Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Old Spider - New Crawler
I purchased and installed Spider 2.5 by GT. It isn't working right now and I've been advised to wait until the next upgrade to the plugin.

Has anyone had much experience with IUCrawler? Does it work the same way as the spider?

Thanks for the tips.

April

IndyLinks.com

guider@guider.com
A. Lougheed
IndyLinks.com
webmaster@indylinks.com
Quote Reply
Re: [aprillougheed] Old Spider - New Crawler In reply to
I do not have direct experience but if it is anything like all the other plugins developed by Iuni I would give it a real thumbs up!

Talk with Ian or Blip and read what going on at the macscripts.com forum. That should give you the best info on it.

Brian
Quote Reply
There is a version 2.0 of iuCrawler due out shortly which operates slightly differently to both the prior versions and the GT version.

It does not require access to the shell, but has some different module requirements.

The full specifications are not finalised yet, but I would be happy to address any requirements you have.

I expect beta testing will be finished within the next week, at which time we will announce the release.
=================
www.iuni.com - Custom Coding and Plugins
YouPlusMe.com - For a good time
Quote Reply
Re: [gsm] Old Spider - New Crawler In reply to
Ian, this is you as GSM? Why did you register a new user for yourself?

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Old Spider - New Crawler In reply to
No its Ians brother.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Old Spider - New Crawler In reply to
Oh. Thanks. Sorry to be offtopic.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
I have been playing with the GT spider off and on for a couple of years now (?) and what it's always needed, painfully needed, was better docs, an examples library of stored searches and crawls, and simpler interface.

The interface on the first version was soooo cool, I wonder why they gave it up <G>. It looked/worked more like fileman, had alternating color lines, etc and was almost intuitive to get around, but awefully complex to make work.

The newer look, is more like a plugin, than a stand alone application (like the first one was) and I _think_ the issues of stand alone vs plugin really clouded it's development, as it has for my own plugin development.

The bottom line is the spider is really powerful, and I've used parts of it to do things in other ways, never quite getting the spider to work.

But, if GT is smart, and they are, they need to release a plug-and-play version of the spider, with an easy install, ready for links, and:

1) better docs, even if it's just a hand-held walk-through on how to create a new search -- a complicated search. Starting small, showing the results, then adding complexity to the crawl.

2) a library of stored searches, that can be used, or built upon -- crawl all my links, update the following fields, crawl all my links, look for new links, etc.

3) A "google" type crawl and cache.

They needent get too concerned with the "extras" on that, as third parties will probably come to the rescue, such as page rankings, targeting, etc. But, the actual crawl, store and cache features need to be honed to a fine edge.

Just my 2cents, but this is probably as important to them in the long term as their mass mailer/auto responder system.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Old Spider - New Crawler In reply to
Yes, I so agree. To me the Spider is the most important PlugIn of all. I sure hope GT is working on that new version.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering if IUNI can tell me the differences between their product and GT's spider.

I'll stop over at their web site and ask.

April
A. Lougheed
IndyLinks.com
webmaster@indylinks.com
Quote Reply
Re: [gsm] Old Spider - New Crawler In reply to
Dear GSM - Will you help me understand how IUCrawler works? Is is a replacement for GT's spider or does it do something different.

I don't want to get involved in hacking around at the SQL database level.

I just want to ad some links.

April
A. Lougheed
IndyLinks.com
webmaster@indylinks.com
Quote Reply
Hi, just wondering...

I bought the spider but I actually never used it......
why is it not sold anymore?

and if I decide to use it on v2.2.0 will it damage anything??

thanks
Looking forward to your reply