Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

ANNOUNCEMENT: LinksSQL.net is changing --> Ultranerds.com

Quote Reply
ANNOUNCEMENT: LinksSQL.net is changing --> Ultranerds.com
We are a bit behind our time table, but we are sufficiently forward that we can start putting the changes into effect.

For those who hadn't heard, or read the previous announcement:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=258159

Andy and I have joined forces under a new name -- http://Ultranerds.com

The benefits for us are more eyes and hands doing things, shared labor, some time off for sleep...

The benefits to the user community will be more round the clock support, better and increased numbers of plugins, and a whole host of other intangibles. We also have a support forum set up that will have an area for each plugin and service we offer, so that your problem may already be listed and answered.

One of the new features is on-line purchasing of the plugins, and soon to be automated downloads. We will be using a real merchant account, not PayPal or a 3rd party billing service, so there is better security on our end, and the ability to provide immediate downloads (once we work the bugs out).

I hope to have the time and resources to resurrect the Link SQL FAQ site, and develop an on-line manual for setting up and working with Links SQL, and maybe even hints on how to modify and program for it.

Ultranerds.com is running the current Community, Links SQL, GForum and GOCart software from GT. It's running on Gossamer Hosting Services.

We have no "affiliation" with GT other than we use and write 3rd party modules for their core software line, and we can't say enough good things about the quality of Gossamer Hosting Services (which we have used for over 2 years now)! Ultranerds.com is a cooperative venture between Andy and PUGDOG Enterprises, Inc.

Please Note As stated in the previous post in December, the price of the "Ultra" package, the complete selection of plugins, as risen to $350. The licensing has changed to 1 year free upgrades, then an annual renewal fee for upgrades. You may continue to use the most recent version you own for as long as you like. Current license holders will still get free unlimited upgrades, and access to all new plugins under the terms of your original license.

SPECIAL CHARTER/BETA PERIOD BONUS: During the next 30 days, or until Feb 28th, for ease of remembering, anyone who purchases the Ultra Package under the new terms will be upgraded to the old "Lifetime Free Upgrades and new programs" license! We are going to have bugs, quirks and other problems during this initial period, so we will give you an incentive bonus for bearing with us.

We are set up to accept MC/Visa and Discover. We can also take US Checks, but not on-line. (On-line/electronic checks are a problem -- read the fine print. As webmasters you should *really* read the fine print on electronic checks before agreeing to accept them for any valuable intellectual or tangible property!!)

This is the last post we'd like to make about the details here, we urge those with questions to visit us at http://ultranerds.com. We'll continue to post upgrade/update announcements to the various plug in threads here, but we'd like to move the support for them to the new forum area.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] ANNOUNCEMENT: LinksSQL.net is changing --> Ultranerds.com In reply to
Just so people know... LinksSQL.net will keep running, until we are happy that UltraNerds.com is fully working, and that a transfer would be safe :) (hopefully this Friday).

Once this change takes place, LinksSQL.net will simply be forwarded to UltraNerds.com. Existing owners of the $200 plugin package deal, and just normal plugins, will then be transfered to the new site, where you login details will then work :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] ANNOUNCEMENT: LinksSQL.net is changing --> Ultranerds.com In reply to
Congrats guys - It is about time this was taken by the throat and a really sorted out. There is no doubt this will be a great success.

Question - will, as part of your service, the merchant account be available for use by others - with a small commission payable of course. I think we all know about the paypals of the world and etc and the problems there.
Best wishes.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] ANNOUNCEMENT: LinksSQL.net is changing --> Ultranerds.com In reply to
Unfortunately, the merchant agreements specifically forbid that.

PayPal used some trickery to get around it, much to the chagrin of the credit card issuers. In fact, early on, they almost lost MC/Visa.

You can actually lose your merchant account by allowing 3rd parties to use it.

The advantage, though, of going through the hoops to get a merchant account, is *not* having to use some service like paypal, or getting stuck with waiting for checks and money orders. You are not at the paranoid whim of the 3rd party afraid of "charge backs" refunding everything. Because we'll collect and run the charge cards directly, we'll be able to track fraud, and fight chargebacks. It's a lot more complicated than that, but the bottom line is it should lower software and services distribution costs, while improving the response time and decreasing fraud. Because we can fight chargebacks, we can automatically distribute software. Using paypal, fighting chargebacks is virtually impossible -- but they don't "advertise" that. Merchants take hit after hit, but only the "consumer" side of the story is ever told.... :(

What we might do, for software, is "resell" it. The way some of the buy-on-line or download companies do. We are actually selling the software and license, but pay the software author a commission after the sale. Several companies do that, and it's in compliance with the agreement. I've paid commissions for years on all sorts of intellectual property, and it's a cool thing when it works. Everyone benefits, since the content creators can just concentrate on creating content, and the content providers can work on bettering the distribution system, without having to seek out sources of content.

For now, though, it's in the future, but this is probably the extent of where' we'll go with that.

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] ANNOUNCEMENT: LinksSQL.net is changing --> Ultranerds.com In reply to
Your answer is very much the reason I asked. There are a heap of sites 'out there' devoted to the disgraces of paypal. The only way I have figured out to get around the fact that paypal do in fact hit you badly is to:
  1. Have a (visa) debit card only.
  2. Collect every cent you can as quick as possible
  3. get the money into your account
  4. get the money out of that account and into another one asap.

