Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
A new MOD suggestion
OK, many people want their detailed pages to show up different than the original defaults. But to be able to do so the user must first be able to:
- do some Perl programming
- access the database and do some direct changes
Well, I can not do any of those two. Blush

This MOD (lets call it newMOD for now) should enable users to add custom fields to their detailed page results. Many website using LinksSQL have done some customizing of their own like flashkit.com and hotscripts.com and its PERFECT.
Cool

So, do we really need a mod for this? or is there some sort of tutorial which can easily direct us novices on how to do this?
Thanks!

Haitham

Last edited by:

halkibsi: Apr 15, 2003, 9:12 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [halkibsi] A new MOD suggestion In reply to
I "think" there's a manual for LinkSQL in the download area - take a look at that and see if it helps you out.

cheers,
r.
Quote Reply
Re: [ryel01] A new MOD suggestion In reply to
Actually I did read it and "tried" to apply what was said... the result was a corrupt database and I had ot reinstall the whole application again Unsure

Haitham
Quote Reply
anyone?

Haitham
Quote Reply
Can you give a better description of exactly what you want to do and then someone can reply with a step-by-step solution for you.

If it is just that you want to add a custom field (say Full_Description) and have it show up in the detailed page, this is what I would do:

Go to Database in your admin panel.

Select Links->Properties.

Click 'Add Column' at the bottom of the page.

Put the entries in as:

Column_Name => Full_Description

Column_Type => Text

Column_Index => None

Form_Display => Full_Description

Form_Type => TextArea

Form_Size => 60,4

Search_Weight => 1

and leave all the other fields as they are. You may need to change these for the type of column you want to add - you'll need to read the documentation to find out more about these or ask here.

Once you've added the field, click on 'Resync database'.

Then, to add the field to your detailed page, just go to your detailed page template and add the tag

<%Full_Description%>

where you want the data to appear. You may want to put some <%if ...%> tags around it to only show for certain values etc.

Hope that helps,

Laura.
The UK High Street
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] A new MOD suggestion In reply to
A very good walkthrough.

BTW, the following code is needed when you add a column using MySQLMan. But you don't need to 'Resync database' if you add a column in the admin panel.

Quote:
Once you've added the field, click on 'Resync database'.
Quote Reply
Re: [Fortune] A new MOD suggestion In reply to
Yes - couldn't remember whether this was needed or not but decided to include it as it doesn't do any harm.

Under mod_perl this all becomes slightly more involved - I have to restart my server after every change to the properties and then I always resync the database to make sure that changes are still there.
Quote Reply
Re: [afinlr] A new MOD suggestion In reply to
??
Are you explaining this to me using MySQLMan?
When I go to database = Links, I receive a list of tables, with each row containing the word "properties". So, ummmm which properties am I supposed to click ot add that column?

Sorry, I hope that you can be a little patient with me.

Haitham
Quote Reply
Properties, I believe is in the admin panel under Database > Links/Properties (from the comboboxes)
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] A new MOD suggestion In reply to
Blush eek!
I feel embaressed!
I will try the above scheme now and report back.

Thanks!

Haitham
Quote Reply
Well all of us started as beginner. Many of us, learned Perl while improving our Links site. Slowly, you will also learn it. Don't afraid to ask on the forum if you don't know something, and this strong community will try help you.

I decided to list possibilities of a new Links SQL user, just for your information.
A Links SQL user has several options after he/she bought Links SQL:
1) Customize the Links SQL templates, fill the database, and feel satisfied with default features of Links SQL. If wants more go to step 2).

2) Extend features, templates with globals available for free from GT support forums. There are many of them. You can even get help developing new ones, which fit your needs. Don't afraid to ask, all of us started as beginner.

3) There are already great plugins to extend Links SQL default features (and more to come), so if you save a bit money, and buy some plugins, you can really improve your site. Several plugin are also available for FREE.

4) If your wished feature is not available yet (nor as global, nor as plugin), you can post a Custom Job request if somebody will do that for money. Depending on the difficulty of requested solution, the cost can vary from just a few bucks, to very expensive plugins.

5) When you learned a lot in improving Links SQL, learning Perl, creating globals, then you can start creating your first plugin. You will be amazed to feel how nice is to be creative & implement your own wishes into Links SQL.

Tough I know this info does not give you special info about Links SQL, but may allow to you to see your growing possibilities, and give you some courage to ask on the forum and improve Links SQL.
Good Luck!

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] A new MOD suggestion In reply to
That is actually very well said and says a lot about the ability to do so much with LinksSQL.

Good Job! Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [Teambldr] A new MOD suggestion In reply to
One of the things I'm toying with is building the pages with .php extension and using PHP to customise. I love LinkSQL for its ability to build static pages and a great keyword dense directory structure and I can then add various other plugins using PHP if I want by just changing the build HTML extensions.
Quote Reply
Re: [shrirch] A new MOD suggestion In reply to
For Links SQL & PHP related questions & discussions better post into Links SQL / PHP category.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
from Webmaster33. Expert in Perl programming & Gossamer Threads applications. (click here for prices)
Webmaster33's products (upd.2004.09.26) | Private message | Contact me | Was my post helpful? Donate my help...
Quote Reply
Re: [webmaster33] A new MOD suggestion In reply to
Wasn't a question. Was just stating that a good way for someone who is not a perl guru, to customize the product is to BUILD the pages with a .php extension, there by turning every page into a dynamic php page with embedded functions.

I'll just go back into my corner and continue to mumble to myself. :)
Quote Reply
Hey, it wasn't about to hurt you, just noted that for PHP related discussions, there is a separate category.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support
Quote Reply
Hi,

It's ok, here is ok. The Links SQL PHP forum is for the php front-end which you weren't referring to.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] A new MOD suggestion In reply to
It was not even related to the "A new MOD suggestion" subject.
Even though the idea he wrote is good, personally I don't mind about PHP, but those who are interested in it, are reading the PHP category. So IMO such post belongs there.

Best regards,
Webmaster33

Paid Support