Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Category Page Link Sorting : User Ability

Quote Reply
Category Page Link Sorting : User Ability
I am able to give users the option for sorting search results based on any given field, however am wondering if it would be possible to give users ability to sort listing within given category based on Title, Rate, .. etc (or any given field) and the output will be still appearing as the category page layout and not search page layout.

For example:
Current sorting option is like search.cgi?link_search=Yes&catid=75;sb=Title;so=DESC however the output is that of search_result.html page.

Now how can the sorting be done, so when user is browsing Category XYZ, above the link.html display, there will be option will be allow users sort the output (display) based on Title, or Rating or Add Date.. etc. and still see the category.html display instead of search_result.html. (suddenly changing the layout from category to search_result page could confuse the user Frown )

Any thoughts?

Vishal

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Category Page Link Sorting : User Ability In reply to
Using page.cgi, this should work;

g=Full_Category/Name/Here;sb=Title;so=DESC

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Category Page Link Sorting : User Ability In reply to
In Reply To:
Using page.cgi, this should work;

g=Full_Category/Name/Here;sb=Title;so=DESC

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Ohhhhh it does.. :)

Thanks a lot my friend, it works like a charm.

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
Hi,

I am able to make this work for the category first page, however it does not seem to work within page spanning. So if there are 10 pages within the category and suppose by using g=Full_Category/Name/Here;sb=Title;so=DESC if I am allowing users to sort listing based on Title, it shows fine on the first page, however when I click on 'Second' page it goes back to default sort order.

Any thoughts on how to maintain the user selected sort order during page spanning?

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
Re: [SWDevil.Com] Category Page Link Sorting : User Ability In reply to
Hi,

You could try setting them in Setup> Build Options > dynamic_preserve (i.e sb and so)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Although this works, it's sort of ugly since it keeps it on every link. Coincidentally, I fixed this issue today and it'll be in the next release.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

Yes you are right, by chaging the setup it works wonderful :)

In Setup > Build Option > dynamic_preserve default options where t,d,s and I changed it to t,d,s,sb,so and seems like it is working great. The only thing is users are making switch/jump to dynamic mode of the site from static mode, however for allowing them to use this feature, I guess the jump is worth the trade.

By the way, what do you know what does t,d,s stands for?,

Thanks a lot for help, I appreciate it very much.

P.S. Did you got my PM/email? just wanted to make sure that you received it, as I haven't heard back from you.

Vishal

Vishal
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Category Page Link Sorting : User Ability In reply to
In Reply To:
Although this works, it's sort of ugly since it keeps it on every link. Coincidentally, I fixed this issue today and it'll be in the next release.

Hey Adrian,

Thank you very much for the update & keep up the great work of making GLinks even better every day.

Vishal

Vishal