Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Display HTML to cut and paste

Quote Reply
Display HTML to cut and paste
We are developing a free health articles database using LinksSQL. The purpose of this database is that webmasters can take the articles and use them as content on their web sites or in their email newsletters.

I would like to have the ability for the webmaster to be able to click a link and have the article translated into HTML. Then the webmaster can cut and paste the article either into their web site or into their newsletter.

Our programmer can create this functionality. However, we were wondering if any plugins already exist that do something like this. I have looked through all of them, but I haven't found what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions before we start the programming work?
Quote Reply
Re: [renken] Display HTML to cut and paste In reply to
Hi,

Have you tried HTML Area? Its *very* cool, and free. GForum's Advanced Editor is based off this I believe.

I've implimented it into quite a few installs now, and its relativly easy (best way to do it is through browser.cgi).

HyperTherm posted a very helpful post regarding implication of this, so it may be worth taking a look :)

Hope that helps.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Display HTML to cut and paste In reply to
Hey Andy.

Se e if this can interest you. it talks something about perl integration.

http://www.fckeditor.net/

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Display HTML to cut and paste In reply to
I'm going to try the one you suggested HyperTherm as http://www.htmlarea.com is now a directory of many, many WYSIWIG editors.
Quote Reply
If you try and succeed with http://www.fckeditor.net/ do post your experiences for others to follow including me :)

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
http://www.fckeditor.net/ is suppose to be *great*, would be very interesting to see it working in Links SQL.

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
I think this should be quite straightforward. If you are adding the articles yourself and including the html in the database, then you would just need a template that included a text box that took the entry from the database. Something like this:

<form name=form1>
<textarea name=textarea rows=5 cols=50>

<%Description%>
</textarea>
<br>
<a href="javascript:selectAll('form1.textarea1')">click
to select code</a><br>
</form>

Of course, if you want people to be able to add the article then having an html editor will be useful.
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Display HTML to cut and paste In reply to
I presumed that html editors would be "New Addition" in glinks 3.0.0. Would take a shot at the recent find once migration to glinks 3.0 is completed. One drawback as i could see is wrt spellchecker being ie restricted and requiring client side actions (download/installs etc).

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
I have got the text editor working. Now I have to try and install it for my specific application. If you'd like to see it work, you can go here:
http://www.e-healthcaresolutions.com/articles/

Of course, you will have to register. But then go to Add Article and you will see it functioning in the "Article Text" part of the form. It does work, but I'm still tweaking a few things. It was very easy to install, very easy.

And I simply followed the installation and "integration" instructions in FCKeditor, I put the following in the add.html template:
<head>

<script type="text/javascript" src="/FCKeditor/fckeditor.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">
window.onload = function()
{
var oFCKeditor = new FCKeditor( 'articletext' ) ;
oFCKeditor.ReplaceTextarea() ;
}
</script>
</head>

I put this in the include_form.html template:

<textarea wrap="virtual" id="articletext" name="articletext" cols="75" rows="20"><%if articletext%><%articletext%><%endif%></textarea>

Quote Reply
Thanks.
Actually js integration is as simple as it is in HTMLArea. it is the perl integration which is lacking all the documentaion. sample01.cgi sample02.cgi are the ones in which is of interest but due to lack of documentation on that i just said quits for the time being. Perhaps i did not have the patience of trying it out :)

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
I actually had both htmlAREA and FCKeditor working, but I've shelved them for now as well.

My problem is FireFox seemed glitchy with them. Multiple entries in the forward/backward page navigation were appearing, and if you right-click in the textarea, a status bar message appears saying it's loading something (what, I don't know, and if NEVER completes).

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] Display HTML to cut and paste In reply to
I have actually shelved FCKeditor, as well. I found another solution for making the HTML display in a more simple way. I just used a <textarea> and put the stuff in between that I wanted to display... worked like a charm.
Quote Reply
I'm doing the same thing. Problem is, I'm inserting <br> tags in place of linebreaks to at least allow paragraphics with plain text. When someone actually uses HTML formatted text however, you end up with more spacing than neccessary. So, you might want to add a column like "isHTML", then add a checkbox option to your form. Then when you do your outputing, check the value of isHTML to handle linebreaking.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.