Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Dead link error handler
Hi

Ok this issue was discussed several times before but i do not remember getting around to a solution.

Is there a way to create a default error page that will be displayed if a link returns an dead link or error or (404,500,405,401....)?
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] Dead link error handler In reply to
How do you mean. Like a script that would get called (e.g. script.cgi?url=http://www.site.com/page.html), and then return an error code if it has problems, and if not redirect through jump.cgi ???

If so, I'd imagine that it is relativly easy to do. I'm still not quite god enough with Links SQL to try and pull this one off quickly, but I may have a look at it.

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [AndyNewby] Dead link error handler In reply to
yes

what I mean is a script that will check the link upon clicking on it and if it is dead will return a default error page, otherwise it will send the user to the page...
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] Dead link error handler In reply to
That's an interesting idea.

You would need to use jump.cgi (or similar) but what you would do is pre-request the page, or headers. If you get a valid (ie: 200) response, you can go there. Otherwise, log the error, and print a page to the user with the error, the fact the admin has been notified, and perhaps more detailed info depending on what the response was.

This actually sounds like a good upgrade to jump.cgi (a feature that could be turned on/off) or at the least a valid plugin (and upgrade to a bad links script).

It shouldn't be very hard, but it will add overhead, but it would certainly help the dead link management.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Dead link error handler In reply to
If it was to log the link as an error, it would need to also know that there has already been/hasn't already been an email sent. Otherwise the owner could get up and find hundreds of duplicate error emails in their inbox Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!