Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Editor Activity Monitoring - Plugin - VERSION 1.0.6

Quote Reply
Editor Activity Monitoring - Plugin - VERSION 1.0.6

VERSION 1.0.6

Lots of great suggestions. I expect to implement as many of these as I can over the next couple of versions. For now I am releasing a minor upgrade. This upgrade will require no table changes, so you can easily install this one over the top of version 1.0.5!

This version:
  • Introduction of a new custom tag (Editor Notes)- no table modifications necessary. See details below.
  • Fixed several bugs pertaining to misplaced '==' and 'eq'. The most noticable change will be the removal of the error in the "Repair Table" function and the customization of the TopX tag's fonts.
  • Changes and additions to the documents, including an explaination on how the editor profile pages are built. (thanks Brian ;-)
  • Added additional sorting to the TopX tag: If two or more editors have exactly the same number of activity, including zero, then these editors will be sorted by their number of logins.

Editor Notes Tag

<%Plugins::EditorMonitor::EditorNotes%> Use this tag to display the editor notes column from your Editor Details table. This is a custom column for whatever use you might want. The column can hold up to 255 characters. The tag will simply output exactly what you place into this tag. It could contain html for example, to show a hyperlink, some notes, or a message to an individual editor. Use your imagination!

Footnote: I have not forgotten the dynamic directory issue.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

pugdog: Jun 16, 2002, 8:45 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Editor Activity Monitoring - Plugin - VERSION 1.0.6 In reply to

Thanks Pugdog for moving this to a new thread. Things were getting very burried in the last thread.

If anyone wants to read the history of suggestion etc, including some screenshots, please visit the original thread:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=194787#194787.

I guess for big threads like this (and someone please correct me if I am going about this the wrong way) is to start a new thread for a new version. This will hopfully be a lesser strain on the forum resources. If you have any lengthy comments or discussion, you can also take them to my own forum I have setup for this plug-in. See 'Support' in my signature block.

Thanks Everyone! Smile

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 16, 2002, 12:16 PM
Quote Reply
Editor Profile Pages - Changing Details In reply to
I have had a few suggestions to add the ability for editors to edit some of their profile details themselves.

I plan to allow this to happen through the editor browser, so that the editor is already logged in, and can easily see their details, as well as other stats in one place. I don't see the benefit in writing a completley seperate login screen for editors, when one already exists.

You would be able to add only those form items you want your editors to be able to modify into browser_info.html for example.

Bio : [ text box ] |SUBMIT|

Email: [ text box ] |SUBMIT|

and so on.

When the submit button is pressed, only the field next to the item is updated in your database. The advantage to this over a form with one submit button, is YOU can control which items are in the form!

This makes logical sense at the time of writing.... comments welcome of course.

EDIT: If I cannot process these forms from within browser_info.html (your editors browser area), then I will consider a seperate login template.

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 16, 2002, 1:29 PM
Quote Reply
UPDATE - Editor Profile Pages Modify In reply to

UPDATE: Editors can modify their own details for their editor profile pages.

From version 1.0.7 your editors will be able to modify their profile details including their Bio, Email, Web Pages and Address. You can also set which of these items you don't want your editor to be able to change.

The Profile Modification Form is template based, so you can completely customize its look and feel. All you have to do is place a link with an EM tag into your Editors Browser (instructions in the docs), customize your template, and you are up and running with this new feature!

You can even specify the success message they reveive after a successful database update!

I have included a default template with the installation, to further save you time in customization. The template has a list of available tags in its header, with instructions, just like your Links templates.

This new interface will enhance your editors experience, and give them the interaction that will seperate your site from others, and offer your editors something more in return for their work. This interface also paves the way for many new and exciting features to come!

EDIT:

I have sucessfully added a bad word filter (basic) and HTML stripper to this, so that your editors don't put naughty things into their profiles. You should check them now and then anyways to be completley safe.

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 16, 2002, 10:58 PM
Quote Reply
TopXEditorActivity Tag Update In reply to

TAG UPDATE - TopXEditorActivity

The TopXEditorActivity tag has been updated to now automatically generate a link from each of the editor's names to their profile pages.

TOP 5 Editors
1 Jackson
2 Tyler
3 Maggie
4 Dug
5 Jerry

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] TopXEditorActivity Tag Update In reply to
Excellent!

Great idea. Another way of creating user interaction with editors as well as another marketing opportunity.

Keep it up!
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] TopXEditorActivity Tag Update In reply to

EDITOR SIGN UP IDEAS

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the comments on the TopX tag.

After talking with another potential client, and having a little time to think about it, I might be adding an editor signup form of some description for 1.0.8 or 1.0.9.

Basically, the form will be customizable (template based) like the upcoming Editor Profile Update Form. The sign-up form will ONLY be accessible to logged in users. The advantage to this is, you already have a validated user and hopefully more authentic user information (email etc). It also helps prevent spamming of the signup form! The information when submited would go to some kind of pending box (nothing too complicated!). There are still a few problems with this, as EM can only add an editor once you have assigned them a category the browser. Also, drop down lists of the requested category are not practical for those who have 50,000 categories. Everything must kept so it could be used with anyones setup (flexibity). Also, development time for me!

