Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Pagebuilder - thinking about writing a plugin

Quote Reply
Pagebuilder - thinking about writing a plugin
Hi,

I've noticed that yogi hasn't been around for a heck of a long time :/ (just did a search , and he doesn't seem to have posted in over 1 1/2 years Pirate)

Obviously the PageBuilder plugin was very popular - so I'm going to have a go at writing one.

I'm not sure its gonna be quite as advanced with PostScript, PDF, etc - but it'll have pretty much all the other features of PageBuilder Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Pagebuilder - thinking about writing a plugin In reply to
Cool Great idea Andy. I've never quite got the original to work properly with the latest GLinks version.

If you do write it- can you please make sure you pick up all the GLinks tags, particularly on the home.html template and other templates that appear on each page?
Quote Reply
Re: [Alba] Pagebuilder - thinking about writing a plugin In reply to
Hi,

Its prooving pretty hard to do :D

So far, I have it so it servers up 3 different types of pages:

Category
Links
Simple

For links, you can pass in a condition of the LinkID you want to grab (or, if doing dynamically - you can do it with page.cgi?page=foo;LinkID=xxxx)

Similar kinda thing for Category - where you can set the Condition, or pass in CategoryID=xxxx via page.cgi

Regarding the stuff in home.html - do you mean the global etc? If so, they all exist fine :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
It's sounding good. When talking about the home page- I mean all the templates called from within home.html I can't recall what wasn't being shown- but think it was something like the header or side-bar. It was an essential part of the default template anyway.
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
It's sounding good. When talking about the home page- I mean all the templates called from within home.html I can't recall what wasn't being shown- but think it was something like the header or side-bar. It was an essential part of the default template anyway.

Ah yeah, that'll be fine :) I think you mean you need a "basic" luna template when creating new templates - instead of just a basic design :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy:

This is a great idea. The PageBuilder plugin is what I use to build my entire site with. I have not had any problems with it with the latest version of gLinks. The only problem (which has already been raised), is not all pages can utilise all the tags and therefore an extensive set of globals sometimes needs to be used.

The Link pages it builds are somewhat problematic (in respect of the naming of the files) but this can be worked around by a slight modification to pagebuilder.pm. It would be helpful if that functionality could be kept or expanded upon.

All the best,

Clint.
--------------------------
http://AffiliatesDirectory.com
The Affiliate Programs Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [Clint] Pagebuilder - thinking about writing a plugin In reply to
Quote:
I think you mean you need a "basic" luna template when creating new templates - instead of just a basic design
Yes, that is what I meant. Been a long day !

Quote:
is not all pages can utilise all the tags
That may have been the cause of the problem that I was experiencing.

Just a thought- but it might be an idea to call the plugin something different? save confusion?
Quote Reply
Alba wrote:
Just a thought- but it might be an idea to call the plugin something different? save confusion?

Ya, I've actually named it PageCreator Smile (not very original, but hey-ho ;))

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
BTW, I'm going to be releasing a beta version probably today or tomorrow - so people can give it a go - and give me some feedback (NOT going to be for live sites just yet Smile) [only members of the ULTRA packages can beta test it though- otherwise everyone will download it, and get it free :P]

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote:
so people can give it a go - and give me some feedback

I'm in. Just redesigning the site at the moment so can take a look.

Another thought- can you select where it builds the pages? I recall (and can't remember the reason) that I was actually building templates with Pagebuilder on one site.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Another thought- can you select where it builds the pages?

You mean the actual directory? instead of: build_root_path/folder/filename.html

?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

Heres a screenshot of the admin interface so far =) Only got the "add" bit done at the moment - but working on the rest now.

I've also put in "screentips" (the [ ? ] bit in the screenshot), to give a few tips on what each field means, without clogging the whole page up with tips =))

The dynamic page showing (via page.cgi?page=xxx) is working now - but I'm not going to do the static building bit until I'm happy that the dynamic stuff has all the tags available etc in it - otherwise I'm making double the workload =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote:
You mean the actual directory? instead of: build_root_path/folder/filename.html

I mean- I can choose the path to the place the plugin builds each individual page, and these paths can be different for each page. I'm not making sense again today- must be the freezing weather affecting my brain?
Quote Reply
Hi,

Aaah - ok. that makes sense :) I'll add that feature in now.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yahoo, I'm finished coding now (I've also sent out to a few beta testers, and have squished the bugs that were found, and added a few new features)

I'm just writing up the documentation, and will then be releasing it as a plugin.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk