Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Links SQL as a price comparison software

Quote Reply
Links SQL as a price comparison software
Hello,

I'm planning on developping a price comparison software....

Do you think that Links SQL could be used as a price comparison software ? (like Kelkoo for example - http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/)
If you think so, any mods that could help the development ?

What is the most common format of electronic shop to export their data ? (xml ? plain text ?)

Thanks a lot,
Ugo

Last edited by:

numeric: Aug 26, 2005, 1:52 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [numeric] Links SQL as a price comparison software In reply to
Quote:
What is the most common format of electronic shop to export their data ? (xml ? plain text ?)

CSV -> Comma Separated Values

Cheers,

Manuel

Last edited by:

yoc: Sep 1, 2005, 2:18 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Do you think that Links SQL could be used as a price comparison software ? (like Kelkoo for example - http://www.kelkoo.co.uk/)
If you think so, any mods that could help the development ?

Depending the features you need, it would need several plugins to be developed.
Might be good idea to check DBMan SQL, which could also serve such service, depending what features you need.

Before telling you anything more, about it, you need to specify all the features.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Links SQL as a price comparison software In reply to
Well I'm looking for a kelkoo-like...

So :

-> Price Comparison through categories -- (that's why I was thinking of Links SQL)
-> Search Engine
-> Some specs details about the product.
-> Filtering the results with the specs (like on the HDD part -> only SATA or only IDE, etc...)

On the merchant side :

-> The ability to import data with CSV/XML.
-> The ability to merge products with close names and same specs.
Like two 160 Gb HDD from the same manufacturer and the same specs to avoid doublon.
Quote Reply
BTW, if anyone has already such a work (or close to), I can pay for it...
Quote Reply

Quote:
-> Price Comparison through categories -- (that's why I was thinking of Links SQL)
Yes, that's good for LSQL.
Also LSQL has static rendering, what is not possible under DBMan SQL.

Quote:
-> Search Engine

Both LSQL & DBManSQL has.

Quote:
-> Some specs details about the product.

You mean a description, or separate field for each feature?

Quote:
-> Filtering the results with the specs (like on the HDD part -> only SATA or only IDE, etc...)

DBManSQL is better designed for such feature specific searches.
However LSQL can also handle such searches, by default.
Depending on the features you want, like feature grouping, and other sweeties, it might need plugin(s) for such special features.

Quote:
On the merchant side :

Something like agent, and merchant feature is implemented into DBMan SQL, however this only means a different login interface for the merchant. AFAIK it doesn't include such special features you listed, so you likely need a completely new LSQL merchant plugin.

Quote:
-> The ability to import data with CSV/XML.

This can be done with one of Andy's or my plugin (Admin multi-add plugin), or can be modified to have this feature for a merchant.

Quote:
-> The ability to merge products with close names and same specs.
Like two 160 Gb HDD from the same manufacturer and the same specs to avoid doublon.

This is a feature, which needs a plugin for sure.
Likely the whole merchant side needs one or more plugin(s).

On the client side, special features would also likely need at least one plugin, depending on features, but as I saw Kelkoo, it has many extra features, like:
Find By Brand, Find By Price, Sorting, Grouping, Page span, Sponsored links, Compare Deals with Kelkoo, TOP PRODUCTS, Kelkoo Special Offers, Top searches, Top products, COMPARE THE FEATURES OF THIS, Related content, Product feature comparison where each category has its own feature list, Compare prices, and maybe much more I didn't find...

Some features are already implemented into LSQL, but there are still many which needs custom plugin developments. And to tell you the truth, there are some serious features, like category based feature list, and there is no any existing similar plugin like that. I can develop such plugin for LSQL, and I have this on my development plan, but custom development of it, is a complex & expensive task. Note, Kelkoo also uses the URL rewrite system actively, that's why the URL looks so simple.
Also if you need a flexible system, it is also important feature, to implement scalability features into the plugin (if possible). A system which has so much traffic, like Ebay, needs scalability features. I don't know how much traffic has Kelkoo, but I bet isn't too slow. So if you ever plan similar traffic, scalability is also a must.

If you need a quote for a similar, but simpler system, then PM message me for my email address, and if you can provide me a detailed specification of the features, I will tell you a quote.

However note: development of such plugin(s) which gives LSQL features similar to Kelkoo, can cost several thousand dollars and might take a few months (depending of the number & quality of the features you ask).
You should ask such development, only if you can afford it...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...