Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ NEW PLUGIN ] PrivateMessage v1

Quote Reply
[ NEW PLUGIN ] PrivateMessage v1
Hi,

After a good few days work, I'm proud to announce the release of our latest plugin, PrivateMessage.

This plugin lets your users interact with each other, by sending messages to each other (similar to how you can PM people on this forum).

I hasten to add, you REALLY don't need this plugin if you have Gossamer Forum - as private messages are a built in feature.

Anyway, for anyone who does want to use this plugin - here is a bit more information on it:

NB: This plugin is part of both the ULTRA Package, and ULTRA Package PRO.

Features

* You can view your list of PM's, in date order.
* Plugin options let you restrict the length of the message and subject.
* With a little template work, you can provide your users with an option of turning on/off the ability to receive PM's
* All works with the luna template set, but will work fine with other designs too (just needs a bit of template work)
* An email is sent out to the recipient, letting them know they have a new email.
* Error checking, to make sure they enter values (i.e don't have a blank subject), and also make sure the user they are trying to send to exists =)
* HTML template codes are provided to show a link in the header bar too, letting them know if/when they have a new private message.

Plugin Requirements

* Gossamer Links 3.0.4 (will work on older, but will need template work)

Upcoming Features

* Ability to view their "sent" messages, as well as recieved.
* A search function, to make finding old messages easier
* An "optional" CAPTCHA security image, to stop people spamming members.

Price: $150 [ details ]

You can find out more details, and also see screenshots of this plugin in action - here: http://www.ultranerds.com/...PrivateMessage_L210/

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: Nov 16, 2007, 8:45 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ NEW PLUGIN ] PrivateMessage v1 In reply to
Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the release of version 1.1 This includes:

1) The ability for users to turn off the option of receiving PM's
2) A "reply" feature (bit of a major feature missed out in the first version :P)
3) A "CAPTCHA" security image on sending / replying to PM's

This version is available from the Members Area now.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

Version 1.2 is now available for download. This now includes an "outbox" (or "sent" items), so people can read the PM's they have already sent.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
This is dreadful.

You are charging $150 for a product you have clearly rushed. How can a $150 private messaging plugin not even have a reply feature or a sent items folder?...they are the main features of such a plugin!

You've had to release two updates in 24 hours. It seems like you were too desperate to make some cash and didn't care about the quality of what you were releasing.

To say it took "a good few days of work" goes some way to explaining. Do you think a few days is sufficient?

Ps: I have the right to express my opinion so please don't delete my post like you have done once already.

Last edited by:

Wychwood: Nov 22, 2007, 2:29 AM
Quote Reply
Hi,

After some feedback from some users, saying they would be interested in this plugin if the price tag was reduced, I've lowered it to $80. As they said, you can't charge xx amount of dollars , based on the hours it took to make - but more, based on how useful it will be to someone Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote:
you can't charge xx amount of dollars , based on the hours it took to make - but more, based on how useful it will be to someone

I see, so if I sell central heating, which is vital in cold weather, does that mean I can charge a million dollars?
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] [ NEW PLUGIN ] PrivateMessage v1 In reply to
I see, so if I sell central heating, which is vital in cold weather, does that mean I can charge a million dollars?

Yes!
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] [ NEW PLUGIN ] PrivateMessage v1 In reply to
Wychwood wrote:
Quote:
you can't charge xx amount of dollars , based on the hours it took to make - but more, based on how useful it will be to someone

Did you actually understand what I said?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

When I login and click on Send PM, just a blank page appears.
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] [ NEW PLUGIN ] PrivateMessage v1 In reply to
Hi,

Mmm.. can you send me a link where I can see this happening? Can't see any reason why it would be doing that :/

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,

Just small a bug.

The link Setup (PrivateMessage) gives :

http://www.gossamerlinks.com/..._name=PrivateMessage

Thank,

O
Quote Reply
Re: [Oyo] [ NEW PLUGIN ] PrivateMessage v1 In reply to
Is it possible to make this so, users can private message to linkowner, for a particular link/ID?

Basically, we add a link in the link template and the user clicks on the link to send a private message to the link owner (the person who listed the link)? Login/registration required in order to send a private message.

Is this possible?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] [ NEW PLUGIN ] PrivateMessage v1 In reply to
Hi,

Sure - you can do it with:

<%config.db_cgi_url%>/private.cgi?action=send;SendTo=<%LinkOwner%>

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy, I'm using v1.2 and have a slight bug to report in the view sent message section. If I send a new private message, it doesn't show in my outbox. But if I reply to a private message, it does. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Kevin

My Green Promise: To learn (and practice) as much as I can about living a sustainable life and then spreading the word.
What's your Green Promise?
Quote Reply
Re: [kthull] [ NEW PLUGIN ] PrivateMessage v1 In reply to
Hi,

That's a bug =)

Please try version 1.3 (from the Members Area).

This also includes a "dynamic" CAPTCHA security image, instead of the old "static" PNG version =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Wonderful...thank you!
Kevin

My Green Promise: To learn (and practice) as much as I can about living a sustainable life and then spreading the word.
What's your Green Promise?