Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[UPDATE] SearchFeed_Results v1.5

Quote Reply
[UPDATE] SearchFeed_Results v1.5
I have had quite a few request to update this plugin, so I finally took the plunge, and did it :)

An example of the new version can be found here: http://www.ukcrawler.co.uk/...earch.cgi?query=food

The second lot of results are from SearchFeed, but are interegrated into the LinksSQL search results template, so you can keep the feel of your site.

It still supports the ability to show SearchFeed results if *no* results are found... (as before) ... but this new option I added seems to be quite sought after.

The plugin can be downloaded via your Plugin manager, Plugins > Download.

Enjoy!

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [UPDATE] SearchFeed_Results v1.5 In reply to
Andy-

I am getting the following error when my search.cgi page is returning results. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Code:

Error: Unable to load module: Plugins::SearchFeed_Results. Reason:
Can't locate XML/Simple.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /web/admin /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 . /web/admin/comm/lib) at /web/admin/Plugins/SearchFeed_Results.pm line 23. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/sites/site39/web/admin/Plugins/SearchFeed_Results.pm line 23. ,
Can't locate Plugins.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /web/admin /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 . /web/admin/comm/lib) at GT::Template::_call_func line 732.
Quote Reply
Re: [texhost] [UPDATE] SearchFeed_Results v1.5 In reply to
Hi. You need to get your host to install XML::Simple for the plugin to work Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
I have this plugin working with search results, but I was under the impression (no longer sure from where) that it could aslo be used to include supplementary SearchFeed results in category listings, cool sites etc.

If that's the case, I can't see how.

I tried using the same technique as for the search results in category.html, and it is working (in that it tells me there are no results) but I can't work out how to pass it a useful keyword for the search. It doesn't like the category name being passed as <%category_name%> and it doesn't find anything as $category_name.

Am I doing something wrong - or wasting my time completely trying to do something it shouldn't

BTW It may be worth mentioning the XML::simple requirement upfront as this isn't a commonly pre-existing module and even the plugin readme doesn't work without it, creating a deal of confusion before one gets started Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [CrazyGuy] [UPDATE] SearchFeed_Results v1.5 In reply to
Hi. The readme should show you how to do this. Basically, in your category.html template, replace the;

<%if links%>
<%links%>
<%endif%>

with;

<%if links%>
<%links%>
<%elsif searchfeed_results%>
searchfeed results tag
<%else%>
sorry, we don't have any links in this category
<%endif%>

I'm afraid I'm not at home at the moment, so don't have a copy of this to hand... so this is all from memory. My appologies if its not that accurate... but I tried mybest Smile

Quote:
BTW It may be worth mentioning the XML::simple requirement upfront as this isn't a commonly pre-existing module and even the plugin readme doesn't work without it, creating a deal of confusion before one gets started

Yeah, I'll put something up on the site about this. Thanks.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
WinkWell, the readme starts by saying:

There is nothing really much to say here. All you need to do, is install this plugin, then edit the settings (via Plugins > Edit (next to the 'uninstall' option), and update it to your own Search Affiliate ID, so you get credit ;)

A new template has been added, called search_link.html, which is the HTML that is used to show results from SearchFeed.com.

That's about it.

It then goes on to talk specifically about integrating SearchFeed results with search, basically by adding

<%Plugins::SearchFeed_Results::check_results($query)%>

to the top of search_results.html

and

<%if searchfeed_results%>
<%Plugins::SearchFeed_Results::results($query,'10')%>
<%endif%>

where you want the results to appear.

That works - and I can see why, because $query is a parameter in the URL.

[goes away, tries stuff to document what's happening]

ok, I worked out what I need to do - but it's not really in the readme Tongue

in category.html, you need the line:

<%Plugins::SearchFeed_Results::results($category_name,'5')%>

where you want the results to be, and it seems you can do a precheck for SearchFeed results with

<%Plugins::SearchFeed_Results::check_results($category_name)%>

at the top of category.html if you want.

Maybe this is all obvious to everyone else, but it wasn't to me - especially using the $xxxxx instead of <%xxxxx%> version of a tag in this way. My first interpretation of the readme was that I should simply put <%search_link%> in templates to get Searchfeed results.

All is good now though, hopefully these notes will help someone in future Wink

Last edited by:

CrazyGuy: Jun 8, 2004, 6:39 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [CrazyGuy] [UPDATE] SearchFeed_Results v1.5 In reply to
I'll try and get the Readme updated at some point. A little bogged down at the moment, as I've just got back from my vacation :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Thanks, Crazyguy; I had problems with this plugin also.
I guess Andy thinks we're Psychic Wink.

Andy writes really good plugins, then avoids investing the time to put much of any instructions in, or clear examples.

After spending hours wasted trying to guess what he means or syntax on his products, I've concluded that it's worth paying twice as much for good instructions and 2 or 3 examples.

I really wish he'd put some instructions in and make examples a priority.
They will sell so many more.

Making a tool is good, but you usually need to teach people how to use it.

Last edited by:

webslicer: Jun 13, 2004, 2:44 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] [UPDATE] SearchFeed_Results v1.5 In reply to
Quote:
I guess Andy thinks we're Psychic .

Not quite ;)

Quote:
After spending hours wasted trying to guess what he means or syntax on his products, I've concluded that it's worth paying twice as much for good instructions and 2 or 3 examples.

All of my beta testers have said the new documentation I'm putting in is a LOT better, and very easy to follow. I don't see much point in putting loads of instructions in the free plugins, as it can sometimes take up half a day to write detailed instructions, which I just can't afford (the writing of the plugin takes almost no time at all, its always the documentation writing which is the biggest pain).

Quote:
I really wish he'd put some instructions in and make examples a priority.
They will sell so many more.

I'll try.. but I *really* don't have much free time at the moment (got a few projects I need to get finished off). Once i have done that, and I've finished the porting of the plugins into v2.2, then I'll have a go. I have to say, its not a high priority (as I hate writing documentation), but I'll try my best Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [texhost] [UPDATE] SearchFeed_Results v1.5 In reply to
 I am getting this same XML error on my install of GLinks 3.0.1
I have SearchFeed results running on another site (same server).

Working SearchFeed at:
http://www.rgbworld.com/cgi-bin/hotlinks_dev/morelinks.cgi?category=1

This is a different program running at this site, so is it possible that the "working"
SearchFeed is not using XML and GLinks is?

I have the XML::Simple; install request sent to my host, I am just trying to make sure
that XML::Simple is for certain what is wrong?

Thanks,
Chris

In Reply To:
Andy-

I am getting the following error when my search.cgi page is returning results. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Code:

Error: Unable to load module: Plugins::SearchFeed_Results. Reason:
Can't locate XML/Simple.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /web/admin /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 . /web/admin/comm/lib) at /web/admin/Plugins/SearchFeed_Results.pm line 23. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /home/sites/site39/web/admin/Plugins/SearchFeed_Results.pm line 23. ,
Can't locate Plugins.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /web/admin /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-linux /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 . /web/admin/comm/lib) at GT::Template::_call_func line 732.
RGB World, Inc. - Software &amp; Web Development.
rgbworld.com
Quote Reply
Re: [rgbworld] [UPDATE] SearchFeed_Results v1.5 In reply to
Hi,

It definatly looks like an XML::Simple module problem. Once thats installed, it should work fine :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Which SearchFeed setting goes in plugin settings for SearchFeed_Affiliate_ID?

