Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[Upcoming] Category_Adverts

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
[Upcoming] Category_Adverts
I've been working on this plugin pretty much all week. Basically, what it does is allow you to add an advert into your category templates. Currently only one advert at once per category is supported (although an unlimited number of adverts can be assigned to a category).

Main features:

+ Allows you to select multiple categories when adding an advert...
+ Has Add/Delete/Modiy/View all functions
+ Click Tracking for the adverts...
+ Template based advert. Simply edit the template, add the tag into your category.html, and goto that category to see your advert.
+ Static and Dynamic modes supported. Dynamic will change the advert each time, whilst static will only change the banner each rebuild.

Possible upcoming features:

+ Lets you show more than one advert on each page.

I'm thinking an approximate price of $50 for this plugin. Please let me know if you have any ideas...

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [Upcoming] Category_Adverts In reply to
Isn't this what the existing adcycle and advert pro plugins do - don't they include targetting too?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [Upcoming] Category_Adverts In reply to
The AdCycle plugin doesn't seem to work with Text ad targeting. This is a major flaw, which myself, and a few other people have noticed before. This will allow you to place category targeted text adverts anywhere on the category pages.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hmm. Ok.

AdSQL will support targetting very soon and I will be making Links SQL and GForum plugins and with the pay per click system it will let you accept payments.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [Upcoming] Category_Adverts In reply to
*spam*

heheh... j/k Wink

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Well it was on topic as you mentioned the keyword targetting :)
Quote Reply
Just as ad revenues are going down, and bottoming out, new ad programs are popping up. (oops, sorry!)

I think text ads are the best thing, but what about in-lining them, and providing keyword flagging? It's a harder concept to implement, but it's more important for long term survival.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [Upcoming] Category_Adverts In reply to
I'm working on a keyword flagging one next week. A bitr like Googles AdWords.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I'm certainly looking forward to seeing it :) - it will be good to have a google style option for serving text ads/sponsors.

Leslie
Quote Reply
Ok...the plugin has been release now. Please see http://www.linkssql.net/plugins.html ... scroll to the bottom of the main frame to find a link to the plugin. Price has been set at $50, and details on features etc are on the page above.

I'm working on a more detailed features page, and also some screenshots for the beginning of Monday.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
ok.. what's "text ad targeting"? And isn't this just an ad in html? We have used AdCycle and others, and seems fine to include html coding or other coding.

Guess Im missing somethingCrazy
Quote Reply
Re: [gatman] [Upcoming] Category_Adverts In reply to
Basically, a 'text' advert is as follows;

+ You enter a title, description and URL, and obviously categories you want it to be shown in.
+ You then customize the template file, to make it look however you want.
+ Then, in your category.html template, place the advert call tag wherever you want.
+ View that category via your browser, and then goto view the stats...the impression will have been recorded; and if you actually clicked the link, then that will have been recorded too.

Hopefully that answers your question Smile Its basically a more advanced version of the text targeting in AdCycle (IMO).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

I'm looking for a solution that handles text ads (similar to Google) in both the categories (although having the potential of having multiple ads per categoryat once) and keyword/keyword phrase targeting on the the search_results.html. Is your plugin heading in that direction?

Thanks a lot.

mgeyman
Quote Reply
Re: [mgeyman] [Upcoming] Category_Adverts In reply to
Yeah..I don't see any reason why it shouldn't. I'm also gonna be working on a Google style 'AdWords' plugin, which will allow users to add text adverts, and then bid on keywords Smile

I'll keep everyone informed via this thread...

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

Sounds good! I'm anxiously awaiting. You'll have me as customer if I can have a solution that suits both of those needs.

Thanks.

mgeyman
Quote Reply
Andy,

How do the advertisers see their click-through and impression rates? Do they access this info in a password-protected area?

I'm definitely interested in the plugin being able to allow more than one text ad to appear at a time on a particular category.html page. Maybe a maximum of 4 or 5 per page.

Also, the keyword targeting on the search_results.html page is a definite need for my site.

Thanks so much for your work!

mgeyman
Quote Reply
Currently, only the admin can view advert stats.

If a user were to be allowed to view their advert stats via an admin area, what kinda details/options would you want them to be able to see?

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

Probably the accumulated number of click-throughs and impressions during the course of time the ad campaign is running. To really get fancy, the advertiser could retrieve these numbers by week, month, etc. That would be a luxury feature though. I think just the total numbers of each would be neat

Just my 2 cents worth!

Thanks.

mgeyman
Quote Reply
Ok, I'll try and get that feature added....as well as the search function. Should have something by the beginning of next week. Its been pretty hecktic here this week, after my car problems, not being able to get to work, etc Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

Sounds great! Boy, I know how those things go!!

In the meantime, if I go ahead and purchase your existing plugin will those items be considered an upgrade?

Have a great weekend!

Thanks a lot.

mgeyman
Quote Reply
Yeah, I'm having a look at the extra features now...so if you wanna wait til tomorrow, then it will be easier to install in one go Smile

Upgrades come as standard with all my plugins (you can simply download from the plugins area).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

Sounds great!

Maybe to give you an insight as to what I'm trying to accomplish with my site with respect to text ads, I'll give it my best shot at an explanation. I'm trying to follow the Google model to a certain degree with my site - OhioBiz. Keep it a relatively simple and quick user-interface for site visitors. I definitely don't want to use graphics-based ads.

Regarding the text-based ads, I want to be able to offer ads for each category (potentially multiple for each category shown simultaneously) and text ads based upon keywords / keyword phrases that the advertiser would select (I may give the advertiser a choice of up to 6 different keywords/keyword phrases). So when a site visitor types in the appropriate term that is linked to an advertiser's ad that has that keyword then that advertiser's text ad will be appear on the search_results.html page. So what I'm trying to accomplish is selling an annual or semi-annual program to the potential advertiser of up to a combination of 4 categories in the directory and 6 keywords/keyword phrases they could choose. I suppose they could change these over a period of 6 months or a year. I would have to do it manually or if there was a process to automate it that would be great!

Anyhow, this gives you the "big picture" of what I'd like to accomplish!

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks.

mgeyman
Quote Reply
Ok, i've got the search keyword stuff done now.... I'm gonna start work on the user side GUI, and figure out what features to allow the users to have (reset stats etc)....I'm thinking about maybe making several more options in the setup, which will allow you, the site owner, to decide what functions are available to the user (edit, reset etc).

Well, I'll make a post tomorrow when I get it done Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy,

Sounds great! I'm really looking forward to it!

Much thanks!

mgeyman
Quote Reply
Andy,

Just checking in with you regarding the plugin...

Thanks.

mgeyman
> >