Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Multiple links in category

Quote Reply
Multiple links in category
Hello,

I'm forming a links database of companies. Each category is a city. There are well over 150 cities, and many different companies. What I want to do is in each category display the company and a list of the company's links. But if there were more than one link in a company then it would display the company name and then the two links below it.

I.E.

City Name (this is the category):

Company

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

etc.

Unfortunately, if i were to make companies subcategories of cities then it would take forever to add a link to a company since some companies exist in all off the cities.

Is there a way I can do this?
Quote Reply
Re: [Gregorio] Multiple links in category In reply to
Links SQL v2.1.1 supports the ability to add a link into multiple categories in one step, but multiple select form for category selection is not available yet in the add.cgi at the moment (as I know).

Solutions:
1) Create yourself manually the category list into add.html template, as multiple select form (if did not try it myself, but should work). If your categories changes often, this workaround is not good. Not a difficult task, just open the source of the add.cgi page, and copy out the <select ... >... </select> part from there, and add the multi=xx attrib into it. Could be possible to do that even daily, not a difficult task, tough.
or
2) Create a global to generate multiple select form with categories for you. I'm sure the forum members will help you out with a global for that task.
or
3) Best solution will be my Xtended Add.Modify.Delete. plugin (XAMD), which will add many features & options for add-modify-delete related pages. However, this plugin is the last on my development list, and I don't know when will I finish it (there could be even 6-8 months until the likely release). Currently most features of the plugin already works, including your wanted feature, but there is still what to do on it.
If it's not urgent, then you could wait for the plugin. The plugin will solve your problem and you'll get a lot more features & options.

For more info about the plugin, check following threads:
[PLUGIN] Xtended Add.Modify.Delete plugin (XAMD) development news
and
Webmaster33's under development or planned plugins

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Multiple links in category In reply to
Quote:
Best solution will be my Xtended Add.Modify.Delete. plugin (XAMD),

The fact that you are "advertising" a plugin that is 8 months away from being released probably means infact it isn't the best solution at all :)
Quote Reply
Hi,

This is quite tricky and would probably take a bit of hacking depending on how you approached it. If you use the companies as your "links" then you would have to create a new table to house the actual links, so I think that approach should not be used. It would be best to keep the links within the Links table, which means you need a place for the companies - so I personally think it would be best to add them as sub-categories of cities.

You could probably use the yahoo style categories feature to save you having to add companies to every city.

I've not used this for a while so I may be talking rubbish but I think it should work - this info is being dredged up from my sub-conscious somewhere Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Multiple links in category In reply to
Paul, please stay away from my posts & my plugins! Mad
In fact, that I'm still doing my studies, and have only time to develop my plugins in my free time, does not mean that they are worse than any other... Cool

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
It was merely an observation, I never commented on the quality of your plugins.

Was I wrong in saying it was not ready for 8 months?....nope, because you said it yourself in the post above mine.

I'm not going to start a petty argument because I stated a factual remark based on your own words.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jan 11, 2003, 3:18 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Multiple links in category In reply to
- I mentioned fairly, that plugin will be not available in the near future. Gregorio is also able to read my post, and he does not need anybody to mention, that the plugin is still 6-8 months away. Also I told, it's _likely_ 6-8 months away. Maybe less, maybe more. Depends on my free time.
- plugin was listed as 3rd solution, was not intrusive or anything, and knowing the reasons above, I would not call my post as "advertisement", just a correct post with possible solutions. BTW: talking about plugins, mentioning features of them, suggesting them at correct situation I suppose it's not called as "advertisement" on the forum. Alex, wrote: "We do allow announcements or discussions about plugins developed for any of our products (free or commercial)."

I would not want again argument with you, so I aggree we should stop here.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
You asked someone to wait two thirds of a year for a plugin and said it was the best solution - I'm afraid it's not true whichever way you look at it. A solution can be found with a bit of thought and a couple of days of work.

I'm sorry that your plugin is currently not the best solution but please don't get angry with me for saying so. The length of your plugin release schedule is not my fault.

If you have anything further to say, please tell me in private.
Quote Reply
thanks for the help, it took me a while but i came up with a solution. I made a global "companies" and made a new field "company_name."

the global is pretty long, and might take some time to explain, if anyone wants to know what it is i can post it later on for sure