Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

DirName_converter on beta "2.99"

Quote Reply
DirName_converter on beta "2.99"
Hi,

I was wondering whether anybody had installed the DirName_converter plug-in (latest version is 1.0.6 beta1 ?) on the beta version and got it working ?

I'm planning to do it tomorrow but I was just curious to see if anybody had tried it out...

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] DirName_converter on beta "2.99" In reply to
I did not test it on the LSQL v2.99, but if you have any problems with DirName_converter plugin, let me know, and I will fix it immediately!

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] DirName_converter on beta "2.99" In reply to
Hi,

I've just had a go and I'm most probably not fully awake here yet but I can't see where I define the "build_directory_field" in the admin panel to refer to the Category_Converted_Name or Dir_Name field that the plug-in requires. I looked in the help file for the build part and looked at some of the nifty advanced drop list options that are available but couldn't see anything that looked like "build_directory_field" like in 2.21 .
Is it a case of a lack of vitamins Wink or is this field no longer available in the admin panel ?

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Ah, I see. I checked now.
In LSQL v2.99 likely the DirName_converter plugin becomes unnecessary.
GT added a build_category_format feature, which does something similar, like what DirName_converter plugin did.

Try that new feature and let me know if this LSQL feature is enough for you.

If there is any feature you miss from LSQL, and could be added into an upgraded DirName_converter plugin, then let me know...

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Well I have for example a category called "Côté Pratique".

In the dynamically generated url I get :

page.cgi?g=Cote_Pratique%2F;d=1

but when I use a rewrite rule to create a path to an article in that category I get :

/C_t__Pratique/

so it looks as if handles categories in a similar fashion to the way your plug-in does but that the global I got from the forum to rewrite the url isn't getting the reformated version of the name in the same way the core code is generating the names for the likes of page.cgi etc. There may be a different field for that like with yours or maybe it's some code that dynamically generates it ? :

sub {
my $ID = shift;
my $Title = shift;
my $cats = $DB->table('Links')->get_categories($ID);
my ($cat_id,$cat_full_name) = each %$cats;
my $cat_url = $DB->table('Category')->as_url($cat_full_name);
$Title =~ y/ \t\r\n?"'#/__/d;
return $CFG->{build_root_url} . '/detailed/' . $cat_url . '/' . $Title . '_L' . $ID . '.html';
}

and I don't regret having donated for your plug-in it gave a lot of great options Smile

Thanks for pointing that out. I would have spent ages looking for that information in vain...

Cheers, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
If I will have to rework the plugin due to this surprising change in a core feature, then I will consider to change the free license to commercial license asking a small price per registration.
Those who donated before that time, will get free upgrade for the commercial version.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Hi

That sounds cool Smile

With regards to pricing and IMHO I think I only donated 10 dollars or Euros can't remember but I feel personally that if you do a plug-in like that and that you're asking say 20 or 30 dollars that I would consider it a nice gesture on your behalf to offer me an equivalent reduction on the commercial one...

My site is a personal one but we only get new and cool plug-ins through people like yourself and I consider the plug-in crowd should expect more than a simple pat on the back...

But hey that's just me and as you say the whole thing depends upon how the Links 3 code works and what options there are available without hacking the core code.

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Hi John,

This is a global I am using with 2.99. It allows me to display all main categories in the sidebar of my home page.

'Cat_Name' is the converted name, ie. 'Sound & Lights' becomes 'Sound___Lights'.

I am sure the relevent code below is:
my $title = $table->as_url($hit->{Full_Name});

Code:
sub {

my $tags = shift;
my $table = $DB->table('Category');

$table->select_options ('ORDER BY Full_Name ASC');
my $cat_sth = $table->select( { FatherID => '0' } );

my @output;
while (my $hit = $cat_sth->fetchrow_hashref) {
my $title = $table->as_url($hit->{Full_Name});
$hit->{Cat_Name} = $title;
push (@output, $hit);
}
return { main_categories_loop => \@output };
}
Hope that helps,
Chris
RGB World, Inc. - Software & Web Development.
rgbworld.com
Quote Reply
Quote:
With regards to pricing and IMHO I think I only donated 10 dollars or Euros can't remember but I feel personally that if you do a plug-in like that and that you're asking say 20 or 30 dollars that I would consider it a nice gesture on your behalf to offer me an equivalent reduction on the commercial one...

When I wrote: "Those who donated before that time, will get free upgrade for the commercial version" I meant I will not bother how much somebody donated before...
So if you donated $10, then you will also get free upgrade for DirName_converter 3.x plugin (valid for this plugin only), no matter on how much the plugin price will be.

I feel that fair step to give free upgrade for donators, for those people, who appreciated my work with a donation in the past.

I did not plan to change the free license to commercial license. But since build_directory_field is removed, that step will make me additional work, what I can not afford in other way. I hope at least some of the current users will understand my decision.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Hi,

I understand I was more interested in conveying the opinion that I really appreciate the work that you , ultranerds, Laura etc. provide not only through your nifty plug-ins but also with your frequent assistance on the forum.

And frankly if I don't have to pay I won't complain that much honest Wink

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [rgbworld] DirName_converter on beta "2.99" In reply to
Hi Chris,

I was just looking at the Links database and as you say there are two columns "Name" and "Full_Name" the contents of which are identical in my database. I'm just wondering whether that couldn't be used as the Dir_Name type field that webmaster33's plug-in uses.

I only actually have a few main categories at the moment so I could actually manually modify the Full_Name to get rid of accents but I don't really know what or how it's used (for).

I think I might have have mislead webmaster33 actually because looking through my code I think I had hard coded the names of the categories giving the effect that foreign accents were being modified when in effect there may not be any translation of foreign accents whatsoever Blush

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
I'm still hoping, that GT did just renamed build_directory_field to another option name.
So the DirName_converter functionality could be easily recovered by a small fix.
Let's hope that this is true, and that would mean to keep the plugin free.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Hi,
This is really important for my web site to be able to convert foreign accented letters to a non accented letter for the categories !!!

Could GT please advise as to what can be done and WHY this function was not simply deprecated to use an 'in' word but completely DROPPED from the admin panel ???

For me this goes beyond the plug-in that webmaster33 provide to the community of users that have other languages than English. I can't even change by hand let alone use the plug-in.

With no explanations on this subject since it was raised it feels like GT is saying that foreign versions of Links are not important...

Some feedback would be appreciated...

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Hi John,

Its not just users of this plugin - there were other people using this. I haven't had a chance to have a look at the new version yet but this thread has got me scared. All my (mostly well ranked) categories have different directory names to their proper names - I started using Links after I had already set up my directory and at that time I decided to use this feature to keep the urls the same as the ones that were already in the search engines. That was several years ago and I'm now thinking that this wasn't a sensible decision.

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
I can suppose, that GT renamed the affected config option.
But then I don't know why they didn't keep the obsolete config option for backward compatibility reasons. This wouldn't be difficult to keep backward compatibility at all, just a decision.

I should take a look into the core code to check, what similar feature I can use to make to upgrade the plugin.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
That would be great webmaster33 and it would be nice to get some feedback from GT about what actually was done and if any provisions ie. new functions were established for the people that not only used it and voiced the fact through the forum but also people who are now explaining that the functionality is important to them !
There may well be something that has replaced this functionality ?

Thanks, John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] DirName_converter - LSQL v3.0.0 upgrade In reply to
Quote:
That would be great webmaster33 and it would be nice to get some feedback from GT about what actually was done and if any provisions ie. new functions were established for the people that not only used it and voiced the fact through the forum but also people who are now explaining that the functionality is important to them !
There may well be something that has replaced this functionality ?

I checked the LSQL code changes and it seems that I can upgrade the plugin to support the LSQL v3.0 version. I hope there will be not too much problems with the upgrade.

The DirName_converter plugin v2.0 will be commercial plugin and will support LSQL version 3.0.
The price will be a fair low $30.

Let me express my regret, that I have to change the license. I assumed the plugin is a well tested, finished one, and did not plan to upgrade it anymore (except if new features would have been requested by donators).
I accept the demand for it, so I will do the upgrade development to support LSQL v3.0.
The price is kept low, to make it affordable for those, who used the free version before.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] DirName_converter - LSQL v3.0.0 upgrade In reply to
Nice one webmaster33. Do let me know when you have a stable version if you want me to test it out Smile.

John
Significant Media
Quote Reply
Re: [Jag] DirName_converter - LSQL v3.0.0 upgrade In reply to
Due to release of StaticURLtr plugin by GT, it doesn't seem to be worth to put any efforts into the planned International text converter plugin.

I'm hesitating, if there is worth to release DirName converter plugin upgrade.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support