Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
Gossamer webhsoting
Is anybody here hosting website with gossamer and if it does could you share some experiences? Please.

Also if you have some other good experiences with hosting your LinksSQL site could you let me know?

Quote Reply
Re: [Z] Gossamer webhsoting In reply to
I am hosted by Gossamer Threads, and I can only say very positive things about it.

Service is great, servers are fast (they know how to setup mod_perl), etc etc

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins
Quote Reply
Gotta agree with yogi. I'm on a dedicated server with Gossamer Host, and it has been great. Their spam filters have to be one of the major features on the servers. Since moving to this server, I havn't had any spam get through to me Smile

BTW, anyone that tells you their prices are high... is talking rubbish. If you want cheap hosting, then try rackshack.net; but Gossamer offer *superb* support, servers, and knowledge!

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [yogi] Gossamer webhsoting In reply to
First question for Ivan. Are you on shared servers or dedicated server?

Also question for anybody else using Gossamer hosting. Do they provide web based email, and how many email accounts they provide?

How about log analyzer. Which one they provide? How good, detailed it is? How about referrals statistics?

I'm using static pages, will mode_pearl help me improve my speed?

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Hi,

I am also a user of Gossamerhost - in fact we have two servers there and can only recommend it.

You get webmail but for external use you should probably look at GMail.

As for log anaylysers they are using Analog and Report Magic which is a good combination.

http://www.analog.cx/
http://www.reportmagic.org/

Cheers
Klaus

http://www.ameinfo.com
Post deleted by Z In reply to
Quote Reply
Re: [klauslovgreen] Gossamer webhsoting In reply to
When you say "get webmail but for external use" do you mean I can use for example 5 email addresses like this me@mydomain.com, mywife@mydomain.com etc....?

How many of these email addresses I can get?

Does Analog and Report Magic show referrals?

Quote Reply
Dropzone.com currently runs on 2 dedicated servers at Gossamer Host.

- 33 million hits per month
- 6 million page views
- 23,000 registered users (more non-registered)

GForum (more than 750,000 posts), GMail, 6xLinksSQL all tied together with Gossamer Community

If you plan to use their software, these guys know how to optimize an environment for their scripts. I highly recommend them and will gladly talk to you more via PM if you have further questions.

Safe swoops
Sangiro
Quote Reply
Hi,

Quote:
Do they provide web based email

Yes, all account have web based email access.

Quote:
how many email accounts they provide?

Unlimited. Each domain gets access to a mail admin panel where you can create as many pop accounts, aliases, forwards and mailing lists as you like.

Quote:
How about log analyzer. Which one they provide? How good, detailed it is? How about referrals statistics?

Each domain gets a daily and monthly stats report generated automatically. We use Analog and Report Magic for generating the reports. It includes referel sites and URL in it.

Quote:
I'm using static pages, will mode_pearl help me improve my speed?

It will improve your search speed as well as any access to .cgi, but it won't improve your static html page speed.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Gossamer webhsoting In reply to
OK..

a lot of satisfied customers - and the sites hosted rock in with blinding speed. You clearly have excellent backbone connections.

Can you divulge a dedicated server cost with 'for example' traffic figures? Complete with setup costs etc.... Look at a 40gig scuzzy drive.

The reason I ask is simple - my hit rate is increasing by about thirty percent every month. The linkssql is responsible for that - with over two and a half thousand entry pages to the site makes for a lot of possibilities. It wont take long to outgrow my US$9 a month hosting.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] Gossamer webhsoting In reply to
Hi,

Well our servers start at $325 a month with a $300 setup fee. We can normally waive the setup fee for 6 month or longer contracts. That plan comes with 33 gigs of bandwidth. For $450 a month you can move to a dual proc system with double the amount of bandwidth. These are the servers we typically recommend for heavy applications (i.e. very large Forum/Mail/Links installs).

It's a bit of a jump from $9 a month, but the performance improvement will be amazing (as all our servers come with mod_perl enabled). Also the servers are fully managed, so we take care of software updates, security updates, o/s patches, hardware, monitoring, backups, etc.

Drop me an email or a private message if you want more info.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Gossamer webhsoting In reply to
>>>These are the servers we typically recommend for heavy applications (i.e. very large Forum/Mail/Links installs). <<<

Which it handles brilliantly Cool

>>>Also the servers are fully managed, so we take care of software updates, security updates, o/s patches, hardware, monitoring, backups, etc. <<<

This is definatly worth the money. I've managed a couple of dedicated servers in the last couple of years, and trust me...I would have far prefered to have a professional team like GT doing it all for me. Even so called "simple" updates etc prooved to be a pain in the arse... and several times they even toppled my server over (once perminantly) ... I havn't had one problem in the time I've been with GT :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Gossamer webhsoting In reply to
The issue, as has been pointed out often, is not the cost per se. The US$9 a month is excellent for what I need right this moment and damned good value. The upgrade would be a full committment to the site and its ability for cost justification and the sites capacity to earn its keep.

If an upgrade happened, the committment would be fairly permanent I think. You want a Rolls Royce, then pay the cost. That simple.

Maybe about May next year.

Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Re: [sangiro] Gossamer webhsoting In reply to
@Sangiro @Alex

Hi,

could you explain wich server-hardware is used for the dropzone project?
(cpu, ram, hd, ..., server-load)

Thanks
Johannes