Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[ Update ] Category_Adverts v2

Quote Reply
[ Update ] Category_Adverts v2
I've now finally managed to get this plugin updated to have some more features. The main features available are currently below;

+ User login area to view basic stats on the advert.
+ ad_click.cgi tracks the clicks on the advert...
+ template based, so you can make it look how YOU want Smile
+ edit/add/delete menu options in admin panel....allowing you to do pretty much anything you want to the adverts.
+ Allows unlimited number of categories to be assigned to adverts...
+ Search keywords can now be targeted for the adverts listed. Simply add another tag into your search_results.html template

I think thats pretty much it. In the next upgrades, I'm gonna add another admin option, so you can see the hits/exposures of adverts on one page, instead of having to manually view each advert; the option for users to reset/edit their stats/advert from ad_stats.cgi (defined by admin in settings).

Well, if you want to find out more on this plugin, please visit http://www.linkssql.net/plugins.html... and in the left frame, scroll down to the bottom of the frame. You should then see a link to the Category_Adverts plugin. Details, and a purchase link can be found here...

Cheers Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ Update ] Category_Adverts v2 In reply to
Do you have the URL's of the sites using the plugin so we can see?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [ Update ] Category_Adverts v2 In reply to
I'm setting up a demo in a bit...just gotta get some time (still trying to find time to do other stuff, like transfer my old car stuff, before I take it to the scrap yard).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
On your site it says you have sites already using the plugin?
Quote Reply
Yeah... http://www.ace-host.com uses it on the bottom of their category pages. That is only version 1...I havn't updated the page on my site where it says the details about the plugin (as you could probably see...as a lot of the feature list stuff isn't on there yet). I'm getting there Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Ok so this is a little white lie Wink

Quote:
We can't obviously give you access to sites that are using it currently either, as they are all live sites ;)
Quote Reply
Well, kinda. Obviously I can't give out admin access details to site that are using the plugin (to see the admin part of the plugin)...but theoretically, the actual adverts could be viewed at the site I listed. I may actually update that part, so its a bit more clean cut :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Just started to use Andy's Category_Adverts plugin.

The Admin interface is very straightforward and easy to use - Add, Modify, Delete and View all Adverts functions. What's also great about this plugin is that it allows the advertiser to go to a login screen, using its Advert ID and a password to access the particular advert's click-throughs and impressions.

Category_Adverts works well in all categories of my Links SQL directory as well as keyword / keyword phrase targeting on the search_results.html page.

I am really looking forward to his next upgrade for allowing multiple adverts to be displayed on the category directory and search results pages simultaneously (similar to Google and others) as the need will be there to show multiple advertisers in the same category/keyword results at the same time.

Overall, Andy, great job so far and keep up the great work!! This plugin definitely fills a site need of mine - one that I've had for quite some time!

Thank you!!

mgeyman

OhioBiz
Quote Reply
Bug fix...

+ Problem where a user logged in with one username, and then tried to log in with another on at the same time. Now fixed by adding a 'logout' function, and a cookie check at the login screen, which gives an error if the cookie exists.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Extra features now added;

+ Better Readme.
+ Ability to pass along 2 colors into the cat_advert.html template....so you can make the adverts appear different colors when showing multiple ones on one page...
+ Ability to show upto 5 adverts on one page, without fear of repeating.

The price is still the same...and details can still ber found at the address(es) listed at the top of this thread...

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
A demo has now been setup. URL's etc can be found at:

http://new.linkssql.net/...ategory_Adverts#demo

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ Update ] Category_Adverts v2.3 In reply to
v2.3 has now been released. It has a couple of bug fixes. The main one being that on some servers, you got errors when trying to display the adverts in static mode.

Should all be fixed up now :)

Anyone who already owns this Plugin, can download the update from http://new.linkssql.net/page.php?page=account

If you are interested in this Plugin, and want to find out more details, please visit: http://new.linkssql.net/...age=Category_Adverts

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Andy;

I went in to test Category Adverts, as I have interest in it.

I would like to be able to set the order that the ads come up.. set #1, #2, etc on the categories. Is there a way? I like the fact that you have them coming up random, but on some categories, would like to have them ordered, or weighted, as the top ads will get more clicks.

Also, can you make some more categories, including one with a long name? I notice that the display of the category list is not very wide. Is that fixed or does it size to the width of the widest category?

If the Links db has a couple of hundred categories, what does the category selection box look like? Is it still as usable?

Stats: you give overall click and impression. Could you add CTR and monthly CTR and reset buttons for stats? A sortable display or bar chart that showed the most popular by CTR ads would be VERY useful.

Please consider adding in more categories and data into your test site. As it is, it is NOT representative of most people's sites that have thousands of links.
We can't judge performance or display the way it is..

Many LINKS SQL owners make our $$ through clicks. Tracking ads is important, so your plugin could make an EXCELLENT addition to Links users that make $$ through click thru's if it had some a few important updates aimed at us so we know what performs or not. Many of us have over 50 programs we send traffic to, and hundreds of categories. If you keep us in mind as a target audience, you will get more sales.

Finally, does it now work perfectly with static directories?

Thankx
Quote Reply
Re: [webslicer] [ Update ] Category_Adverts v2.3 In reply to
Weighting is definatly somethiong I'm looking at adding in v2.5.

>>>If the Links db has a couple of hundred categories, what does the category selection box look like? Is it still as usable? <<<

Currently, it is just the dropd-won box. I'm probably going to make it so that if you have over 500 categories, it shows a text-area, where you can type in the category names (or maybe ID).

>>>Stats: you give overall click and impression. Could you add CTR and monthly CTR and reset buttons for stats? A sortable display or bar chart that showed the most popular by CTR ads would be VERY useful. <<<

Again, this is definatly something I am looking at adding. It would add a completly new dimension to the script. This should be out in 2.5 too.

>>>Please consider adding in more categories and data into your test site. As it is, it is NOT representative of most people's sites that have thousands of links.
We can't judge performance or display the way it is.. <<<

I've had it running on over 50,000 categories, and 100,000+ links, with 20,000~ page hits/day. It doesn't seem to be that slow.

>>>Finally, does it now work perfectly with static directories? <<<

It does now. One of the bugs in 2.2 was that it showed an error on 2.1.0 installations when being inserted into the templates. This has all been fixed up now, so there shouldn't be any problems.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
v2.5 is now out. It doesn't have any/many of the features outlined in my above post, but it does fix quite a major bug (which I felt needed to be made advailable ASAP).

This version adds a new tag to your templates. Basically, it will check to see if a category actually has any adverts to show (this was only recently brought to light, as most people just use the default adverts turned to on).

Now you can use something like;

Code:
<%Plugins::Category_Adverts::CheckAdvert($ID)%>
<%if has_featured%>
... show the plugin stuff here
<%endif%>

The latest version can be download here if you already own this plugin, or own the $200 Package.

http://new.linkssql.net/page.php?page=account

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hey Andy,

Is this possible.

Lets say I have 7 Level of categories.

Level 1 Cat 1
---Level 1 Cat 1
---Level 2 Cat 2
------- Level 3 Cat 1
------- Level 3 Cat 2
------- Level 3 Cat 3
----------- Level 4 Cat 1
----------- Level 4 Cat 2
----------- Level 4 Cat 3

---Level 3 Cat 3
---Level 4 Cat 4

Level 1 Cat 2

Level 1 Cat 3

Level 1 Cat 4

===============================

Now lets say, if an advertiser wants to target ad on everything below Leval 2 Cat 2.. While there is another advertiser who wants to target ads to Level 3 Cat 3 and below how will this plugin work?

Thank you for your help.

Need Scripts

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] [ Update ] Category_Adverts v2.3 In reply to
I could add this function. Maybe when adding an advertiser, have an option 'apply to all sub categories below chosen ones) ... which would then assign the advert to each of the chosen categories 'subcategories'....

Does that make sense? Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Yup it does :)

Also... how about this.. also an ability to put any type of code in input box instead of just advertisement. Cuz I am using PhpAdsNew and would prefer all the stats to be displayed in there, so I can just put in any type of codes/text in theire, then I can just input Ad Code from PhpAdsNew and problem solved :)

Vishal Thakkar

Vishal
-------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [NeedScripts.Com] [ Update ] Category_Adverts v2.3 In reply to
The only problem with 'rich text' banners, is that its not possible to track the clicks (cos the clicking is done to an external link). I suppose I could add something like this in (like AdCycle does).... it wouldn't be for a little while though, as I'm mega bogged down with work, and have just caught the flu Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Just an update. The version for LSQL 2.2 was found to have a bug in. This wasn't a bug as such, but more of a typo and misinformation on the Readme Frown

I've fixed these problems up now, and the newest version is available for download from the Members Area (see sig.).

The current version is now 2.6.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've released version 2.8 now. This includes a "reset stats" features (requested). I've also done a bit of cleaning up the HTML, and made added in some CSS, to make it look nicer =) I'm going to be working on a version for GLinks 3.2 later on today, which will include some cleaning up of the code, and a well needed face lift Smile

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [ Update ] Category_Adverts v3.0 In reply to
Hi,

I've now finished off version 3.0. I've upped the version number, as it makes it easier to work out that its mean't for GLinks, and not LinksSQL (anything upto v2.8 will work on LinksSQL, as far back as 2.1.2).

The main differences are:

1) Few coding changes, to make it quicker (was about4-5 years ago since I wrote this plugin, so my coding skills were not quite so good :D)
2) Templates have been updated to use the `luna` template set.
3) Admin interface tidied up.

You can see the new screenshots etc from here: http://www.ultranerds.com/...Category_Adverts_L6/

It will upgrade fine from prior versions. Simply download, and install again.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hello Andy,

I would like to test version 3, but it does not seem available.

Is the version available?

Thank,
Quote Reply
Re: [Oyo] [ Update ] Category_Adverts v3.0 In reply to
Hi,

Sorry about that - all sorted now (forgot to upload into the 3.2.0 folder Blush)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Hi,

Version 3.2 is now available.

This has 2 new features:

1) The ability to specify the target="" window for each advert
2) You can also enter Javascript into a new field (instead of an image) NB: This WILL NOT track outgoing its!

The new version is available from the Members Area.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk