Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Multiple Template sets for WAP / Palm / HTML / Etc

Quote Reply
Multiple Template sets for WAP / Palm / HTML / Etc
Has anyone made any attempt use Links SQL with WML for use on WAP devices?

For example, say that I want to have a web version of my service and a WAP version and perhaps a Palm Version as well - I'm sure this is possible, because it should be relatively simple to pull that data from the database, but has anyone done this yet?

To make it simple, I think you would need several sets of templates, each of which would be written to a different directory. As an example:

/www/ for html
/www/wap/ for WAP
/www/palm/ for Palm

Is this (multiple template sets) something that can be done with Links SQL?

Could a plug in be built that would allow something like this?

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Quote Reply
Re: Multiple Template sets for WAP / Palm / HTML / Etc In reply to
you could have a different template set, by adding a folder with your templates to your template directory, and call it from your browser by:
<%db_cgi_url%>/page.cgi?t=wap
<%db_cgi_url%>/page.cgi?t=palm

the only think to do is create for each template in your default directory one in palm & one in wap version.

Quote Reply
Using Page.cgi sounds like a good solution, thanks a bunch. This would require that the WAP and Palm version be dynamic rather than static, is that correct? Would there be any way to actually "build" the different versions of the site as static pages?

Quote Reply
You could build the pages then replace the templates and rebuild in a new directory and so on and then on your main page have something like...

Wap templates <a href="/wap">here</a>
Default templates <a href="/pages">here</a>

Paul Wilson.
Installations:
http://www.wiredon.net/gt/