Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Thumbnail of screenshot of website

Quote Reply
Thumbnail of screenshot of website
Hi,
I have just been looking at the different plug-ins available and was wondering whether someone had this type of plug-in. I couldn't see anything that really fits !

I'm looking for a plug-in that would enable a user to create a screenshot of their home page, using explorer for example, and then upload it in order for it to be displayed as a thumbnail next to the description of the web site / link.
I would like it to always be a specific size and that the original file be discarded by the server (keen to reduce space used on my server).

Therefore it would solely be to reduce an image to a specific thumbnail size to illustrate the link in Links SQL while discarding the original screenshot image.

Does this fit anybody's plug-in capacities ?

Thanks for your help.

PS : Happy New Year to everybody Smile
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] Thumbnail of screenshot of website In reply to
You could modify my Thumb_Images plugin to do this. It would just be a case of removing the renaming parts, so it doesn't get renamed to something like small-something.gif. If you would like me to make these mods, I could do them for $10 (plus the cost of the plugin obviously).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Someone awhile back (close to a year, maybe) was working on a program to integrate one of the web-capture programs into a thumbnailer.

The idea was to render the web page, and convert it to a graphic, automatically, on an updated basis.

I think it was Yogi, who was working on this. He's got something like it integrated in his site.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Thumbnail of screenshot of website In reply to
Hi Andy,

I was just having a look at your thumbnail plug-in specs and was wondering what impact the Image::Magick requirements would have on me. Would it still work if I can't get Image::Magick to work on my server or is this a key component to the functions I'm looking for ?
It seems to be a tricky one getting Image::Magick to work or am I mistaken.

Thanks for your swifty feedback and pugdog's aswell. I'm just going to look at yogi's web site plug-in as I couldn't see reference to it in the past few months.

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Unfortunatly Image::Magick does pretty much everything. Its used to edit the image, and resize them.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
If you are running under Unix, you can use net::pbm

Andy and I have code for that, and net::pbm can thumbnail, resize, crop, edit, etc. It's really pretty good at thumbnailing.

While andy is swamped at the moment, we do plan to build dual routines into the scripts to use either net::pbm or Image::Magick, and the program will enable features based on which routines it finds available.

You can check out what net::pbm can do:

http://betterbeads.com/...QL/test_upload_2.cgi

That shows off the routines I have built already, and which are debugged enough for prime time.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Thumbnail of screenshot of website In reply to
Hi Pugdog,

Thanks for your response, this is actually exactly what I'm looking for and I have a script that already worked on a previous server with net::pbm so it should work on the new one I've nearly got up and running.
Would it be easy to integrate this into a link i.e. have the picture displayed to the right of the description, restrict the size and format of the final image and also discard the original file ?

If so we have a deal Wink

Let me know, I was quite excited trying it out Blush it's really cool, nice work anyway,

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Hi,

If you look at my other site http://betterbeads.com you'll see one of my "default" template styles with the image on the right. Also http://postcards.com

The original image can be tossed with a small amount of code. I'd suggest maybe doing it with an admin option, or cron job, just in case something goes wrong, rather than automatically. Think of a backup situation. You make a back up at 10pm. You get 12 submissions during the next day, but crash at 6pm. If you have the original images still in an upload directory, you can re-import them back into links. That's just one reason, but there are others, I'm sure.

I'm still working on integrating this with the logo-upload-priority mod, and at that time, it will probably do just what you want. I just have not hooked the image processing routines together with the upload/logo routines. But, it shouldn't be too hard to finish soon.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Thumbnail of screenshot of website In reply to
Hi Pugdog

I just had a look but I must say that there is nothing that hits home better than your demo. I also came across a post where you explain how you and Andy are to be working together, sounds great !
Have you got an idea about when your work will be ready 'cos I'm going to start work on my project in the next few days and although I can wait a bit I need to plan certain things ahead.
Anyway I'm well prepared to invest in an Andy/Pugdog venture, ready when you are Wink

PS : sound advice about not tossing the pictures immediately, thanks Smile

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Hi,
Did you decide on your needs?
If you are looking at our plugins, stock or modified, check out http://ultranerds.com/forum for information and contact.

Please leave a PM here.