Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Plugins updates
Here's a brief update.

I have had a series of hardware failures, and Windows failures. 2 of my machines are dead or close to it, and windows is refusing to recognize some sub systems (like USB) to access some external storage devices, so about half my data is off line. I was off line for almost 2 weeks, and lost most of the mail that was sent during that time. I have about 90% from the past 5-7 days. If you sent mail, send it again, or use the GT forums here.

I haven't been able to work on the big new plugins, but I have made some changes to plugins like detailed_page and others, which will be released as a larger package, with an integrated installation, and combined plugin registry system for paths and data.

I've also made some headway into modifying the http://identitydots.com site, so that "parked" domains (as in domain sales site) will refer into a Links SQL database, so you can present information (for sale, for lease, under development, etc) information, and still use banner advertising and external revenue streams to help support the site. It uses mod_rewrite to take the http_server from a default server (one without a specific virtual server set up for it) and passes it to a script .../domain_display.cgi which is a modified detailed_page.cgi and uses the same logic. With this, you'll be able to offer up pages for "parked" domains on a server, and display a dynamic page with information related to that server. This is not for everyone, but if this makes sense to you, and you are interested, contact me privately. It's a kludge.... but it works, and for low volume (as this would most likely be) it should work fine.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Plugins updates In reply to
In case anyone wonders about the utility of setting up a counter on parked domains, in the past 24 hours I had over 4,000 hits to over 600 (about 10%) of my domains. *THAT* is a powerful statistic! And, a powerful marketing tool!

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Plugins updates In reply to
In Reply To:
in the past 24 hours I had over 4,000 hits to over 600 (about 10%) of my domains.

you have about 6000 domains???????????

are you using all of them? individual sites? Some pointing to the same sites?

wow.

r
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] Plugins updates In reply to
It's a mix. About 100 names are set up, or considered "primary" names we have running., or are primary names pointing to another domain. About 2000 are variations of those names, alternatives, .net/org etc., traffic catchers, competition blockers, etc. About 2000-3000 are names that are good site names, good links directory names, or otherwise names we had wanted to develop at some point. The remainder are odds and ends.

You can get a feel for them at http://identitydots.com

I'm really surprised at what names are being hit, and how often. I don't think it's all robot hits, or "feeler" hits, since the click-throughs on the advertising has gone up as well.

Part of my "auction" and "catalog" system was to deal with domain names, as well as collectibles such as trading cards, rocks and model kits. I wish I had implemented this a long, long time ago! It would have been invaluable to plan. This sort of data would have directed me into some other directions, than the ones I followed.

The domain names have prompted much of my Links development. What the postcards/graphics didn't do, the domain names did -- the alpha-bar search, updated search logging, updated ratings tracking, server tweaking, etc <G>

Hopefully, all this will come together on the http://beadiecritters.com site once the database is set up. This is a "real world" site, that the owner could not afford to maintain. It will bring together all the parts I've talked about over the past couple of years -- file upload, image processing, multiple images/attachments, catalog/shopping, auction services, printing, etc. It will be the template site for the other sites -- miniature printables, beads, dollhouses, postcards, rocks, new-age information, etc. The advantage of doing it there, is there is a ready made market for this, and certain expectations in the audience/surfers that will help debug and tweak the programming -- plus non-admin editors (something I've never had on any of my sites before).

Please leave a PM here.