Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ UPCOMING PLUGIN ] Auto_Backup

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
[ UPCOMING PLUGIN ] Auto_Backup
After many requests, and personal data loss, I am writing a Plugin that will back up primary data for Links SQL. It will support;

Templates
DEFS
ConfigData (your path, etc)
Database
Plugin Hooks

Each of the above have a 'Restore' function, and the ability to setup crons to run them daily/bi-weekly/weekly/monthly, etc.

The current version will allow you to restore any of the above, either from a remote backup, or a copy on your server.

Features I will be adding once version 1 has been proved stable;

Ability to only restore certain templates and .defs. The ability to upload files from your PC, and any other ideas you guys can come up with.

The price will be $50, or free to those who already own the '$200 Plugins Package' (see link in signature).

If you have any ideas for features etc, please let me know. I'm very impressed with the plugin so far ... and feel it will be a great addition to Links SQL (mainly due to the fact I have been caught un-aware several times recently, where the above backups would have come in very handy).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ UPCOMING PLUGIN ] Auto_Backup In reply to
Let me be the first to say this sounds ultra cool :)

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [ UPCOMING PLUGIN ] Auto_Backup In reply to
Thanks :) I'm getting quite close to completing this. If I find enough time tomorrow, between custom work, I may be ready to release a beta version some time at the weekend Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Andy;

Is this following the specs and features that I laid out?
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] [ UPCOMING PLUGIN ] Auto_Backup In reply to
Not currently. I'm going to be a more 'basic' version working first, and get it beta tested. Then, once that is stable, I'll work on adding some of the features you requested (file comparisons, restoration of one or so files, etc).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi, Andy;

I agree, the bells and whistles can wait, but it should be usable to 95% of Links users, so that means that it has to have some smarts to restore missing /custom fields.

In my post requesting that a Backup Plugin be programmed, I did lay out some of what would be needed for "Basic" functionality.

Clear and simple functionality that eliminates mistakes is critical.

We had some MySql data lost recently, so such a plugin would be a lifesaver.

As I'm one of the people that suggested a Backup Plugin, and I'm a good tester, I'm requesting you add me on to the Beta Testers List!
Quote Reply
>>>I'm requesting you add me on to the Beta Testers List! <<<

No problems Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=248094#248094

lol
Quote Reply
Re: [eljot] [ UPCOMING PLUGIN ] Auto_Backup In reply to
I'm not sure what you are getting at? This thread is aimed at getting ideas, and a couple of beta-testers.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
A lot of people think

there is a difference between this what they do and this what others do.

Often, it's only the same thing from another view. Wink

Best regards from
Bremen/Germany

Lothar
Quote Reply
Just keeping everyone updated. I havn't stopped developing this plugin. I've just got a bit bogged down with custom work (thus why I'm working a sunday) ... I will get there though... its so close, but its not the kind of plugin you can rush, otherwise it will end up screwing someones site up Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Another updte.

I have put this plugin on hold for a few days, because I am transfering LinksSQL.net to a dedicated G-Host server. I need a reliable server for all my sites, and GT offer great backups and other services on their dedicated servers. I am still working on this.. and I'm *very* close to finishing it. I mainly just have the FTP backing up up stuff to do now, and a bit mor testing (as well as writing the documentation, boring!) ...

Just in case anyone was wondering how I was getting on with this Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy;

Don't rush it at ALL! We would all prefer a bug free and complete Backup plugin 2 weeks later than one problematic in 2 days.

You can make it to become one of the most important plugins available.

Please DO send me a private message on getting a copy to beta test and make suggestions on. I can load it up with 10,000 records easily, etc.

There's bound to be bugs, so a few de-bugging cycles really are suggested!

I can help out in that manner.

regards...
Quote Reply
Yeah, will do. Agreed on taking longer to get it done (and being less buggy). The last thing we need is a plugin that will screw someones server up worse than a crash would Blush

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
wow...this sounds like a way kewl plug in....

i know i could use right about now!Blush
Quote Reply
Re: [archer] [ UPCOMING PLUGIN ] Auto_Backup In reply to
Yeah. I'm sooo close to getting it finished. Its just stupid things like Net::FTP problems that are holding me up at the moment. The actual backup process is all working.. just the remote FTP'ing that won't work. Even the restoration stuff is done :)

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Beta-1 has now been released to a select few users. I'm awaiting feedback from them, in terms of bugs, and then once those are fixed up, version 1 will be ready for release :)

Version 1.5 will come out not that long after, with more features, but I just want to get a basic version of this plugin on the market, so that in the meantime,whilst adding the extra features, people don't loose more information through hackers/data loss.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [archer] [ UPCOMING PLUGIN ] Auto_Backup In reply to
Another question.

