Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
[UPDATE] Thumb_Images v7
Hi,

I finished this off quite a while ago, but just havn't had time to put it live yet Whistle

Version 7 boasts the following features:

http://www.ultranerds.co.uk/...ns/Thumb_Images_L21/

1) Renames the images to a valid format, if they include non-standard characters in the file names
2) Support Links / Categories / Review images (as many fields as you want)
3) Easier way of setting up the image sizes. You can now set whatever sizes you want for ANY of the fields. For example, you could do:

Quote:
Image1::200x200::small
Image1::300x300::medium
Image1::400x400::large
Image2::400x400::medium

This would make the small/medium/large versions for "Image1".. but *only* the "medium" versions of Image2. This is helpful for those who have no use for some versions of other image fields (and it also helps save disk space)

4) Much better error checking * reporting
5) Nicer and more efficient code (totally rewritten, from the ground up)
6) Removed a few features such as "border" / "rotation" for thumbnailed images, as these are pointless in this day and age (you can do it via CSS styles much more efficiently now)
7) If "validation" is enabled for reviews/links, the images are now only ever thumbnailed after a successful validation (not when they got uploaded, which ended up causing lots of "dead" and un-used images)
8) Easy "Cleanup" tool to help resize images if you ever decide to change the dimensions

There are now only 3 setup fields you have to configure, which should help make things easier to under understand =)

For existing users: The method for getting the URLs for images has now changed to just one format:

Code:
<%Plugins::Thumb_Images::get_path($ID,"field_name","small","Table","url")%>

This is explained in quite a bit of detail in the Readme. This new format also enables you to grab the paths as well (in case you want to re-use the functions in your own code). Its advised to:

a) Backup your database and images (the physical files)
b) Run a "Cleanup"

This will then bring all your images into line with the new setup (it may rename some "problematic" images, which will save headaches further down the line)

I will also be doing an update to Thumb_Images_GD as soon as as time permits (the code is almost the same, apart from the re-sizing functions.. so I may even try and merge them into this plugin,... although I know there are sometimes issues if people don't have one of the modules)

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [UPDATE] Thumb_Images v7 In reply to
Andy wrote:

a) Backup your database and images (the physical files)
b) Run a "Cleanup"

This will then bring all your images into line with the new setup (it may rename some "problematic" images, which will save headaches further down the line)

Hi Andy,
do I have to "Cleanup" in the old version of the plugin.
Or do you mean to "Cleanup" after installing the new version?

Thanks

Matthias
gpaed.de

Last edited by:

Matthias70: Apr 11, 2013, 12:08 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] [UPDATE] Thumb_Images v7 In reply to
Hi,

It would be a cleanup with the new version. You don't have to do it - but I just recommend it, so that any potential problems are found before your backups are of no use :) (it also should help you highlight any images that were not correctly uploaded with the last version)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Hi Andy,
thanks for your answer.
I updated this plugin, today and it was no problem.
Thanks

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] [UPDATE] Thumb_Images v7 In reply to
Hi,

Great Angelic

I'm trying (over the coming weeks) to try and re-write quite a lot of my old plugins (the next one on my list is User_Edit_Profile)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've now released this same version, but in using GD (Thumb_Images_GD). It can be downloaded from the Members Area on my site Angelic

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk