Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
MyLinks database bug?
Hi,

I've just noticed that if I select show 5 links per page in the preferences, only one link shows up. All the other choices seem to work fine. Does everyone have this - or is it something I've done?

Thanks,

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] MyLinks database bug? In reply to
Hi,

Ive not experienced this before. Where exactly are you seeing it?...which page. Are you sure you have 5+ links to show?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] MyLinks database bug? In reply to
Hi Paul,

If I choose 5 links per page and have 2 saved links, then on both my own mylinks page and the public mylinks page I only see the first link. It does say 'Hello user you have 2 saved links' but only shows the first one. If I choose show 10 links per page, it works fine. I'm sure its probably something I've done to mess it up but I don't know what.

Laura.
Quote Reply
Paul,

Having spent a long time not getting anywhere, I've finally realised that the problem comes from the fact that most of my links are in several categories. The select_options("Limit $low,$mh") does not take into account that the links may be in multiple categories, so if my first link is in 5 categories and I set the limit at 5 links per page, it will only display 1 link on the first page. I'm a bit stuck now about how I can fix it - any ideas?

Thanks,

Laura.
Quote Reply
>>
The select_options("Limit $low,$mh") does not take into account that the links may be in multiple categories, so if my first link is in 5 categories and I set the limit at 5 links per page, it will only display 1 link on the first page.
<<

It did originally but people complained that it then started showing duplicate links and so it was requested that duplicates were removed which is why it now only shows one.

Its quite a big change to reverse it.
Quote Reply
Paul,

Thanks for replying. The duplicate links do not show up - which is what I want Smile. However, I still have the problem that if I have 2 links and the first one is in five categories, only 1 link shows up in my list and there is no span pages to find the second one. It doesn't look very good when it says 'you have 2 links saved' and only one appears. The problem gets much worse when there are more links saved.

I have fixed it for the 'not grouped' lists by changing the table to ('Links') instead of ('Links','CatLinks') but can't see how to fix the grouped lists easily so I think that I might have to take off the ability to group lists on my site - unless anyone else has any ideas?

Thanks, Laura.
Quote Reply
I can't seem to reproduce this.

I added a link into 10+ different categories and added it to my mylinks list, then I added another link to the list and both showed up.
Quote Reply
I'm having a problem with the number of links being displayed too, I've only added two links (one is in 5 categories - but I've only added it once), however 6 links are being displayed.

Mandi
Quote Reply
Re: [Evoken] MyLinks database bug? In reply to
Checkout post 102 here:

http://gossamer-threads.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=50;
Quote Reply
Thanks Paul, I'll give that a go!
Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

I don't seem to be receiving email notifications so I missed this.

Did you choose to show 5 links per page? And did it show both links when you selected grouping by category and not, and all different types of sorting (eg title ascending and descending)?

Thanks,

Laura.
Quote Reply
Hi Paul,

I just got this message:

Can't call method "fetchrow_hashref" on an undefined value at /home/cgi-bin/admin/Plugins/MyLinks_DB.pm line 310.

Could you please give me a clue on what needs to be done Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] MyLinks database bug? In reply to
Hi,

Can you turn on debugging and check for anything unusual.
Quote Reply
Sure, how do I turn on debugging?
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] MyLinks database bug? In reply to
Setup > Misc > Debug Level
Quote Reply
Paul,

Idea: How hard would it be to have different categories (or families) of saved "links"? In my case not just links, but also photos, articles, interviews, etc. I was thinking that depending on what category ID something was saved from, users could have:

Hello User,

You have saved:

33 Links

2 Articles

1 Review

... etc

Does this make any sense to you?

I think your plug in works great but hasn't given the gt community all it could so far.

PS, I will PM the error message in a minute.

Last edited by:

nt6: Aug 9, 2002, 10:53 AM
Quote Reply
Hi Paul

Another question on MyLinks..

Is there a tag built in or Global that will idetify the user as having Mylinks..so we can use:

<%if User Has mylinks%>

mylinkshome

<%else%>

get your favorite stored on our site

<%endif%>

Thanks in advance..
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory