Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[beta] TopLinks plugin - beta testers wanted

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
[beta] TopLinks plugin - beta testers wanted
Hi,

I'm working on a plugin named TopLinks, and I'm looking for 3 beta testers. Read details below.

Description:
Using the TopLinks plugin, you can use Links SQL to create a TOP 10, TOP 50, TOP 100, or similar toplist site, which is category based, and has all the fine features & flexibility of Links SQL.

It will be a commercial plugin. Price will be US$95.

Features (summary)
  • Advanced installer does all configuration jobs, you would need to do manually (you just need to complete the design in templates)
  • Incoming clicks: counts incoming clicks from each other site to your site (InHits)
  • Outgoing clicks: counts outgoing clicks from your site to each other site (OutHits)
  • Multi-Click Protection: counts only 'unique' hits, based on visitor IP (cookie based solution is not implemented yet, but planned). If a user already clicked within X second or minute interval, click is not counted again from same IP. This is called time limit.
  • Multi-Click Protection Time Limit: any time limit can be set in plugin options (!). Several systems has a fixed internal limit, usually 1 hour or 1 day. Using TopLinks plugin, you can set, not just 1 hour or 1 day, but even 2 day 3 hours 38 minutes 21 seconds, if you need that... Plugin config has flexible options to set the protection time limit.
  • Absolute TOP X list: you can list the TOP X links (X means any number), where links are sorted in order you set in the plugin config. By default are sorted by InHits then by OutHits.
  • Page Span for Absolute TOP X list: Feature to span (divide) 'Absolute TOP X list' page with a lot links, to more pages
  • Category TOP ordered lists: in each category, the links are sorted by inhits & outhits. Link order can be easily changed in options based on your needs.
  • Search result TOP ordered lists: on search result page, the links are sorted by inhits & outhits
  • Easy template inclusion of TOP X link name list: list of TOP link names, can be in included into any template used by Links SQL or its plugins.
  • Admin can manually reset InHits, OutHits or both for admin interface.
  • Fully template based
  • Several plugin options to make its usage easy & flexible
  • Currently working in dynamic mode (static mode may be implemented later)

Please message me, if you would be interested to get it & test it as beta tester, before the final release comes. Beta testers will get 20% discount from the TopLinks plugin price.
    Only 3 beta testers will selected from candidates.

Please contact me to apply for beta testing, and write me the following details about your server environment:
    1. Server OS name & version (Linux, Solaris, Windows, etc.)?
    2. Database name & version?
    3. Please mention if you are on CGI wrapper environment.
    4. Links SQL version
    5. is mod_perl used?
    6. used/installed plugins (not necessarily, but often helps in compatibility problems)
    7. How would you describe your experience with Links SQL?: beginner, good or advanced

Your answers to these questions are important, so please write the truth. The more strange environment is better, but normal users are also welcomed.
    3 beta testers will be selected from candidates, based on testing needs.

You can contact me through email (available from my user info), or by private message. I prefer email if possible.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
    Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
  • Last edited by:

webmaster33: May 2, 2003, 9:53 AM
    Quote Reply
    Re: [webmaster33] [beta] TopLinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    How about top links the past 24 hours, past week, past month and all time top?

Cheers
    Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
    Quote Reply
    Re: [klauslovgreen] [beta] TopLinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    I could better imagine such limits, like past 7 days (A), past 30 days (B).
    That feature would require:
    - 4 new columns in Links table,
    - storage of last reset time (A), and last reset time (B) in a file,
    - should regularly check date A & B, and reset data of 4 columns, depending on time A and time B.

The question is, if it does worth to implement that feature or not? It does need a bit more resources.
    Does this time limit really needed?
    Usually for a Topsite there are no time limits (except those statistic sites, which logs traffic & other infos)...

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
    Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
    Quote Reply
    Just a suggestion - it would probably make it worth it for some (myself included)

Klaus

Quote Reply
    Re: [klauslovgreen] [beta] TopLinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    Thank you for the suggestion!
    If other users would also require this feature, I will consider implementing it.

Let me know, if somebody also wants new feature to have toplist in past 7 days (A), and toplist in past 30 days (B).

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    Well, as you wrote me in PM, you want more like a statistic system, than a toplist system.

A statistic system would require different logging, compared to what I currently have in TopLinks.
    Likely would be better to create another plugin for statistical tasks.

When I will finish my plugins under work, I will consider to develop that plugin. I will name it as StatLinks plugin.

Feature ideas of StatLinks plugin:
    - database would be better designed for more logged data
    - would have more features, like info about visitors, graphs, etc. I like HitBox.com very much, so the goal would be, to have similar features.
    - feature, to limit listing by time (1 days, 7 days, 30 days)
    - would use image to track visitors of remote sites (links)

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    Remote Count Plugin Vs. Top List and Stats Pluginsinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    Hiya;

Sounds excellent.Cool.

I DO want to point out that what you are working on sounds similar to an advanced version of the Remote Count plugin by Ian at http://www.iuni.com, so you may want to make sure you are not rewriting the same functionality. I think enhanced statistics, ond historical storage of statistics, like Hitbox.xom, and display of site banners would be an excellent way of adding making your plugin different from Ian's, which I feel is excellent:

Here's more info... (I quote)

Remote Count http://www.iuni.com
    Plug-In Version: 2.1.1c

Remote count is a clever little script which allows you to place a page counter, or a graphic of your choice onto a remote site, and maintain the count in your links database. It also directs anyone who clicks on the graphic or custom "Powered By....." text to either the detailed page of the link, or your home page - YOU DECIDE. No matter what, you bring more traffic to your site.

Remoptecount has basic toplist features also.

Top X Count

# This subroutine returns the toplist
    # Called with <%Plugins::RemoteCount::TopXCount('TopX_Start','TopX_ListSize','Max Title Length', 'Sort Order')%>
    # Order:
    # iox - IN OUT EXP
    # ixo - IN EXP OUT
    # xoi - EXP OUT IN
    # xio - EXP IN OUT
    # oix - OUT IN EXP
    # oxi - OUT EXP IN

Example: <%Plugins::RemoteCount::TopXCount('50','20','75', 'xio')%>

Returns the top 20 (from rank 50 to rank 70), with titles capped at 75 chars, and order by Exposures, In's then Out's

Note: "Birds of a feather floc ..." This would be a setting of 23 for example... giving a total string length of 27 (4 for the space and three dots).

Lastly, you can adjust the rc_rank.html template so that the tag output displays exactly the way you want it.

---------------------------

On the Stats plugin, if you get to even half the level of functionality that Hitbox provides, you can count me in as a buyer.
    Quote Reply
    Re: [webslicer] Remote Count Plugin Vs. Top List and Stats Pluginsinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    Quote:
    I DO want to point out that what you are working on sounds similar to an advanced version of the Remote Count plugin by Ian
    Thanks for pointing out that Remote Count has similar functionality.

The TopLinks plugin was originally a custom job, which must done anyways, so it's not a question, if I had to avoid similar features or not. It is quite at the finishing state. Mainly the documentation, license aggreement text, code clearing tasks remains, maybe some bug fixes, too.

Quote:
    I think enhanced statistics, ond historical storage of statistics, like Hitbox.xom, and display of site banners would be an excellent way of adding making your plugin different from Ian's, which I feel is excellent
    No, I don't plan at the moment to implement such features HitBox has, into TopLinks. Some limited statistics may be still valid.
    TopLinks is a toplist script, thus features like HitBox has, is beyond of its goal. Such special statistic features should be implemented into StatLinks plugin.

About the mentioned StatLinks plugin: currently it is still just an idea, and I don't know when can I really start work on it. A StatLinks similar to HitBox would be a big job, so I will only start that project if I finished all my current developments.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    Re: [webmaster33] Remote Count Plugin Vs. Top List and Stats Pluginsinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    RemoteCount
    Author: iUNI Technologies Corp.
    Last Updated: 2003-02-20
    Description:

Place a counter or a graphic on remote sites and monitor the exposures, in's and out's for any link in your directory. Create Top lists and more.
    Price: $30 USD

$95 is quite high for no enhanced functionality over the UNI script, which costs $30. In fact as the UNI script can count hits at a REMOTE site, does it not do more than your script?

I do not expect you will get many (1 or 2) buyers at $95. I could buy a free TOPLIST script and throw it on a page, so can you explain where your program would be used? Clearly, I am missing something.

Now, the STATS (hitbox) project you mentioned, while it may take quite a bit of development, would be fantastic,
    would sell well, and make you $$$, and I would want it for certain.
    Quote Reply
    Re: [webslicer] Remote Count Plugin Vs. Top List and Stats Pluginsinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    The hitbox project he mentioned could take years and years, lucky if he can actually do it in 2-3 years!
    Quote Reply
    Re: [xpert] Remote Count Plugin Vs. Top List and Stats Pluginsinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    For full functionalty, yes.

But if he could identify what stats are missing from other plugins or greatly expand the coverage, I do not see that it will take more than a month. After all, he has a solid start on it if his TOPLIST program works correctly. Of course he would need some C added in for higher traffic sites.
    Quote Reply
    I did do some work on a stats plugin a couple of months ago but never got round to finishing it. I couldn't decide whether to add it into my ExtraStats plugin or release it as a separate plugin.

It does add a row to a table for every pageview so I'm not sure about using it for high traffic sites. If people let me know what information/graphs they would like it to produce I may get round to finishing it!

Laura.
    The UK High Street
    Quote Reply
    Re: [afinlr] Remote Count Plugin Vs. Top List and Stats Pluginsinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    Hey, afinlr!

I own your extrastats plugin, and think that it is fantastic.

Whether you add it on or release it on its own, I would be very interested, as the basic stats put out by your extrastats plugin are invaluable!!
    Please consider releasing it!

The output from your plugin that I use daily is the nice bar graph of the whole month showing daily clicks out for ALL the links totaled.
    Quote Reply
    Re: [webslicer] Remote Count Plugin Vs. TopLinks plugin and StatLinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    Quote:
    the STATS (hitbox) project you mentioned, while it may take quite a bit of development, would be fantastic
    Sorry to disappoint you, but as I mentioned earlier, StatLinks plugin is in idea phase. Not likely that I will even start developing it in the near future. First, I'll finish my current developments, then I *may* think about starting the development, if there would be real demand for it, or if I would personally need it.
    And likely would be very expensive.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: May 4, 2003, 1:11 PM
    Quote Reply
    Re: [afinlr] Remote Count Plugin Vs. Top List and Stats Pluginsinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    Hi can I see what your plugin can output - I did not find any examples...

Can I get unique visitors etc? and does it still add a table per pageview? I have some 15 million pages per month and 200,000 links so that would not be practical I guess

Klaus

Quote Reply
    Re: [klauslovgreen] Remote Count Plugin Vs. Top List and Stats Pluginsinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    Hi Klaus,

This is a description of what the ExtraStats plugin can do:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=222427#222427

It collects extra hit data for the links in your database - it is not a Stats program for your site which is what I am thinking about releasing. I'll have a look at what I have so far and start a new thread.

Laura.
    The UK High Street
    Quote Reply
    New thread for ExtraStats is a good idea Wink

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    Re: [webmaster33] Remote Count Plugin Vs. Top List and Stats Pluginsinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    Yes - sorry about hijacking your thread Tongue

I've started a new one:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=242022#242022
    Quote Reply
    Re: [webslicer] Remote Count plugin vs. TopLinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    Quote:
    $95 is quite high for no enhanced functionality over the UNI script, which costs $30.
    Probably you should wait the first the release of TopLinks plugin, and compare the result on live sites, before saying "no enhanced functionality over the UNI script"... I will post links of working TopLink sites, when will be available or will have owners permission. Also I have NO doubt in ease of use of TopLinks plugin. It has a lot options, and advanced installer, which really helps beginner users.

About the price. There are different marketing strategies:
  • sell a lot cheap products, and spread around the world.
    or
  • sell expensive products, and sell less of them, but you can give quality support to those few users.
    I chose that second strategy. My other plugins will be also expensive when I'll release them.
    Those who will need my products, will anyway buy for that price, too.

I don't want to discuss about the price furthermore.
    If the price is too expensive for you or anybody else, no problem, just ignore my plugin.

Quote:
    In fact as the UNI script can count hits at a REMOTE site, does it not do more than your script?
    You may note some things:
  • it will be only v1.0 release, while Remote Count plugin is already v2.1.1c. Note the version difference.
  • I don't know exactly, what the Remote Count plugin can exactly do. I can just imagine based on the description I saw in Ian's thread, and a working site. Can Remote Count plugin do toplist in each category? I saw just an absolute toplist on the working site. Didn't see category toplists.
  • though TopLinks doesn't count exposures currently, it can be easily added, if users will need it. Also other features as well, if there will be really demand for a particular feature.
  • I will make available some screenshots about TopLinks plugin & working live sites, after first version was released, so everybody can see features with their eyes.

Otherwise TopLinks plugin doesn't want to compete with Remote Count plugin. I'm sure both plugins has/will_have satisfied users.
    Customer satisfaction is the most important thing. Everything else simply doesn't matter.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
  • Quote Reply
    Re: [webmaster33] Remote Count plugin vs. TopLinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    Shouldn't this be argued in the Plugins category for Links SQL? Sorry, but I couldn't resist because I notice from using this invaluable forum that webmaster33 is very quick to tell people the categories where they should be posting, but his strict interpretations don't seem to apply to himself and his own commercial interests.

--Frank
    Quote Reply
    Re: [FrankM] Remote Count plugin vs. TopLinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    What you say it's not valid. The Discussions forum is for any kind of Links SQL related discussions, plugins are not excluded.
    I assume the 'Development, Plugins and Globals' forum is for the advanced Links SQL users & plugin developers to talk about problems & solutions.

Also there were several plugin related threads started in Discussion forum, including:
    - Shopping Cart Plugin Beta -Feedback
    - Yahoo Subcategory Plugin
    - Updated Search Timer Plugin
    and several others...

And you may read the forum guidelines what Alex wrote:
    Quote:
    We do allow announcements or discussions about plugins developed for any of our products (free or commercial).
    http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=216271

If you dislike discussion about TopLinks plugin, you may ignore that thread.
    BTW: this thread didn't start as discussion, it was an announcement. If you read original topic, I'm looking for beta testers. It's another thing that users posted their opinion here.

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    Quote Reply
    Re: [webmaster33] Remote Count plugin vs. TopLinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    I think Frank is correct in that the plugins forum may be more appropriate. Your thread is specifically relating to a plugin. I've moved it into the plugins forum.
    Quote Reply
    Re: [Paul] Remote Count plugin vs. TopLinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    Then you should move all threads which is related to a plugin, to 'Development, Plugins and Globals' forum.
    There are still many ones in the Discussion forum. Be consistent!
    Especially with your plugin announcement threads started in Discussions:
    - MyLinks SQL Available
    - Search Timer
    - Updated Search Timer Plugin
    etc...

All started by Paul, in Discussions forum, but there are still many other plugin related threads, you should move to Plugins forum...

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support

Last edited by:

webmaster33: May 4, 2003, 5:10 PM
    Quote Reply
    Quote:
    Then you should move all threads which is related to a plugin, to 'Development, Plugins and Globals' thread.

They are as much as is possible. Moderators won't move threads by staff members, such as Aki's Shopping Cart thread.

Quote:
    Especially with your one plugin announcement threads started in Discussions:

The threads you mentioned were made several years ago. Certainly this forum would be more appropriate should I have to post such threads again.

THat's as far as I wish to discuss the issue. If you have any concerns please private message me or Alex.
    Quote Reply
    Re: [Paul] Remote Count plugin vs. TopLinks plugin - beta testers wanted In reply to
    Again: Be consistent! No matter when you posted your threads. If you make rules, keep them!

Best regards,
    Webmaster33

Paid Support
    > >