Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[brainstorm] MyLinks Plugin Suggestions

Quote Reply
[brainstorm] MyLinks Plugin Suggestions
We asked our testers to try out the MyLinks plugin features, and report back on how they thought they might use it, and how it could be extended. Here are some of their ideas and conclusions (the ones which I think the MyLinks author might actually consider worthwhile or feasible) ...

1. Combined with Pagebuilder, could provide the basis of a personal workspace (important for us, as the project is intended as a research resource) -- each registered could have a personal page where they can keep and edit notes (not just link lists) and contribute to the overall project.

2. A private memo pad, preferably a list or tree of individual date-stamped, editable notes.

3. They all wanted category bookmarks.

4. An admin option to be notified of new custom links (just so we know what the users are getting up to)

5. Some way of sending custom links to the unvalidated queue of the main database -- or, for editors, to move them directly to the appropriate category.

6. An option for custom lists to be available to other users if the owner was trusted by admin, eg: minimum 6 months after registration.

7. Custom fields for custom lists.

What are our chances?
Quote Reply
Re: [YoYoYoYo] [brainstorm] MyLinks Plugin Suggestions In reply to
Quote:
1. Combined with Pagebuilder, could provide the basis of a personal workspace (important for us, as the project is intended as a research resource) -- each registered could have a personal page where they can keep and edit notes (not just link lists) and contribute to the overall project.

2. A private memo pad, preferably a list or tree of individual date-stamped, editable notes.

I don't know how that goes with page builder (I don't have a copy of that, or use it) but it sounds like a plugin in and of itself, sort of a personal website, with a custom list. I can see this as a "paid" option for sites, with the next release of Links (or Andy's ecommerce plug in). Offer extended list and memo features for a small fee. Creating this sort of memo feature is not hard. All you need is an input form, and a new database and relation table. And, actually, you don't need the relation table, since the memos don't stand on their own, the key field can be the Username, and the memos live/die with the Username like Links do. The problem is, that once this is implemented, people are going to want more <G>.

Quote:
3. They all wanted category bookmarks.

That's probably possible.... as a separate list, not part of links list, since database would be different. eg: CategoryID vs LinkID

Quote:
4. An admin option to be notified of new custom links (just so we know what the users are getting up to)

Isn't that sort of an invasion of privacy? I can see a "stats" option, which shows the most popular links, and # of times it's been linked to (how many custom lists it's on), maybe with a "most recent" feature, but that means more fields in the database.

Quote:
5. Some way of sending custom links to the unvalidated queue of the main database -- or, for editors, to move them directly to the appropriate category.

I've actually thought about that.... a "submit" feature, so a user can see if their links are in the main database, and if not, "submit" them directly

Quote:
6. An option for custom lists to be available to other users if the owner was trusted by admin, eg: minimum 6 months after registration.

Not exactly sure what you mean here, but see my post above a few days ago.

Quote:
7. Custom fields for custom lists.

I think I said that this would be available, since the program doesn't care what fields are in the table, as long as the 2 or 3 key fields are there. (sort of like the Links table). The issue is if additional custom lists are available, and that would most likely be in the second release, or a separate plugin. Most of the features you are asking for go beyond a MyFavLinks, and sort of into the expanded/extended version I mused about briefly ;) The goal of this first step is to simply upgrade all the MyLinks and MyFaves people to a central/common system, that can then be expanded upon.

Quote:

What are our chances?

Better than the lottery ;)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.