Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Locations - How to setup
Hi, looking for some guidance in terms of setting up Links 3.2 to display geographically based business information. For example,

Country Names
State/Province Names
Cities
Businesses

I thought I would try to do some testing to just setup some categories manually first to see how this could work but in the admin screen for links when I add category it brings up some choices that I'm not sure how to utilize:

Ie: Category Template
Continent
Country
Continent
Area
Area_Subcat

Is there a plugin already developed that would enable me to import my list of countries, states, and cities into Links 3.2.0 as categories and then I can import my list of businesses into the program? Does anyone have any sample sites like this that I could see online to see if this program will fit the needs of the project?

Many thanks for your valuable feedback as I've had a license for a while but not setup anything using this program so right now just trying to determine if this is the right tool for the job. Appreciate any comments or guidance you all can share.

Note: I did install Andy's Regional areas plugin from my install, but the docs are coming up as 404. Is this still in use, or is there anything else that would work?

Last edited by:

webones: Feb 11, 2008, 9:20 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [webones] Locations - How to setup In reply to
Hi,

Mmmm.... getting a full list of countries, states and cities is pretty hard.

Once you have it -ideally in just a format like so:

Country/State/City

...or for countries that don't have "states", something like:

Country/City

..then you could use this plugin to create the categories:

http://www.ultranerds.com/...i_Categories_v2_L14/

Hope that helps a bit.

Quote:
Note: I did install Andy's Regional areas plugin from my install, but the docs are coming up as 404. Is this still in use, or is there anything else that would work?

Are talking about something I've released? I don't remember that one Blush (could just be my memory, as I've written about 100 released plugins, so I'm allowed to forget a couple <G>)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Locations - How to setup In reply to
Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for the quick response. I already have my data list of countries, states, cities, etc..(so for me that part isn't difficult..what I was having trouble with was how to wrap my head around how I could set this up in an organized fashion so that ideally, I could do the locations import, then work on getting the data transferred over. I'll take a look at your Multi-Category plugin ---thanks a million for sending that as an option.

Here is the link to your regional-areas plugin that I found. I downloaded the one directly from the GTlinks admin panel, not from your site, so I guess i'ts possible that the docs are contained elsewhere, or that the version I downloaded wasn't up to date?

http://www.ultranerds.com/...Regional_Areas_L124/

If you have a moment, could you explain if this regional areas plugin still works and if there is a demo somewhere that I could see it?

Once I figure out if I can use the software for this project I may send you a pm to inquire about one of your plugin packages...

Appreciate the help, Andy.
Quote Reply
Re: [webones] Locations - How to setup In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
Here is the link to your regional-areas plugin that I found. I downloaded the one directly from the GTlinks admin panel, not from your site, so I guess i'ts possible that the docs are contained elsewhere, or that the version I downloaded wasn't up to date?

http://www.ultranerds.com/...Regional_Areas_L124/

If you have a moment, could you explain if this regional areas plugin still works and if there is a demo somewhere that I could see it?

Ah, that plugin <G>

I think you mis-understanding what that one does =)

It basically "splits" the full name into continent/country/status/city - and then saves them to the Category database (in the Continent,Country, State and Area), so you can use these tags in category.html)

.. it doesn't actually make the categories for you :)

In terms of getting the catetgories created, I think Multi_Categories should do the job fine for you Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!