the category doesn't exist).
  13. And more!

Example Site: http://www.myukshopping.co.uk

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ NEW PLUGIN ] CustomDataImportGen In reply to
Hey Andy,

Looks like the site you posted as an example here is defunct now. Do you have any other examples of sites where this is being used? I'm assuming this will work with GLinks3...correct?

Hope this finds you well. Smile

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
MySQLMan already lets you import delimited data doesn't it?
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] [ NEW PLUGIN ] CustomDataImportGen In reply to
Hi,

I actually gave up on that site, as it wasn't earning enough money to cover the costs of itself :( (it was an affiliate commission site).

I do similar stuff here: http://buy-a-poster.com/ , although its tweaked a bit to make it work with the new AllPosters feed.

I just noticed there are no screenshots on our site for this plugin - which is a bit of a let down. I'll get some made up, and upload them to the site, so you can see the interface.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] [ NEW PLUGIN ] CustomDataImportGen In reply to
Wychwood wrote:
MySQLMan already lets you import delimited data doesn't it?
Yeah, I believe it does - but no where near as advanced as this plugin Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] [ NEW PLUGIN ] CustomDataImportGen In reply to
Hi,

I've updated the detailed page with a few images now :)

http://www.ultranerds.com/...mDataImportGen_L140/

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
That seems like a lot of money for something that can be achieved in a few simple steps without the plugin. The only feature I can see that isn't so simple is fetching a remote file, but you could just download the file manually.
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] [ NEW PLUGIN ] CustomDataImportGen In reply to
Hi,

You're missing the whole point of this plugin =)

1) As you said, it can grab the files automatically
2) A .cgi script is created, so you can set it to run on cronjob every xx days, so no human interaction is required (great for affiliate sites)
3) You can assign several different fields from the CSV (or whatever format is used) to make up the category structure (i.e using the 3rd,4th and 5th sections of the CSV to make a category like Computers/Internet/Modems
4) You can work with CSV, pipe, tab etc formats.
5) You can do automatic replacements in any of the category names, or listings details. i.e you notice a recurring spelling mistake - so you set it to just get "fixed" every time an import is run.

This plugin is far from pointless - as I'm sure a LOT of people who use it will tell you Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Heh, no I understand the point but I still think the same can be done manually, but I guess if people have $200 going spare...Tongue
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've just released version 1.1, which has a bug fix for the "affiliate ID", (if you leave it blank, it would still try and do a search+replace for it, in the data file =)) - and also the wget command, which would report an error if you leave it blank (i.e if you are specifying a "local" file). This new versions available from the Members Area.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

I test your script but I have an error message.

ERROR: No title. skipping.
$VAR1 = ' OK';
$VAR2 = '... OK';
$VAR3 = '... OK';

I do not understand the value of : ERROR: No title. skipping.

Thanks for your assistance.

Mick

Quote Reply
Re: [MJ_] [ NEW PLUGIN ] CustomDataImportGen In reply to
Hi,

Please email me an example of the data you are using, and also the import script the plugin generated, so I can take a look.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

Thank you for your intervention. This plugin is really very useful !!!
Your adaptation gives new possibilities ! Smile

Mick

Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

You think that it is possible to filter the data which will be recorded in the database ?

For example:

I have a field zip code, and I would like to record only the lines which have the value of 50000.

You think that it is possible ?

Thanks, Mick
Quote Reply
Re: [MJ_] [ NEW PLUGIN ] CustomDataImportGen In reply to
Hi,

So you only want to import data, when the ZIP field eq "50000" , correct? If so, send over your copy of the import.cgi, and I'll make that minor change for you :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk