Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

Data import/update via XML

Quote Reply
Data import/update via XML
Does anyone know if there is a plugin for importing data via XML feed?

I would also need this plugin to allow for modification/updating and deleting of imported links.
Quote Reply
Re: [hagai] Data import/update via XML In reply to
Hi,

There is no plugin I have (I mainly work with CSV/pipe delimited files). It wouldn't be too hard to write something to read an XML file, and convert it into links (and update/modify a listing if it already exists) - however, there is no simple "plugin" that would do this (that I know of)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Data import/update via XML In reply to
Thanks Andy,

I know of your CustomDataImportGen plugin. so i guess what i need to know is if it would be simple to modify the code to work with and XML feed (pull and push mechanism).

I am also worried about security. IE. i will need to limit each feed to a specific number of links it can upload. Make sure that a particular feed can only modify links it uploaded. Assign each feed a unique security key so no one else can upload links on their behalf...

Hagai
Quote Reply
Re: [hagai] Data import/update via XML In reply to
Hi,

Nah, I'm afraid my CustomDataImportGen won't work for XML, sorry.

Quote:
I am also worried about security. IE. i will need to limit each feed to a specific number of links it can upload. Make sure that a particular feed can only modify links it uploaded. Assign each feed a unique security key so no one else can upload links on their behalf...

That wouldn't be too hard. Basically, assign the LinkOwner a feed name (i.e on a per-feed basis). Then, it would need some kind of ID number (maybe a product ID, or whatever you are trying to import) - so it knows what record to update.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Data import/update via XML In reply to
Andy has just written an xml import script for me and it works very well. Worth the $ unless you've got lots of time to spend figuring it out for yourself... and the concentration Unsure