Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
One more time?
I just had the stupid idea to bring it back the good old LSQL. :)
I have a forum with a lot of ads. I have pictures, title, short description, also telephone-numbers to regex (and a link to the thread in my forum); also i have some regional subforums and prefixes for cities. All together could be regularly copied to a lsql-Database as Links in Categories. The only thing next to the design would be to cronjob the build every x minutes, when a Link and a Category has new content.

Somehow I like the idea, on the other side i can do the same without a new database, without cronjobs, without to make a new design in less time with the forum software.

Means that I really need a good reason now to explain to myself why it is absolutely needed to hold lsql in the net. :)
(because of love and the good old times), but i need more arguments. Do you have any?

For example that Google loves static pages so much, that he will move my new lsql in some fewer hours everywhere to the first place on the first page ...

Last edited by:

Robert: Aug 16, 2020, 4:09 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Robert] One more time? In reply to
Someone has broken my lsql!
I cant do a new installation!
Someone must be punished!

Is there a new version to fix problems with new perl versions?

=> Ok, have deleted two times "defined" ... in install.cgi

Last edited by:

Robert: Aug 16, 2020, 8:45 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Did you update all the modules as well? There are quite a few places "defined" is defined! I've attached them for you (be sure to backup your "Links" and "GT" folder, as well as bases.pm and Links.pm, just in case!)

Hopefully, that will help you out

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
BTW is the installation giving you a problem? It should work if you removed those "defined" instances (but you also still need to fix the other modules I attached, as those still have the old code in)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] One more time? In reply to
Thank you. Not now. I will do a search with UE (UltraEdit) later.
At the moment i think about how to move data from A to B, how to update, not update and how to build.

The source is a forum with threads, threads have a prefix and this prefix is the key for a category. So threads with prefix_123 should be imported to the cat with key_123; either added or updated. With php and mysql or with add/modify.cgi. I am not shure about (if i can use the cgis without moderation, i hope yes);
and then i need a way to rebuild every x minutes by cron, but only that what i need.

Also i have to do the grab of posts and attachments; and i am not sure to have detailed pages or not.

It is a fun project ... i have time ...
Quote Reply
Hi,

You do still need "defined" in the code in some places. Not all of them will give you an error :) It'd be worth doing a WinMerge of the folders I provided, verses the files you have

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thank you, i will find them, when problems will be there, i guess.
Something else, please:

I remember that i had tags some 100 years ago and a tag cloud;
i dont remember if this was a plugin or something i had done for my own.
Do you remember if we had anything for that?

It is just an idea/question; probably i will not offer any search on the new page, and meta keys are not really used any more, i think..
Quote Reply
Hi,

It's been so long since I've looked into it, I'm afraid I don't know. I guess it wouldn't be too tricky to create a tag cloud (ideally you would want a script to process the DB records, and store the tag cloud as values in a SQL table - then you would extract those details via a global).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I guess i had it as a comma-list in a search-field and higher weight to search for.
But also i had data in a table and a counter for the size of the tags in the cloud, maybe by a cron or in real time, but there was also the search index with a counter?
And finally i remember to had something to move links into cats by the tags; and so i had also another search by checkboxing cats to search in.
Maybe i dream all this, so many years are gone.

I walk slow, while i have to write some text and write some code parallel to this project.
At the moment i take cats with a prefix sorted by "last_update" and fetch all threads with that prefix_id as links to the lsql saving the thread_id as foreign column for update instead of insert the next time.

In the same time i have to learn a new "template system" and fight with gulp & co;
it is a long time ago also. I really dont understand why nobody can fix this )(&$)="(/&$§=)8 into one program.
I have installed dreamweaver yesterday, just to find out, they can do sass, but no uncss - can you believe this in 2020? Probably they all have a wonderful life at the beach these rich people from Adobe. So i tried a lot of things in the same time; dreamweaver with gulp, phpstorm with grunt/gulp, Komodo to work directly on the server ... it is a good idea, that nobody can see how many windows are open, how many ways i try to find the best for me.

BTW:

Is there any good rule how to resize pictures to the same size?
I guess i need 120*150; so i have to check the ratio of the source image; then resize it by with or height and crop top/bottom or left/right.

Sorry to bore you, just need a minute to talk ... and go back into code and harmony. :)

Last edited by:

Robert: Aug 19, 2020, 8:21 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

Code:
Is there any good rule how to resize pictures to the same size?
I guess i need 120*150; so i have to check the ratio of the source image; then resize it by with or height and crop top/bottom or left/right.

If you don't care about cropping into a square, you can just do:

Code:
convert '$read_path' -resize 1000x1000\> '$read_path'

If calling it from a Perl script, you need to escape the \> bit like:

Code:
`convert '$read_path' -resize 1000x1000\\\> '$read_path'`

That would convert the image to a max 1000x1000 (with one side matching, and then the other one either the same or scaled down to make it fit without distortione)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thank you, i have done it with resize and crop from ratio landscape or not;
but i really, really stuck on adding data to the tables

Puh --- after one hour of searching i remember it ... the files are saved not like i have done it the last ten years with floor(id/1000); it is (dir=last digit)/links_files_id-filename ...

Puh ... hard work ...

Last edited by:

Robert: Aug 20, 2020, 11:33 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

What are you trying to do? You may find my Thumb_Images plugin does what you need. Its normally a paid-for plugin, but seeing as it's been so long since I updated it - and the fact GLinks isn't being developed any more, I'll attach it here for you. This will let you thumbnail all your images into different sizes

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I dont want to touch the admin.cgi anymore in some days ...
I fetch everything from another source; and the files are saved as Links_Files.ID-File_Name in a directory that is done by $dir = substr(Links_Files.ID,-1); (=php)

Now the import/export will start in a minute ...
Quote Reply
Finally i have a new LSQL with around 6000 "Links"; these Links are shown as a modal with next/prev inside the category. The field URL is empty, i dont need it. All at all it is very funny to work with LSQL; for the style i have choosen Bulma; this one has one big thing i dont like, the names of the breakpoints, because i have really, really other ideas where to break. And so the names are just stupid now; foundation does a better job here. But foundation is not able to run with node 12; unbelievable.

To use gulp for the CSS, it is needed to build a dummy.html with the needed css from globals, also the templates are watched.

I have some smaller things to do now like "copy url" with a click, because the detailed pages are reduced for the modal window (with ?dont_show=1) without header and footer, but full pages without ?dont_show=1.
In the modal people have no link to copy and share.

One big problem now, i really dont like:
The build needs almost five minutes; 270 seconds.
And the server needs 80% CPU when building; so something is wrong, i guess.

And i really have now idea about fast-cgi or whatever we have used 20 years before. I thought a new server should run much, much more faster without any tricks.

Maybe the problem is that i use many, many globals to encode some text-fields to utf8;
maybe i should do this in the source code instead; i will try it in the next days.