Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
[Upcoming] Cron_Manager
I have been wanting to do something like this for quite some time, and now I've finally managed to find the time to start it Smile

Basically, this plugin will let you setup nph-build.cgi or nph-verify.cgi to run at any set time (predefined time, half-hourly, hourly, every 2 hours, every 6 hours, every 12 hours, daily, bi-weekly, weekly, bi-monthly, monthly etc).

Its a very simple interface, simply select what you want to do...allyou do is choose what you want to setup (i.e repair,build all, build changed, flags), and then just select the time you want it to be run at (tick box).

It will work not only on nph-build.cgi, but also nph-verify.cgi, as well as the option to setup your own cron jobs (i.e unrelated etc) via a more advanced control panel.

Obviously due to the nature of the plugin, I can't really give out a live demo as of yet, but when I have a little more to show, I will post a demo set of pages up Angelic

Any feedback is welcome :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [Upcoming] Cron_Manager In reply to
Why not just login to your shell account and do:

crontab -e Wink

I'm getting worried about you again. Myself and Yogi and others make a plugin every month or two. You seem to realease something every day Crazy

Last edited by:

Paul: Nov 15, 2002, 8:03 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [Upcoming] Cron_Manager In reply to
In Reply To:
Why not just login to your shell account and do:

crontab -e Wink

Cos not everyone knows how to format crontab times etc, and this just makes it a lot easier on them, as all they have to do is install the plugin (2 clicks), then choose what they want to do, and decide on the time etc they want it to run....all pretty simple, in less than 6 clicks Wink (and without any knowledge of Cron).

Wink

>>>I'm getting worried about you again. Myself and Yogi and others make a plugin every month or two. You seem to realease something every day <<<

I'm a busy person Tongue

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hello

Andy you're indeed a very busy man.
There are lot of users without knowledge about cronjobs etc.

This plugin is very useful to implement in the admin side.

Is it possible to work with the pagebuilder plugin of Yogi, because I'm sure the most users want to integrate your functions with the pagebuilder plugin too.
Quote Reply
Re: [ridesworld] [Upcoming] Cron_Manager In reply to
I agree. Working with page builder is a must.
Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] [Upcoming] Cron_Manager In reply to
Where can I actually find this plug-in? It sound quite nice especially when I have not shell access to the server... my hosts don't wanna give it out because they think I might mess too much with it.

----------------------------------------------

The third principle of sentient life is the capacity for self-sacrifice, the conscious ability to override evolution and self- preservation for a cause, a friend, a loved one.

Quote Reply
Re: [wsjb78] [Upcoming] Cron_Manager In reply to
Quote:
Where can I actually find this plug-in?

I think "Upcoming" in the subject line may be hinting that it isn't available yet :)
Quote Reply
well, somehow I just didn't see that upcoming in the title... I guess that explains why I couldn't find it on the HP!

The third principle of sentient life is the capacity for self-sacrifice, the conscious ability to override evolution and self- preservation for a cause, a friend, a loved one.

Quote Reply
Re: [nt6] [Upcoming] Cron_Manager In reply to
I'm not quite sure what you mean by integrating the PageBuilder plugin into it...could you please elaborate?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Where can I actually find this plug-in? It sound quite nice especially when I have not shell access to the server... my hosts don't wanna give it out because they think I might mess too much with it.

I'm not sure if the plugin will work if shell is not enabled on your account (due to it using backtick system calls). I could be wrong...it all depends on how strict your server admin is Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Well, I'll see if I can get the script to get working once it's finished...

Btw, is perl very different from PHP or LotusScript?

wsjb78

Quote Reply
Code:
I'm not sure if the plugin will work if shell is not enabled on your account

As long as you can access the program you are trying to run then it should make no difference whether you have an ssh account or not.
Quote Reply
Thanks Paul, I wasn't sure about that Crazy

Well, I have the build part of it complete now, and I've tried it on several servers/sites....it all seems to be working a charm. I'm going to start work on the Verify links part of it now, and then when someone tells me what they mean by the page builder integration, I'll look at that...

I'm also looking at integrating a function to set my Recip_Link plugin's cron script to be run at intervals set by the admin. It all just saves time on your (the users) end Wink

Cheers, and keep the ideas coming in :)

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
That sounds cool Andy, we're going to buy that recip plugin soon... :o)

Quote Reply
Ok, heres the update;

Build/Verify has all the function working now...

I've just started working on the 'Other Cron' section now, so that will allow you to setup seperate cron jobs, without the need for learning Cron or having to use another GUI Smile I found a little bug in the script, which has now been squashed. I've been having a few of my mates testing it out on their sites, and they all think its great....no more telnet sessions Wink

I'm also going to be testing the plugin on Yogi's static page build (I'm assuming this is ok Yogi?) thing (will only give the option if his plugin is installed), and the same sort of thing with my Recip_Link plugin being able to get setup with this plugin....

Anyway...I better get back to work, cos then it will be completed quicker ;)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok, thats all the main things done;

Build
Verify
Others

You should be able to guess what each of those menu options does Wink

The main newest one, 'Others', will let you add/modify/delete cron jobs from your user....

I'm going to start on the documentation tomorrow, and get a basic version out. Then I'll add the RecipLink/PageBuilder features to it during the day tomorrow Smile

I'm looking at $40 for the plugin...what do you guys think? Its pretty feature packed (over 3000+ lines of codes), so its well worth it IMO Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quality not quantity.
Quote Reply
Ok, all done. I've got a readme with it now, but the whole process of setting up crons is about as simple as it gets (except paying someone else to do it...lol). The plugin can be purchased from here;

http://www.linkssql.net/sell/send.php?id=12

Main features are;

Build > Repair
Build > All
Build > Changed
Build > Flags
Verify > From...
Verify > Problem Links
Verify > New
Verify > All
Others > Create new cron job
Others > Modify exising cron job
Others > Delete existing cron job

I'll add more details on the features tomorrow, and add a page about it on my LinksSQL.net site Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk