[NEW PLUGIN] CDN v1

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [NEW PLUGIN] CDN v1 In reply to
Andy wrote:
I *very* much doubt your site has got slower due to using a CDN Wink
It is theoretically possible Andy...Wink

For example, MaxCDN currently don't have any POPs in Australia or SE Asia. If we started using them with our site (hosted in Australia) we would probably notice added latency locally, versus serving the same static content from our web server.

We use Softlayer CDN (Internap) for our site as it is reasonably priced and has a good spread of POPs. If we had unlimited funds we'd use Akamai but Softlayer works well for us.
Quote Reply
Re: [aus_dave] [NEW PLUGIN] CDN v1 In reply to
Quote:
It is theoretically possible Andy...Wink

True, but thats assuming all your traffic is coming from the source of the server ;)

For example - most of mine comes from Europe, USA, and Canada .... and bit in India, Russia and other places. For them to get the best speed, they need to be as close to it as possible (considering my server is based in the Canda Smile)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I've ditched it because it was an absolute pain.

I couldn't work on my site as I had to wait for everything to load. I couldn't alter any CSS without having to log in to CDN and purge the cache before changes would appear and it messed up all my CSS as in the way things were laid out on the page (and no, it's not a browser issue or bad coding).

What's the point in someone on the other side of the world having a page load 0.2 seconds faster while at my end it's like being back on dial-up again?

I now have 998.17GB of bandwidth left that I will never use and money spent that I will never recover.

What a waste of time that was.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: [MJB] [NEW PLUGIN] CDN v1 In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
I couldn't work on my site as I had to wait for everything to load. I couldn't alter any CSS without having to log in to CDN and purge the cache before changes would appear and it messed up all my CSS as in the way things were laid out on the page (and no, it's not a browser issue or bad coding).

Sorry, what was the problem? If you wanted to edit the CSS or any other part of it, all you needed to do was disable that part in your plugin settings (i.e disable images, JS and CSS), and then it would all stay like it is normally. Then once you have made the changes and are happy, you would just re-enable them again (and make sure you clear the cache, so all your changes are uploaded).

How do you mean it "messed up your pages" ... anything specific? I don't see any reason what-so-ever that a CDN would cause it to "break" your pages.

Quote:
What's the point in someone on the other side of the world having a page load 0.2 seconds faster while at my end it's like being back on dial-up again?

So your saying its SLOWER for you to load the page, compared to normal? I'm not sure why that would be the case. You could always email their support guys and get them to do some diagnotics to see whats going on.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:
How do you mean it "messed up your pages" ... anything specific? I don't see any reason what-so-ever that a CDN would cause it to "break" your pages.
In the luna CSS li primarynav stacked instead of displaying horizontally. span float left or right just floated everything to the left. width 100% only covered the width of the text, not the table. As soon as I disabled it everything went back to normal.

Andy wrote:
So your saying its SLOWER for you to load the page, compared to normal?

Yes. All my none CDN code loaded instantly and then in the address bar it constantly displayed "loading (or waiting for) mywebsite.myaccount.netdna-cdn.com" until the page finally loaded.

Pages load fine without it and since disabling it my page speed has actually got quicker according to Google Labs.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing but it just doesn't work for me that's all.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
In the luna CSS li primarynav stacked instead of displaying horizontally. span float left or right just floated everything to the left. width 100% only covered the width of the text, not the table. As soon as I disabled it everything went back to normal.

Would you mind re-enabling the plugin, and taking a screenshot both with + without the plugin enabled, so I can see exactly what you mean? If its a bug with the luna template stuff & the CSS, I need to really look into a fix, as lots of peope use it :)

Quote:
Yes. All my none CDN code loaded instantly and then in the address bar it constantly displayed "loading (or waiting for) mywebsite.myaccount.netdna-cdn.com" until the page finally loaded.

Pages load fine without it and since disabling it my page speed has actually got quicker according to Google Labs.

I'm not saying that it's a bad thing but it just doesn't work for me that's all.

Are you sure it wasn't just the first time you were reloading, after clearing the cache? Remember, after every clear of the cache, the "pull zone" has to re-grab the file from your server. So it does:

1) Check if the file exists on the pull server
2) If not, then grab it from your server
3) Return thefile to you, for viewing

(so step 2 will *only* get run 1 time per clean, so shouldn't cause any real slowdowns generally)

BTW, what country are you in? I'll check to see what kinda servers they have around your location (going back to what Dave said a couple of posts ago)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy wrote:
Would you mind re-enabling the plugin, and taking a screenshot both with + without the plugin enabled, so I can see exactly what you mean? If its a bug with the luna template stuff & the CSS, I need to really look into a fix, as lots of peope use it :)

No point. I've rewritten the CSS and removed the li primarynav.

Andy wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't just the first time you were reloading, after clearing the cache?

No, it was permanent.

I appreciate that you're trying to help but to be honest I've spent far too much time on this and won't be using it again.

Thanks anyway. Smile
Quote Reply
Hi,

Ok NP - I'll have a go with it at some point, and see if I can replicate the problem

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Just as an aside - you don't need to manually purge the CDN every time you make changes. If you add a parameter to the stylesheet URL you can update this in the template and force the CDN to get the new version e.g.

Code:
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://cdn.domain.com/styles.css?v=1.0.1.0c" />

On our site we just cycle through the letters on the end and change the numbers each time we run through the alphabet - works for us Smile.

Last edited by:

aus_dave: Mar 5, 2011, 5:20 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [aus_dave] [NEW PLUGIN] CDN v1 In reply to
nice Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [el noe] [NEW PLUGIN] CDN v1 In reply to
I have to say at first when Andy mentioned this maxcdn site a little while back I didn't believe him, that a CDN could help a site much. But, I have always looked into speeding up my site and in fact when I came across the new gt site gtmetrix.com some of my pages, where over 90% already, since I would do about 80% of the suggested stuff on that site.

But since using the cdn a little over a month ago today. My traffic has looked like apple's stock over the last few years. So either something magically happened or the cdn is helping a lot. Whast also crazy is looking at stats at alexa... my search engine traffic is actually DROPPING, yet traffic is going up.

I think that using both maxcdn.com, and gtmetrix.com. along with andys maxcdn plugins, which made it pretty easy to modify the code on my gt forum and gt links.

I was also concerned on how to set it up, because i tried to use a "cloud" before and it was difficult. Using maxcdn, you can setup a cname such as cdn.yoursite-dotcom that then points to the domain that maxcdn supplies you when you create a zone. so you don't have to load any files they grab them from your site. You might just need to purge them if you change them.

If you think about it. I went from using one server in texas, to using 7 servers spread around the country. Yesterday I had 100% cache files served. Meaning that for most my css, images, js files my server didnt have to do a thing. whats also happening is now pages are loaded faster..

Think about when you hit a slow site.. and slow is a sec or longer these days... you leave and look for another.

I just hope now that gtmetrix.com is out GT will focus a little on letting us get a copy of the new forums.

Just wanted to thank Andy, maxcdn, and gtmetrix.com.

Last edited by:

carminejg3: Apr 2, 2011, 1:52 AM
Quote Reply
You could always go the old fashion way, and insert your CSS in the page until you have it right. Then make it external. Also depending on your server and site.. it's not (page load 0.2 seconds faster) It's more like 1-2 seconds faster.

If you need any help let me know.

MJB wrote:
I've ditched it because it was an absolute pain.

I now have 998.17GB of bandwidth left that I will never use and money spent that I will never recover.

What a waste of time that was.

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: [carminejg3] [NEW PLUGIN] CDN v1 In reply to
Glad its working well for you Cool

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
> >