Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Global causes crash?
Man...this is really weird. Can anyone see any reason why this global would cause the whole site to go offline?

Quote:
Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /.

Reason: Document contains no data

The global is;

Code:
sub {

my $query = shift;
use LWP;
my $got = get("http://www.mylittlesearchengine.com/newbooks/a2kpf_search.php?pfj=1&pfs=$query");

$got =~ s,document.write(',,sig;
$got = s,'),,sig;

return $got;

}

I am probably missing something really stupid here, but I just can't see it Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Global causes crash? In reply to
Did you try to load the URL in browser?
http://www.mylittlesearchengine.com/newbooks/a2kpf_search.php?pfj=1&pfs=query

You get:
Quote:
CGI Error
The specified CGI application misbehaved by not returning a complete set of HTTP headers. The headers it did return are:

Also error "Reason: Document contains no data" was caused because that error above.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Global causes crash? In reply to
Thats cos the domain name I put there is not the real one. For certain reasons, I did not want to put the real domain in it Tongue

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Ah. You didn't mention that until now Tongue

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Also I don't know if any LSQL module has a get() function exported or not.
If yes, then you might better use LWP::get() style in global.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] Global causes crash? In reply to
Seems like something to do with;

$got =~ s/,document.write('//sig;
$got =~ s/')//sig;

I'll keep playing with it. Commenting out those 2 lines seems to stop the error. Very werird Unimpressed

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Well yeah because you are not escaping ( and ) which are normally used to capture values into $1, $2, etc..
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Global causes crash? In reply to
OMG, you are right. Escaping the ( and ) fixed it. One weird thing I have not yet managed to workj out about servers running with mod_perl, is where the Perl errors are kept. Are they in error_log, or perl_error_log?

All the perl_error_log has, is stuff like;

[Thu May 15 02:37:52 2003] [notice] child pid 11197 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Thu May 15 02:37:56 2003] [notice] child pid 15455 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Thu May 15 02:37:58 2003] [notice] child pid 16834 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
[Thu May 15 02:38:21 2003] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] File does not exist: /usr/local/ghost/htdocs/

As an experienced man in mod_perl (bet you liked that comment...lol), is this normal? Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
The segmentation fault isn't normal Smile

mod_perl related errors are stored in the perl_error_log....others go in errer_log

Who's running a Gossamer server? Cool
Quote Reply
The seg faults were probably due to the hard crash problems you solved for him above ;)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
The segmentation fault isn't normal Smile

Didn't think so.

In Reply To:
Who's running a Gossamer server? Cool

Can't say Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
>> Who's running a Gossamer server?

I've got two of them, and so far, except for a brief time about 8 or 9 years ago, when I was in a beta/preferred program on a now-defunct hosting service segment of a company that became an internet megalith, it's been the best hosting I've had. Service and performance is great. Price/Value is great, lot's cheaper than most alternatives, and most "preferred" plans I've been on over the years.

... and I'm still using their "old" system <G> (something about having 6,000+ domains .....)

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Global causes crash? In reply to
Quote:
Who's running a Gossamer server?

I was asking Andy because I noticed the /ghost/ in one of the paths which is what Gossamer use, it wasn't a general question Cool ...but thanks for the info Smile
Quote Reply
I figured that... but a plug for GT's servers/service can't hurt, can it ;)

Please leave a PM here.