Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ COMING SOON ] SuggestChanges

Quote Reply
[ COMING SOON ] SuggestChanges
Hi,

I'm currently working on a new plugin called SuggestChanges.

Basically, what it lets you do - if set an option in the plugin, with the "fields" a user can "update".

Then, when the user is logged in - they go through these steps:

1) Select the field they want to update (the nice version of the field name, not the DB value)
2) Enter their new value / update checkboxes / change select-box / textarea
3) Submit it, and then these changes are emailed to you.

I'm also considering having a web interface, which saves the suggested changes - and then gives you a nice admin interface, where you just click a few times - and the magic is done.

Please let me know what you think / any suggestions.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ COMING SOON ] SuggestChanges In reply to
Hi Andy,
I love new plugins, but what fields are you talking about and why should a user want to change them?
Is this plugin similiar to modify.cgi or what's the difference?

Thanks
Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] [ COMING SOON ] SuggestChanges In reply to
Hi,

Well, basically - a lot of sites have "additional" fields. Sometimes, these are incorrectly filled out - or the wrong information is provided. This plugin will let users provide you with more up-to-date information, without having to email you, or actually be the linkowner.

Take a look at the attachments (demo1 and demo2 are admin functions, not users - but the rest are what a logged in user can see)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ COMING SOON ] SuggestChanges In reply to
Quote:
Sometimes, these are incorrectly filled out - or the wrong information is provided

Seems unlikely.

modify.cgi will also deal with any extra fields the administrator adds. No offence but I can't relly imagine the usefulness of this plugin.
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] [ COMING SOON ] SuggestChanges In reply to
Hi,

Quote:
Seems unlikely.

Not really =) I know of many sites that need this kind of feature ;) I actually wrote it originally for someone who needed this exact feature.

Quote:
modify.cgi will also deal with any extra fields the administrator adds. No offence but I can't relly imagine the usefulness of this plugin.

True, but that requires you to be the link owner :P For those who are not the link owner - and know of a change (i.e a company name changing, or contact details changing, etc) - then this lets you "suggest" a change - without having to go through modify.cgi.

If I didn't think there was a need for this plugin, I wouldn't have spent hours writing it =)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Wychwood] [ COMING SOON ] SuggestChanges In reply to
Wychwood wrote:
Quote:
Sometimes, these are incorrectly filled out - or the wrong information is provided

Seems unlikely.

Hiya. We're running a review site for various products, and we find this to be a valuable plugin, as we find that most product fields can often be improved. With this plugin, we can easily get feedback and suggestions from our users. modify.cgi is also limited because only the "owner" of a product can change a product, although editors can use the admin interface to edit any product they have permissions to tamper with. This plugin puts more power in the hands of the site users, and can easily relieve a lot of work for the admins, while also improving the quality of the content.

Good stuff, I'd say! Thanks Andy!
Cheers,
Hans Jørgen
www.dicereviews.com
Quote Reply
Re: [perhaps] [ COMING SOON ] SuggestChanges In reply to
perhaps wrote:
... only the "owner" of a product can change a product...

Not true!

This depends on how you setup your installation, look in: Admin > Setup > User Options > user_required

If user_required is off then any user can modify resources.

I'm also running review site and my install allow all user to add and modify resources.

Cheers,
Boris

Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Auth for GLinks and GCommunity | reCAPTCHA for GLinks | Free GLinks Plugins
Quote Reply
Re: [eupos] [ COMING SOON ] SuggestChanges In reply to
I think Andy knows what he's doing.
Anyway every user can decide, if he is installing/buying the plugin or not.

Looking forward to many other new plugins Cool
Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [perhaps] [ COMING SOON ] SuggestChanges In reply to
Quote:
We're running a review site for various products, and we find this to be a valuable plugin, as we find that most product fields can often be improved.

I don't doubt someone will find it useful, just like some people have balloon fetishes Crazy

Quote:
modify.cgi is also limited because only the "owner" of a product can change a product,

See eupos' reply. This isn't true. Also if I had submitted my link to your site and found that other people were changing details I'd be annoyed :)

Last edited by:

Wychwood: Nov 21, 2007, 5:29 PM