Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Problems adding custom field

Quote Reply
Problems adding custom field
I have published this matter before but perhaps I did not make myself clear enough, so I try again.

After adding a custom column "Picture" to my Links installation, uploading works fine when I choose to "Add" or to "Modify" links. The problem arises when I try to "Validate" links submitted by my website's users. In the latter case the correct file name is inserted into my database, but no file is uploaded.

(When I from the admin panel click on "Download" when viewing the validated record I get the error message "Cannot file file pointed to by ID: 1 and Column: Picture". Clicking on "Download" on any other record where the file is uploaded during "Add link" or "Modify link" this works fine and the file opens)

I have tried using both Internet Explorer and Firefox with the same result. In addition I made a totally clean test install, added the same column "Picture", without doing any other modifications. I even tried installing on a local (Windows) server. In all cases the same problem as specified above arised.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Can anyone else reproduce this problem?

I would be very thankful regarding any help on this matter as uploading files correctly when validating is crucial for my website's performance.

Knut R.
Gjerrigknark.com
Quote Reply
Re: [KA] Problems adding custom field In reply to
From your description it sounds like the problem is related to your add form (i.e. it the file is added ok when you add the link in admin but not when you add it from your website). Can you paste the part of your add form where you have the field for the file? And also the <form> tag you are using.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Problems adding custom field In reply to
Thank you very much for your answer, I really appreciate it!

Perhaps I did not make myself clear in the last post. My custom file field is not available to my users for upload. Every file upload is done from the administrators side.

Scenario 1:

1) user adds a link (without having the capability of upoading a file)

2) admin validates the same link having the capability of uploading a file of his choice

problem: After pressing "Validate selected" in the admin menu (and of course having chosen a file for upload for this link) the link seems to be validated properly (i.e. I get no error message). I check the mysql table and the proper image name is added to the proper record in the links table, but checking my file upload path by ftp reveals that no new file has been uploaded.

Scenario 2:

1) Admin adds a link from admin menu ("add link"), specifying a file to upload.

No problem: checking the file path shows that the file has been uploaded correctly. checking my mysql table also shows that the corect file name is there.

Knut
Gjerrigknark.com
Quote Reply
Hi,

There are a couple of things potentially going on here, but if you are trying to upload the file from the admin screen, the *most* likely scenario is that the server is not seeing the same file path as you are. This happens for a lot of reasons.

You see the path as /home/user/server/www/directory

but the server sees it as /serve99/othervirtualpath/accountrep/home/user/server/www/directory

for example.

If you can log on to the http://gossamer-threads.com/scripts/licensed area and check the "admin" path on your update server, see if that file path matches the file path you have for your location to store the files. That's the path to your webroot area that the *server* sees.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Sorry - clearly I hadn't understood the problem.
From this explanation it does sound like a bug to me.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Problems adding custom field In reply to
pugdog: thanks for your help (unfortunately this is not the problem in this case since the file is properly uploaded in what I call scenario 2 in the above post)

To me it definitely seems like this is a bug, but it would be really useful to have it confirmed by someone else.

Anyway, where can I report a bug so that is hopefully is fixed in the next version to be released?

Knut
Gjerrigknark.com
Quote Reply
Did you apply the 3.1.0 upgrade? There was a mention of an issue possibly related to this.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Problems adding custom field In reply to
I have already updated to 3.1.0 in both my onsite installation (unix) and my offline test installation (windows server) unfortunately without experiencing any improvement.

Knut
Gjerrigknark.com
Quote Reply
We've just put up an update that should correct file upload issues with the category browser and link modify validation.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Problems adding custom field In reply to
Thanks for that Adrian,

I am hppy with the improvements from the "browse section" validation.

Unfortunately the problem is still there regarding the validation screen where you can validate multiple links at once. None of the files I choose to upload from this validation screen is actually uploaded when I press "validate selected" (only the file names are inserted to the database record)

(I have tested with both Firefox and Internet explorer with the same result. File upload regarding the same column works fine when adding or modifying a link)

regards
Knut Reistad
Gjerrigknark.com