Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Control Panel Plugin
Hi,

I am one of those users that has numerous plugins and mods that require a person to go to more than one area to see what is going on with my Links SQL install.

What I would like to suggest is a control panel that is housed on or takes the place of the home_right.html page that currently has some text from GT about the admin area on it.

My idea would be to have a section on this page for each function that must be monitored. For example:

See attached picture (mock up)

As a new plugin is added it can be added to the console for management.

Just a thought!Cool

Last edited by:

Teambldr: Aug 6, 2002, 12:23 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] Control Panel Plugin In reply to
I am still figuring the best way to detect other plugin functions, and I think I might be getting close to what I want.

This type of thing will need this, as it depends on what plug-ins a user has installed of course.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [Ian] Control Panel Plugin In reply to
What might be a good idea Ian is to create a piece of code that will allow other developers the ability to link into the console rather than trying to find their code.

Just a thought!Wink
Quote Reply
Its already there, its just that it is not necessarily in the right format for others to use and produce the desired output.

Also, you could try and produce a page like you are doing without code (just an html template), by placing tags into the righ place in the right way - admittedly this would be a little tougher to get right.

One plugin can easily call a function from another plugin for example and use its output (I do this with NewsletterPlus). The other plugin does not necessarily have to be one of mine either. NP currently calls the top 10 searches produces by searchlogger for example.

http://www.iuni.com/...tware/web/index.html
Links Plugins
Quote Reply
What I was thinking is that if you created a plugin that accessed other plugin tags you would need to update it all the time as new plugins came out whereas if you created a code to use in all plugins that wanted their plugin on the control panel then they would be the ones gaining access rather than you having to code them in each time.

A time saving thought?
Quote Reply
Something else I was thinking is that a code could be put in that announced to the LINKS SQL owner that an upgrade was available for a specific plugin on that page. Kind of like a post it note on the plugins section in the control panel.

I have no clue if this is possible but....Cool
Quote Reply
This would need a cron job, or a hook in the admin area that every time you loaded the main admin, it would check for updates to the plugins. It could be done. How resource intesive it would be, I don't know.

If GT wanted to centralize it, and make update data available in an XML type format, then it might be easier to show.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Control Panel Plugin In reply to
Whatever it takes!Cool

I just think that the sign on screen is not used for anything now except GT general info and if everything you needed to look at was on one main screen that you see everytime you load up it would make the management of a site MUCH easier.
Quote Reply
If GT made the data of program updates available, and simply kept track of your license number, you could get an update of programs from the time you last logged on.

With a bit more effort, you could get an update of what was behind the times by comparing the xml feed from GT to the installed programs on your system. That requires some local codeing.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.