Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ NEW PLUGIN ] NewInCategory v1

Quote Reply
[ NEW PLUGIN ] NewInCategory v1
Hi,

I'm pleased to announce the release of our latest plugin, NewInCategory. The details are as follows:

NB: This plugin is part of both the "ULTRA" and "ULTRA PRO" Packages

Price: $40 [ details ]

Plugin Description

This plugin lets you show your "new" links in a different way to normal. For example:

Choose Date > Choose Category > View Links

..instead of just:

Choose Date > View Links

Span pages are also a feature.

Please note, if you want to use static looking pages - you must have mod_rewrite enabled. If you don't, then you will only be able to use the new.cgi format - and not static "looking" URL's. This pluign doesn't have a "build" feature, as all pages are served up via new.cgi (with, or without mod_rewrite)

Plugin Requirements

• 1. Gossamer Links 3.0.0+

Features

• Ability to split up your "new" listings by Data, and then category (i.e Choose Date > Choose Category > View Links)
  • Span pages, for days that have more than xx number of links
  • Plugin settings make it easier to customize.
  • Templates are pre-made to work straight out of the box with the `luna` template set.
  • Can be run with mod_rewrite (for static looking pages), or dynamically - via new.cgi

We have this plugin running on our site (with a few template changes, to keep with our site design). You can view this here:

http://www.ultranerds.com/New/

We also have some screenshots here (with the luna template set, i.e what comes as default with the plugin):

http://www.ultranerds.com/.../NewInCategory_L220/

As always, if you have any questions - please don't hesitate to ask (here, or via email/PM)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!

Last edited by:

Andy: Jan 18, 2008, 2:51 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ NEW PLUGIN ] NewInCategory v1 In reply to
Hi,

I've uploaded version 1.1. now. This is aimed more at looking like the "HotScripts.com" New section. You can see an example here:

http://www.ultranerds.com/New/

Basically, it shows:

Code:
Date
Category (1)
Category (1)
Category (1)

Date
Category (1)
Category (1)
Category (1)

Date
Category (1)
Category (1)
Category (1)

..etc

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've just uploaded a new version, which has a fix to the mod_rewrite codes provided in the documentation (no version change, as its only a documentation update)

If you already have version 1.1 installed, the update is simple.

In your .htaccess, find:

Code:
RewriteRule ^New/D(.*)/(.*)_C([0-9]+)/index\.html$ /cgi-bin/new.cgi?date=$1&catid=$3 [L]
RewriteRule ^New/D(.*)/(.*)_C([0-9]+)/more([0-9]+)\.html$ /cgi-bin/new.cgi?date=$1&catid=$3;nh=$4 [L]

..and replace with:

Code:
RewriteRule ^New/D([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)/(.*)_C([0-9]+)/index\.html$ /cgi-bin/new.cgi?date=$1-$2-$3&catid=$5 [L]
RewriteRule ^New/D([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)/(.*)_C([0-9]+)/more([0-9]+)\.html$ /cgi-bin/new.cgi?date=$1-$2-$3&catid=$5;nh=$6 [L]

The problem was occuring with the D(.*) bit getting confused with the first part of the category - and passing things like new.cgi?date=2008-10-12/Category - which obviously wasn't what was mean't to be passed along (it would work as is, but you would notice some oddities with the template tags showing part of the category name in it)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've just been made aware of a bug, where some of the category counts were being shown incorrectly. This was due to some bits not taking into consideration isValidated => Yes

I've just uploaded a fixed version ,1.2 - which has this issue resolved.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
And it's also missing: Links::init_user();

Wink

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Re: [deadroot] [ NEW PLUGIN ] NewInCategory v1 In reply to
Hi,

Thanks for the heads up - all fixed in v1.3 =)

I also found a little typo in the mod_rewrite codes (nothing major, just had an extra folder name in 2 of the lines, but not the other 2). Thats all sorted now too =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Have one question.

My detailed link urls in directory are like this "http://www.domain.com/directory/Detailed/Category/Some_link.php"

But, when I use this plugin, in new page detail link url are like this "http://www.domain.com/directory/Category/Some_link.php"

Missing "Detailed" in URL. Now, that is no problem for display but for google which thinks that there are duplicate URLs for the same page.

Regards.

UnReal Network
Quote Reply
Re: [DeadMan] [ NEW PLUGIN ] NewInCategory v1 In reply to
Hi,

In new.cgi, it looks like you need to change:

Code:
if ($CFG->{build_detailed}) { $hit->{detailed_url} = $CFG->{build_root_url} . "/" . $DB->table('Links')->detailed_url( $hit->{ID} ); }

..to:

Code:
if ($CFG->{build_detailed}) { $hit->{detailed_url} = $CFG->{build_detail_url} . "/" . $DB->table('Links')->detailed_url( $hit->{ID} ); }

That should do the trick Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Yep, that fix it.

Thanks!

Regards.

UnReal Network