Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ NEW PLUGIN ] Professional Poll (ProPoll)

Quote Reply
[ NEW PLUGIN ] Professional Poll (ProPoll)
NEW PLUGIN: Professional Poll (ProPoll)

Hi All

I have almost completed a new plugin called Professional Poll (ProPoll) which is a poll script that allows you to run polls on your site. This will be released as a paid plugin.

Below is a list of features the script currently has, and a few that will be included shortly.

What I'd like to hear from everyone is...

1. Would you be interested in this script?
2. What other features would you like to see added?
3. How much would you be prepared to pay for the plugin (pm me if you prefer)

Features:

- Run Multiple Polls
- Specific Start Date, Day/Month/Year/Hour/Minute (in 5 minute intervals)
- Specific End Date, Day/Month/Year/Hour/Minute (in 5 minute intervals)
- Polls can be put on hold (not displayed)
- Automatic hold built in for incomplete polls
- Poll can be called via SSI
- Poll can be called using a template tag (via a custom global)
- Poll results can be shown/hidden from user permanently
- Poll results can be shown after X votes have been cast
- A single poll can have multiple questions
- Poll questions can have multiple answsers
- Answers for questions can either be Radio/Checkbox/Select
- You can alter the display order of Poll "Questions" (on the fly)
- You can alter the display order of Question "Answers" (on the fly)
- Users can view full list of running polls
- Users can view full list of archived polls
- Users can only vote once per poll (see next point)
- User votes tracked using both cookies and ip tracking
- Polls can be archived
- Polls can be deleted

I think that's all... will add to the list if I've missed anything.

Regan

Last edited by:

ryel01: Sep 15, 2004, 8:14 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] [ NEW PLUGIN ] Professional Poll (ProPoll) In reply to
Quote:
1. Would you be interested in this script?
Maybe. Depends on features, price, and situation of my wallet Wink

Quote:
2. What other features would you like to see added?
There is a feature what I'm looking since a long time: Grouping feature.
Grouping feature means: We select a few polls and put together into a group. The polls in a group appears one after another for the visitor (using SSI or Global), until all polls were answered. User is identified by a session id (stored in cookie) or if cookie isn't accepted, session id is assigned to IP address. We store in session data, the information which poll was already filled from the group.
This is a long-awaited feature by me.

Also there should be several statistics & poll result analysis.

Quote:
3. How much would you be prepared to pay for the plugin (pm me if you prefer)
Valid price interval may be from $50 to $300, depending on features, and targeted amount of selling.
If you sell it for $10, may be possible, that you sell even 300 items, and if you sell it for $300, it may be possible, that you sell only 10 or less items. The profit is comparable in both case. Pricing anyway depends on your targeted users.

And a final thought: I would be curious if it really deserves the 'Professional' name.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] [ NEW PLUGIN ] Professional Poll (ProPoll) In reply to
Thanks Webmaster33

Quote:

The grouping feature is definately a possibility - it's something I thought about but wasn't sure necessary. It would end up being like the grouping feature used in some banner management scripts I guess.

Quote:
Also there should be several statistics & poll result analysis.

I'm just wondering what sort of statistics and poll result analysis you can have other than a count of votes and %? Can you elaborate a little bit on this one?

Quote:
And a final thought: I would be curious if it really deserves the 'Professional' name.

A very constructive and useful thought. I'll seriously consider renaming it.

Thanks
Regan.
Quote Reply
Quote:
Grouping feature means: We select a few polls and put together into a group. The polls in a group appears one after another for the visitor (using SSI or Global), until all polls were answered. User is identified by a session id (stored in cookie) or if cookie isn't accepted, session id is assigned to IP address. We store in session data, the information which poll was already filled from the group.

Hi again webmaster33

Just on the point above where you say "one after the other", do you mean...

1. Every poll in the group is displayed "at once" on the page

or

2. Each poll in the group is displayed "individually" until it is voted on. After the user has voted then the next poll in the group is displayed.

Thanks

Regan.

Last edited by:

ryel01: Sep 16, 2004, 2:41 PM
Quote Reply
2. Each poll in the group is displayed (optionally in order or randomly) until it is voted on (using SSI or Global). After the user has voted then the next poll in the group is displayed.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [ NEW PLUGIN ] Professional Poll (ProPoll) In reply to
Any price established for this plugin?

Thanks Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] Professional Poll (ProPoll) In reply to
In Reply To:
Any price established for this plugin?

Hi DogTags

No, no price decided on yet. If you're potentially interested in the plugin throw any ideas for additional features you'd like see added in here. Will post a price when I've finalised it.

Cheers

Regan
Quote Reply
good idea! that'a feature that will add some spice to my bike shop site I am running with LinsSQL.

I would be interested but I wouldn't pay top$$ for it. I can always add an aftermarket (no offense) but I don't see why users would have to login in order to vote.

It would be nice and clean though so I would be willing to spend money

I hope it is released soon and will pray for an affordable price tag. Keep it simple and bug free and you'll have a winner.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: [daser007] [ NEW PLUGIN ] Professional Poll (ProPoll) In reply to
Well, if a user doesn't log in to vote, they could keep voting for their link.

This is why the various "free" or "open" polls don't work. One college kid with a bunch of friends could pop his program, or link, or whatever to the top of the list really quickly, regardless of value.

With one-vote per ID, you limit that sort of abuse.

This is why my ratings/review system requires log on, and I pretty much dropped support for non-logged in voting. Such anonymous features are another casualty of human natuere and the Internet.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] [ NEW PLUGIN ] Professional Poll (ProPoll) In reply to
I'm on the opinion, that let the admin decide what kind of protection to use on his own system...
We, developers, just let him/her choose which solution wants to use...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
That may be your opinion, but coding in unsafe or dastardly options creates support problems.

It's _MUCH_ easier to support and debug, maintain and upgrade logged-in functions. You have more control over the input, and you have access to all the USER-> values to track results.

IMHO there is really no reason NOT to have a user log in. No major site allows much functionality without getting some sort of log on, mostly for those reasons.

I've always thought it was a bad idea to not force a user to log on to "do" anything. To simply read, or search, is ok. But any time you get input from the user, they should be logged in. The reasons are increasing daily.

There are also some functions that simply make no sense without a logged in user, and cookies are wholely un reliable for anything other than place marking or logons (easily retrievable data). Storing anything, like the MyFav list, is more and more risky, and anti virus and spyware programs clean cookies out.

As the song says, "you do your thing, I'll do mine."

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
As for support, use FAQ page, and warn plugin user, that it's bad if doesn't use login feature for voting, and cookie & IP identification is unsafe.

As for forcing visitor to log in to vote, I hate that. I don't even register to be able to vote.
HotScripts.com? If I'm required to register & log in to vote, I don't vote. Most people think like this... And developer viewpoints doesn't matter from this point...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
I'm not sure if there's some confusion with the last few posts... this poll script is NOT for voting on individual "links" in your directory.

This is a survey polling script. You can enter in any topic you want, and provide any answers to vote on.

It is in no way realated to the rating of links in your directory.

Cheers

Regan.
Quote Reply
All this sounds good..

What do we expect a Beta and how much will the final version cost?
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Hi,

I gathered that, I just broadened the response.

The login vs non-login issue has plagued site developers for ever, and I've really come to terms with the fact that any "features" are going to be for logged in users, since I don't want fake data, spam, or other problems creeping in.

Not everyone feels the same way, and I can see limited use for non-logged in features in *some* situations where you are simply trying to grab traffic. But for providing services, the general hacker/problem community, as well as the legal climate, forces you to know more about who and what you are providing -- or taking -- infromation from.

Polls are good, but it should ALWAYS be ONE person, ONE VOTE.

Except in rare cases, and even those rare cases can usually be topologically rationalized to a ONE person, ONE vote topology -- or should be. There is really no reason to count 87 votes from one person... what does that show?? They have more time than things to do?

For those wondering, the topological reduction is when you get a code, or a key for some purchase, or bonus, and are able to use that to cast a vote for something. In which case, you are still getting one-vote per person/code, but even those situations are really rare, in the larger scheme of data collection.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Would be a good idea, to validate each vote from an email address.
Voter gives email address, and gets an email where can click a validate link.
Not a registration, and still faster than to force user to register.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support