Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[NEW PLUGIN] WidgetManager v1

Quote Reply
[NEW PLUGIN] WidgetManager v1
Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the release of my latest creation, WidgetManager!

Price: $65 [ details ]

Also part of the ULTRA Package, and ULTRA Package PRO deals.

About:

This plugin lets even the most novice GLinks user, setup cool functions on their "sidebars". You can choose which side they show up on (left or right). Although this is designed to work with the "luna" template set, out of the box - it will still work fine in custom template sets too. It has many "widgets", including: SearchBox, Menu, AdSense, SiteStats, NewLinks, LoginBox, TopLevelCategories, TagCloud, TopSearchWords, LatestReviews - and more will be added over time.

Features:

• Ease of use, setting up (at its most basic basic, all you need to do is add one line of code to include_leftsidebar.html or include_rightsidebar.html
  • Lots of "Widgets", including: SearchBox, Menu, AdSense, SiteStats, NewLinks, LoginBox, TopLevelCategories, TagCloud, TopSearchWords and LatestReviews
  • Admin interface, to manage the widget settings, and enabling/disabling them - as well as being able to edit the order they are shown on your sidebar.
  • Each "widget" has its own template, so you can easily edit them if you don't like the look and feel of the original version.

Screenshots:

Screenshots can be found here: http://www.ultranerds.com/.../WidgetManager_L251/

Demo:

You can see this plugin in action here: http://gossamerlinks.com/...888%2FR%2Findex.html

I'll be adding more Widgets over time, but I think the current amount will be a good starting place :)

Upgrading is easy, and no settings are lost - due to the way they are stored Smile

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: Apr 22, 2008, 9:26 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [NEW PLUGIN] WidgetManager v1 In reply to
BTW, if anyone has suggestions for other Widgets to add, please let me know. I can't guarantee adding them - but I will certainly consider them Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've added in a LatestGForumPosts Widget now too - so you can show xx amount of posts on the sidebar Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,
there is something wrong.
Tag cloud and Top searched words seems to be the same.

Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] [NEW PLUGIN] WidgetManager v1 In reply to
Hi,

Theres nothing wrong with it =)

A tag cloud, makes the fonts different sizes, based on the number of times its been searched for.

Just edit widgets_tagcloud.html to set the "limits" lower, and you'll see what I mean =)

The TopSearchWords one is just a LIST of the top xx words searched for - they are just shown as text links to search.cgi - with no fancy formatting.

Also, I've just uploaded a new version (no new version number). This just has a different "design" for the sidebar boxes - they arn't a lovely purple now :D

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Last edited by:

Andy: Apr 24, 2008, 2:40 AM
Quote Reply
>> they arn't a lovely purple now :D

But purple is such a royal color!

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [NEW PLUGIN] WidgetManager v1 In reply to
LOL!

I'm actually having a play with some other designs for the boxes in CSS (thanks Sandra =)). Hopefully come up with something a bit more pleasing that the new one I came up with today <G>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've just released version 1.1, which lets you load each widget separately (i.e if you want to show them on specific parts of your site)

You can do this with a nice simple bit of template code:
Code:
<%Plugins::WidgetManager::LoadWidget('SiteStats')%>
...where 'SiteStats' is the name of the widget you want to load - so pretty simple <G>

This version can be grabbed from our Members Area now.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [NEW PLUGIN] WidgetManager v1 (bug?) In reply to
Newlinks: won't allow use of all database fields- ie: I have a field 'PhotoCaption' but it won't recognised it.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] [NEW PLUGIN] WidgetManager v1 (bug?) In reply to
Hi,

Mmm.. can you send me access, so I can take a look? Should work fine with any fields in you glinks_Links table.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
... not setup, have just written a global to show pix at present.
Quote Reply
Sorry? Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
duh! Was going to use the plugin to show pictures but then wrote a separate global to show them- therefore can't show you the error.
Quote Reply
Ah ok - well I've tested it all again, and all seems fine (is the field you were trying to show a FILE type? If so - thats you problem - as you need to use a global to show them , otherwise it will just show up as text, not the image =))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
You're absolutely right, I tested <%caption%> it works fine in your plugin- and also within some of the changes I made within it to suit my site but not in others... Must be some sort of word conflict that is stopping it showing in the further changes. Weird but I'll settle for using an alternative global.

Just shows, shouldn't meddle with your plugins without knowing what I'm doing !
Quote Reply
Quote:
Just shows, shouldn't meddle with your plugins without knowing what I'm doing !

Wink
Quote Reply
Does your widget manager include an RSS Feed Reader?

Do you know if it will let you create 2 sidemenus, like
1 left main menu/sidebar and 1 left submenu/sidebar?
Quote Reply
Re: [muddauber] [NEW PLUGIN] WidgetManager v1 (bug?) In reply to
muddauber wrote:
Does your widget manager include an RSS Feed Reader?
Hi,

I'm afraid it doesn't come with a RSS feed reader, sorry (they tend to vary too much in formats, to be able to make a a decent reader)

Quote:
Do you know if it will let you create 2 sidemenus, like
1 left main menu/sidebar and 1 left submenu/sidebar?
Yup, sure will. You can use the left and right sidebar, and even put in modules manually (i.e not even in a sidebar). Its a pretty flexible system :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk