Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[Plugin] International text converter - planned

Quote Reply
[Plugin] International text converter - planned
International text converter planned features:
  • It will be able to get input of Add, Modify forms, and a special admin form for (copy-paste) manual conversion. The input texts will be stored in database in converted format, for example 'ö' will be transformed into 'o' or 'oe'. It is useful to convert accented texts, without accents.
  • Affected fields would be possible to have selected
  • Convert on-the-fly, when displaying a template tag content on any category page, details page, or link. This is escpecially useful in ASCII emails, where you want to be readable in all email clients, so accented chars are converted to without accents. Also useful for taking out/replace any kind of strange character/word from your text.
  • ... any other feature ideas? ...

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
    Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
  • Quote Reply
    Re: [webmaster33] [Plugin] International text converter - planned In reply to
    Sounds good to me!

I'd want to be able to select the fields that were to be converted- for instance, I might want the category name field converted so it could be used instead of ID when building static pages. I would not want to convert the descriptions because I want them to read correctly.

This plugin should also be compatible with the multilanguage plugin.
    Quote Reply
    Re: [Alba] [Plugin] International text converter - planned In reply to
    Quote:
    I'd want to be able to select the fields that were to be converted
    Yes, of course: in the plugin config you could select which fields to convert automatically.

Quote:
    This plugin should also be compatible with the multilanguage plugin.
    There should be no problem with multilanguage plugin, but don't await from my plugin to have separate translation sets for each language... That would be a very unique and rarely demanded feature.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
    Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
    Quote Reply
    Let me explain the difference between the plugins:
    1. DirName converter plugin: Trades database space for CPU resource, so you don't use CPU, but use SQL database to store the 'Title' field converted into another field.
    2. International text converter plugin: Trade CPU resource, for database space, so you use more CPU, but less SQL database, and the conversion is done on-the-fly.
    The bottom line is:
    - DirName converter plugin uses less CPU, more space.
    - International text converter plugin will use more CPU, no space.

Development state:
    The DirName converter plugin v2.0 for LSQL v3.0 is under development.
    The International text converter plugin v1.0 for LSQL v3.0 is just planned, not started yet.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    Due to release of StaticURLtr plugin by GT, it doesn't seem to be worth to put any efforts into the planned International text converter plugin.

Also I'm hesitating, if there is worth to release DirName converter plugin upgrade.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: May 6, 2005, 4:56 AM