Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

DirectoryDepth as site map builder?

Quote Reply
DirectoryDepth as site map builder?
Hello Ian,

I was just looking at the stats that this plug in generates and was thinking that a site map could be built if I was able to control how the results are displayed in a page... Just an idea.
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] DirectoryDepth as site map builder? In reply to
Hi nt6,

Interesting idea.

There is nothing stopping you from making a global or function which draws on the data DD makes.

What kind of format were you thinking for a site map? The map could get awful big in some cases, is why I ask.
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] DirectoryDepth as site map builder? In reply to
Hi Ian,

Well if over night I could pick up perl, then there would really be nothing stopping me. I just woke up and unfortunately I am still the same ignorant non perl programmer as yesterday Wink So I am not even capable of writing my own globals... Let alone do what I suggested.

As for the format of the site map I was thinking of something "simple" I know that in my case some categories would have hundreds of subcats while others would only have one. The idea of a map came from your plug in and the fact that to my knowledge no one else has such a thing.

I do not know how complicated it would be so that it works for all kinds of sites. I am assuming that lsql users would be willing to pay for this as a commercial plugin if the price is right.

Are your computer problems solved?
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] DirectoryDepth as site map builder? In reply to
Hi nt6,

I here you on the Perl... I am still a learner myself, and keep hoping to wake up a perl expert.

I like the idea, and I will add it to the list of things I want to do.

If anyone else has any comments on how the layout of the output shouuld be, please comment. I can picture how to do it (code wise) at least in part. The output is the part I am not seeing yet.

Ian

PS. I hope to have a computer next week!

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins

Last edited by:

Ian: Aug 30, 2002, 7:05 AM
Quote Reply
Okay Good luck Ian.
Quote Reply
Regarding the monster-sized site maps that some sites would generate, you could have a site map that behaves just like Links Yahoo Subcats....only, you could limit the output to, say, the first 2 or 3 layers deep.

So, on the site map page, you might see just the top cats and the next level down, rather than all layers. I guess you could have an option in the site map hack of "how many levels" where you would enter a number, like 1 or 2 or whatever, to define the limit on how deep to go.

Then, whatever you click just sends you to that category page.

Does that help at all? Hope so... Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] DirectoryDepth as site map builder? In reply to
Yeah, I see what you mean. Good idea too.

Thanks Dogtags :)

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
ANyone have any luck building a site map this way. Sounds like a great idea. I'd love to get one up.

Thanks,

Craven
Quote Reply
Re: [craven32] DirectoryDepth as site map builder? In reply to
Does this help?

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=243460#243460