I am considering purchasing a server, specifically for backing up clients data to. Cost would be approximatly;

Weekly Backups

Includes weekly backups of:
  • Template
  • 'defs' files
  • ConfigData.pm
  • plugin.cfg (plugin configurations)

Prices would vary depending on the number of links you have. They are as follows;
  • $40/m for anything up to 200,000 links
  • $50/m for anything up to 750,000 links
  • $90/m for anything up to 2,000,000 links
  • $140/m for anything more than 2,000,000 links

Daily Backups

Includes daily backups of:
  • Template
  • 'defs' files
  • ConfigData.pm
  • plugin.cfg (plugin configurations)

Prices would vary depending on the number of links you have. They are as follows;
  • $80/m for anything up to 200,000 links
  • $140/m for anything up to 750,000 links
  • $180/m for anything up to 2,000,000 links
  • $280/m for anything more than 2,000,000 links

All of the above would come with a 3 months minimum subscription to the service, just so I can be sure the server costs are covered. Payment will be made monthly, on the day that the backup process was initiated (i.e if it started on the 10th, then the next bill would be on the 10th of the next month).

Would anyone be interested in such a service? I would need at least 4 clients to be able to earn enough to make it worth the while of me purchasing the server.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Last edited by:

Andy: Sep 5, 2003, 4:30 AM
Quote Reply
BTW, the above costs cover me restoring any of the above if they become corrupt, within 12 hours (business days), and upto 36 hours on weekends).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hm, sounds interesting.

Have you considered backup methods, though? As in, would these be incremental backups or just overwriting the data every day?

Say I don't notice that my site is corrupted for three days -- can I retrieve a backup of two weeks ago from your backup archive, if I'm on the daily plan?

Just some food for thought.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] [ UPCOMING PLUGIN ] Auto_Backup In reply to
I was thinking of doing recurrent backups. There would be 5 backups, so if you have daily backups, it would allow you to restore;

Yesterdays
2 days ago
3 days ago
4 days ago
5 days ago

... or if doing it weekly, then;

1 week ago
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
5 weeks ago

Hope that explains things a bit more Smile

BTW, I know the prices are 'pretty' high.. but bandwidth isn't cheap these days, come to think of it, nothing is cheap these days Frown

I may add another option, which will allow you to define how many days backup you want, i.e 10 backups, 20 backups, etc. Prices would obviously vary depending on this, mainly due to the amount of hard drive space it would take up to hold more backups.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Last edited by:

Andy: Sep 5, 2003, 5:12 AM
Quote Reply
I've attached a HTML document, with more detailed prices on it. The top price is $520 a month, but this includes daily backups of the core sections of your Links SQL installation.

The server I am going to backup onto, will have 2 hard drives, with weekly mirroring of the main one to another. This will act as a backup, in the case that my main backup drive were to fail.

I'm working on that I get 5 customers on the weekly plan. If I get more (which I am hoping I will), these prices should be possible to cut by 25%, which is a significant drop in price Smile (I don't envisage many people using the $520/month plan, as this is a lot of backups, and nomally a weekly backup would suffice).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Last edited by:

Andy: Sep 5, 2003, 6:02 AM
Quote Reply
Yeah, bandwidth is relatively expensive compared to cheap storage these days. An option of how far back you want your data stored is a good idea.

- wil
Quote Reply
Ok, looking good.. I have 2 people now.. need 3 more to make it worth getting the server.

Anyone? If so, please email me at webmaster@linkssql.net, or drop me a PM.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok, please find a revised price list for backup services attached. The larger packages are on average $30-$40 cheaper than orignally quoted, whilst the smaller ones vary from $5 to $20 cheaper that previously stated.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk

Last edited by:

Andy: Sep 7, 2003, 4:42 AM
> >