The form will be basic, to conform with anyones needs:

Username [automatically filled in]
Email [automatically filled in]
Requested Category 1[ could be auto filled if the form is only accessed from the category they want]
Requested Category 2 [a second preference - manually filled]
Why they want to be an editor or whatever [ a text field for your editor to write whatever thay want, depending on your needs].

Of course, as with any of the EM feaatures, if you setup has different requirements, you don't have to use the form at all.

Comments welcome.

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 18, 2002, 8:03 AM
Quote Reply
Great work.

This will provide some "ease of use" that using an outside form would not. As well, as you said the form would be something much like a "non-validated" link. These are much easier to manage I believe.

In fact, what if it were handled in much the same way as a link validation? Just a thought.

Keep it up Ian. This is great stuff!
Quote Reply
The thing with the Editors system, is this:

An editor really does become an editor the moment you assign them a category in Links. Anything that EM does, will not give your editor real editing privileges until you give it to them. So they are will be pending regardless.

Validation would be in the form of seeing that there is an application (the form could be emailed to you for example). You can then decide if you want them, click "Validate Editor" and they would get your acceptance email.

You still have to assign them a category in your Links however, even if they are validated.

So how about this:
  1. Editor signs up on form on available to users
  2. They manually select the category they want (auto form filling for this maybe maybe at a later date) If it is not clear, then just ask them!
  3. Form is emailed to you and their name is put into a validation list.
  4. You can click on validate from a name in the pending editors list, and your congradulations email template is sent to them.
  5. You then assign them their category in Links, click repair, and the process is complete.

This looks like a lot of work for meUnsure. But I will look at it at some stage. Can't say when right now. It may be pretty basic to start off with, and evolve from thereWink

Links Plugins
Quote Reply
I think you are on the right track with this.

As you are obviously well aware of anything that saves time and/or increases productivity is a good thing. And these mods you are doing now will do both.

Great work!
Quote Reply

UPDATE

As an additional feature for keeping an eye on what your editors are placing on their profiles pages, I have added a feature where the admin (you) will be emailed the changed details each time an editor updates their profile. This email is template based, so you can customize it if you wish, although you would be the only one seeing it!

******** EDITOR PROFILE UPDATE ********

Editor: Barbara
---------------------------------------
Address: Victoria, BC
Bio: House mom with a passion for editing
Email: testing@hotnail.com
Web Sites: http://www.hotnail.ca
---------------------------------------

EDIT: I have added a plug-in option so you can turn this feature on or off easily if you don't want to be emailed.

Plugin Options

Select Yes if you want an email sent to you each time an editor updates their profile.

Profile_Email No [ ] Yes [x]

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 18, 2002, 7:14 PM
Quote Reply
EDITOR APPLICATION FORM In reply to

EDITOR APPLICATION FORM

PROPOSED TABLE STRUCTURE

The table structure is mostly modeled after the fields used by the sign-up form on my own site, plus a custom field for any type of information you want to add (text). The application form will be template based and fully customizable... you can choose which field to use, and which to omit, depending on your setup.

ID => Reserved
Username => Auto generated from login name
Email => Auto generated from user details
RealName => Applicant's Real Name
Address => Applicant's Address
Occupation => Applicant's Occupation
Preference_A => Category Preference 1st
PID_A => Reserved
Preference_B => Category Preference 2nd
PID_B => Reserved
App_Text_A => Custom Field A, I use this for "why I would make a good editor"
App_Text_B => Custom Field B - what ever you like... 255 char limit
Languages => Languages spoken/fluent
Reference => Username of another editor for a reference - 75 char limit - use for whatever you like
Application_Status => Reserved
Application_Date => Auto generated date/time stamp when the form was submitted

The new table 'EditorPending' will be included in 1.0.7, but not used. This is simply to allow for easier upgrade when the time comes. Comments welcome. You can click on 'Become an Editor' on my site to see an example of this form in use. Please do NOT submit!

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 18, 2002, 11:33 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] EDITOR APPLICATION FORM In reply to

Hi

Sounds nice, one quiz :
In Reply To:

Preference_A => Category Preference 1st
Preference_B => Category Preference 2nd

Are those a drop down menu or the users has to type the exact name or ID, or will they be picked up from the category they came from?
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] EDITOR APPLICATION FORM In reply to
In the early stages of this, it will be a manually entered item. Down the track, all going well, perhaps filled in based on the category the user was in, when they clicked on "Become an Editor". This is more portable for different users of the plug-in than the drop down menu, simply because of performance and directory size issues.

It is still too early to say exactly how an editor will reach this form, but hopefully it will end up being a custom tag, which will send the category information as well as the user to the form. The form will then be automatically filled in where information is known. When the user submits the application, the data is stored in the EditorPending table as well as an email of the data being forwarded to admin. Also, the editor will recieve a "Thank you for your application" email, which you will be able to customize. You can see there are a lot of steps and work in this, this is why it is going to be slowly introduced over a couple of versions.

In any case the table fields are there, how they get filled in is something I am going to have to figure out.

Hopefully the fields in the table will be sufficient to suit the varied needs of different users sites. Of course you can choose not to include any of the fields when you customize the template file for the form. I hope to include a default template (almost identical to the one on my site), so customization is a breeze!

Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Jun 18, 2002, 11:37 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] EDITOR APPLICATION FORM In reply to

Version 1.1.0 is out, and disucssion related to this version can be found at:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=201436#201436

Links Plugins