Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Build All/Staggered questions

Quote Reply
Build All/Staggered questions
Our site has about 15,000 pages (categories) and in order to build all those pages using "Build Staggered" usually it takes about 2 hours to complete static pages generation. Build all is not working at all, it always stops in the middle of the process. We are planning a major site expansion with over 100,000 new pages of content. If we have to use "Build Staggered" for generating over 120,000 pages it will take almost 16 hours to complete entire build process. The site is hosted in a dedicated Windows server with full admin access.

My questions are:

1. Is there a better method to build all those pages faster, preferably in the background service without using Web based interface?

2. Is the a possibility to change build staggered parameters such as number of pages per run?

3. Is it possible (or is there a plug-in) to restrict the function so it can build only specific categories with all their subcategories?

Many Thanks in advance!

Armen
Quote Reply
Re: [AMIXIMA] Build All/Staggered questions In reply to
What about "Build Changed"?

This option will build only changed categories and links.

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Hi Armen,

For point 1), you can setup a cronjob for that. The build can be run hourly, daily, weekly, etc.

For point 3), I have a plugin to do that job.

Cheers,

Dat

Programming and creating plugins and templates
Blog
Quote Reply
Re: [eupos] Build All/Staggered questions In reply to
Boris, thanks for taking time to respond to my questions.

Unfortunately "build changed" will not speed up generating all 120,000 pages as well as is only working if you change links or categories not the templates.

Armen
Quote Reply
You can also run the nph-build.cgi script from command line. It will be a bit faster than building staggered since it won't have the delays between pages.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Build All/Staggered questions In reply to
Or even easier, just set to run at the quietest time on your server via cronjob :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!