Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Development on Local Machine (for testing)

Quote Reply
Development on Local Machine (for testing)
Is it possible/allowed to have a development copy of Links SQL on a local windows machine. I seem to be having trouble with the cgi stuff.

In addition to this is the following a possible development of the software also:

I would like to be able to have a detail page for a number of links, and assign it as an article, so that a script can run to link to the last 5 articles (or however many) even though they may be in different categories. I have a project in mind the would require this. So the index page for a section could have a bit about recent articles with links to them.

Does that follow?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [ukseo] Development on Local Machine (for testing) In reply to
Anyone? I really need to test locally to avoid errors.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Sure you can run linksql on your desktop or laptop. I have been running it on my win98, 2k and xp for testing. You need to install Apach server for windows and then install linsql. No problem to run cgi in windows.

For your 2nd question, you can modify your code to do it or write a plugin or even use globals, such as add some line to build_detailed in build.pm and ask the subroutine to build a index page for all detailed pages or on some conditions, if the latter is the case, you can add a column to links table such as "Build_index" with value "yes" or "no", then build.pm will know which detailed page will be listed on index page.

Long
Quote Reply
Hi. This may be of some help to you;

http://www.ultranerds.com/cgi-bin/details/77.html

It gives you a new drop-down yes/no select box, where you can turn it on/off as you wish. Turning off, will stop a detailed page being built for that specific link.... otherwise it will build a detailed page for each link, that has this field set to "Yes"

Cool

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Development on Local Machine (for testing) In reply to
Thanks long. At least I know it can be done. Just got to get my cgi running, i think the permissions are messing with me.

Andy. Top pluggin, you may well be making a sale on that on. By the time I figured out how to do I could have earned $15 busking and I cant sing at all :)

Last edited by:

ukseo: May 7, 2004, 1:19 AM
Quote Reply
Quote:
Andy. Top pluggin, you may well be making a sale on that on. By the time I figured out how to do I could have earned $15 busking and I cant sant at all :)

Angelic

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!