From SearchFeed I have:
trackID=AAAAAAAAAAA
pID=BBBBBB

According to SearchFeed
Quote:
XML Feed Format
This feed format is used for the server side development. For example, in order to get XML feed you will need to call similar URL:
http://www.searchfeed.com/rd/feed/XMLFeed.jsp?trackID=AAAAAAAAAAA&pID=BBBBBB&cat=internet&nl=5&page=1&ip=1.1.1.1&excID=,

I have created 2 globals:
searchfeed_trackID=AAAAAAAAAAA
searchfeed_pID=BBBBBB

Above the SearchFeed results, I say:
Advertise your 'Category' related site: Click Here
"Click Here" links to:
http://www.searchfeed.com/rd/AdvertiserInfo.jsp?pID=<%searchfeed_pID%>&trackID=<%searchfeed_trackID%>

All the above works PERFECTLY.

What about the URL wrt trackID?
I ask because there is only 1 plugin setting of SearchFeed_Affiliate_ID.

Do I need to add trackID behind the URL in search_link.html like this?
<ul><li><a class="link" href="<%URL%>&trackID=<%searchfeed_trackID%>"><%Title%></a>

The URL that is created via plugin starts with:
http://www.searchfeed.com/rd/Clk.jsp?s=ls&k=recording+studios& ...

Then it has this mess. What is this?
&lnk2=rhhE%3F..vvv%27ADDlyBkxh%27pDB.D ... lyBkxh%29El%3DxepDxqsCg%26yhiqsD%7C2%2724

The URL ends with:
&p=BBBBBB&sid=BBBBBB&ex=1114506283161

Shouldn't &p=BBBBBB be &pID=BBBBBB ?
Missing &trackID=AAAAAAAAAAA ?
What is being excluded with &ex=1114506283161 ?

Thanks Andy,
Kudos for another great addition to GLinks!

Chris

rgbworld.com
Quote Reply
Hi,

I'm not sure what you're asking? There isn't any "track ID" setting, as its not actually required. Its based more for sites that have main "areas", and want to track how well they are performing in terms of clicks.

The URL just needs to look like;

http://www.searchfeed.com/rd/feed/XMLFeed.jsp?cat=$query&pID=$affil_id&nl=25

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote:
There isn't any "track ID" setting, as its not actually required.

This quote is from SearchFeed regarding pID AND trackID...
Quote:
This is a REQUIRED parameter for XML Feed and Text Feed. It is unique to your account and should always be included when querying our server for data.
I'll take your word for it if you are positive you're correct.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're asking?
and...
Quote:
The URL just needs to look like;
http://www.searchfeed.com/rd/feed/XMLFeed.jsp?cat=$query&pID=$affil_id&nl=25
That's what I thought the url should look like! Please mouse-over some search results at supportmusicians.com and tell me if the URL looks correct to you.

I am asking why does the url look like this...
The URL that is created via plugin starts with:
http://www.searchfeed.com/rd/Clk.jsp?s=ls&k=recording+studios& ...

Then it has this mess. What is this?
&lnk2=rhhE%3F..vvv%27ADDlyBkxh%27pDB.D ... lyBkxh%29El%3DxepDxqsCg%26yhiqsD%7C2%2724

The URL ends with:
&p=BBBBBB&sid=BBBBBB&ex=1114506283161

And of course these :-)
Shouldn't &p=BBBBBB be &pID=BBBBBB ?
Missing &trackID=AAAAAAAAAAA ?
What is being excluded with &ex=1114506283161 ?

Thank you,
Chris

rgbworld.com
Quote Reply
Hi,

I still don't get your problem =) It should all run fine as it is.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Hi,

I still don't get your problem =) It should all run fine as it is.

Cheers

Hi Andy!

According to SerchFeed - trackID, ip and pID are REQUIRED parameters for XML Feed and Text Feed.

XML Feed Format should look like:

.../XMLFeed.jsp?trackID=XXXXXXXXX&pID=XXX&cat=QUERY&nl=5&page=1&ip=1.1.1.1&excID=

Login into the SearchFeed affiliate area and check for yourself.

It would be nice to have excID, nl and page parameters setingsCool

Nice plugin Wink