Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Problem with Recommend_it

Quote Reply
Problem with Recommend_it
I`m using Linksql_2.1.1 and I`ve installed the Recommend_it plugin, but it doesnt work. The installation is new.

I`ve followed the precise instructions without modifying anything of the scrypt, but it still didnt work.

The problem is:

--------------------------

Can't call method "param" on an undefined value at recommend_it.cgi line 120.

-------------------------

I`ve read in this board that same problem has ocurred to other people, but i dont understand what should i do.

Could you explain me how can I solve the problem?
Quote Reply
Re: [jml] Problem with Recommend_it In reply to
>>
Could you explain me how can I solve the problem?
<<

First, bug pugdog to fix his plugins, second add:

Links::init('/path/to/admin');

....into the recommend it cgi script below the "use" lines.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Problem with Recommend_it In reply to
Good job paul, nice suggestions;)
Quote Reply
Re: [xpert] Problem with Recommend_it In reply to
I think that wont be the end of your problems. Last time I actually got this running, the script will deal with a totally different ID number than that clicked on - almost just picking a random ID from the database. I cant believe a year on this most wanted plugin is still up the creak even after offering to pay for the fix. Unsure

Good luck.

~ ERASER

Free JavaScripts @ Insight Eye
Quote Reply
Re: [Eraser] Problem with Recommend_it In reply to
To fix this I think you need to change the line

$rec = $db_links->get ($id);

to

$rec = $db_links->get ($id,'HASH');

If this doesn't fix it, let me know and I'll put up the file that I'm using which seems to work.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] Problem with Recommend_it In reply to
The problem is as mentioned above regarding Links::init ...the script is trying to call $IN->param but because Links::init hasn't been called in the cgi script, $IN is not defined as an object reference.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 28, 2002, 6:24 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Problem with Recommend_it In reply to
Hi Paul,

I don't think that that fixed the problem with random links being returned. Its quite a long time since I installed this on my site so I can't quite remember what the fix was but I can remember that the problem was definitely still there after I had added the init line.

Edit: Maybe you are right Blush I've just uploaded the original cgi file and added the init line and it seems to be working now! Obviously I have a very bad memory!!

I still don't understand this though - before adding the init line I'm sure that I got the error mentioned above: Can't call method "param" on an undefined value at recommend_it.cgi line 120. So I thought I must have added this line to remove the error. I'm confused.

Laura.
The UK High Street

Last edited by:

afinlr: Jul 28, 2002, 7:20 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [jml] Problem with Recommend_it In reply to
I really thought I posted a working "fixed" copy of this to the forums.

I've got my password now, so I'll try to upload fixed copiies to the downloads area.

Most of the "broken" problems are just adding a line to the initialization sequences to comply with links needing the

Links::init('/www/betterbeads/cgi-bin/LinkSQL/admin');
and
Links::init_user();

The problem I have, is I'm never on the right machine to upload the programs, when I have the time.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Problem with Recommend_it In reply to
>>
I really thought I posted a working "fixed" copy of this to the forums.
<<

I think at the time I mentioned that attaching a plugin to a forum post would easily get lost or wouldn't even be known.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Problem with Recommend_it In reply to
Now the script works fine.

Thank you all for the help.