In other words - dont leave any way for them to access anything with any funds available.
Your experiences and software may be of help at a later date.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] ANNOUNCEMENT: LinksSQL.net is changing --> Ultranerds.com In reply to
That's a good name.......Ultranerds Smile

BTW, which merchant account provider did you go with? What are their rates? Have they been good to work with?

Many thanks, and good luck with your new venture. You have both provided tons of help to so many people here at Goss.

ThankYouThankYou Smile

------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: [DogTags] ANNOUNCEMENT: LinksSQL.net is changing --> Ultranerds.com In reply to
Hi,

We've had a merchant account since the early 90's. The company has changed names a few times, or sold the accounts a few times and it now rests with an east-coast company (and I'd tell you the name, but can't remember.... something early american)

Because we had a history, we were able to open a second merchant account for internet sales - and it took only about 6 months <sigh>. We also had to drop AmEx, because of problems in set up -- so don't think it was easy :)

After looking around though, we chose authorize.net as the gateway.

For those who may not know, there are 3 parts to an on-line transaction.

1) the ecommerce software running on the site
2) the "gateway" that connects the ecommerce software to the bank/card network
3) the merchant account you own that actually accepts the deposit

Most banks/services that issue individual merchant accounts (like you would apply for in your name or your business name) use a 3rd party gateway, which Authorize.net is the largest.

Companies like Wells Fargo have their own set up (or they did). I *think* I posted about 2 years ago the trials and tribulations of trying to find a "good" merchant account. We did not originally go with our current provider, because they didn't have Internet accounts. But, after 6 months or more of looking, they had added them, so we went with them. (The devil you know.... sort of thing).

I think Discover is also offering a service, or at least they were. We almost went with them.

Rates are the major issue for most people, and while it's something you have to deal with for each transaction, they are really not what is going to kill you. If you figure a 5% "Cost of doing business Surcharge" on purchases, you'll be in the range for 90% or more of the charge services (for charges over about 10$). Getting better rates is everyone's goal, but it can be pennywise and pound foolish. What are the "hidden" charges? Monlthly fees? Chargeback fees? etc. What rules do you need to follow to protect yourself -- how strict your verification, etc.

Some companies had a 10-12% surchage on transactions once all was said and done!

That is unacceptable, for us. It was in the range of ebay, and that is not good. (eBay -- you have their fees, relisting fees, listing fees, completion fees, image fees, etc, THEN on top of that you have the charge fees, etc. That is why so many people start up, and quit -- there has to be a 20% or so surchage on everything you sell to BREAK EVEN!)

If you use a 3rd party service like paypal -- they need to add their fees on top of the MC/Visa etc fees.

But, despite the fees, the *real* reason to try and get your own merchant account is security. Because you are one of the parties to the credit agreement, that is directly goverened by federal, interstate and state laws, you have rights you just don't have using a service like PayPal. One of those rights is to challenge -- and fight -- chargebacks.

With Paypal you have to have truly _bogus_ and costly "on line" verification. With your own merchant account your postoffice reciepts, UPS reciepts, signature cards, etc *ALL* valid proof. The UPS confirmation that it was delivered, COUNTS! Your invoice with "All Sales final, insurance fees are your option" COUNTS.

Anyway, this is longer and off topic, maybe we should slice this and move it to a new thread?

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Hi andy,
Does this then mean, that we still have lifetime access to the paid plugins? or?
Bent
In Reply To:
Just so people know... LinksSQL.net will keep running, until we are happy that UltraNerds.com is fully working, and that a transfer would be safe :) (hopefully this Friday).

Once this change takes place, LinksSQL.net will simply be forwarded to UltraNerds.com. Existing owners of the $200 plugin package deal, and just normal plugins, will then be transfered to the new site, where you login details will then work :)

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: [bannerzone] ANNOUNCEMENT: LinksSQL.net is changing --> Ultranerds.com In reply to
Existing members of the $200 package, will be transfered to UltraNerds. Hope that clears things up.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Just though I would put an update on how we are doing.

Its been a pretty mad year so far. Had a few good, and a few bad things happening :(

I won't bore you with the bad things, but here is the good stuff;

1) PostCards plugin will be available soon - Not sure on a price yet, but its pretty cool. We've cleaned this plugin up quite a lot, as its a main part of our new OEM version of LinksSQL (ImageSQL).
2) Members area should be available soon. Currently members have to download the plugins from LinksSQL.net. We should have the new members area setup pretty soon. We have GCommunity working on UltraNerds.com at the moment, so you only need one account.
3) SQLWidgets.com has been opened - We've opened SQLWidgets.com now. There isn't a huge amount of content there yet, but we are working on it. If you have a global that you are using, and you think should be listed, please either email andy@ultranerds.com, or submit it via the form on the site :)
4) UltraNerds.com has been redesigned - The old design has now been totally filtered out. It was only a tempory thing, whilst we got the site setup. If you find any problems on the site, please let me know :)
5) Once the new membership area becomes active, we will be changing the copyrights in the plugins, as appropriate. I don't see a need to do this yet, as I am still pretty much operating on LinksSQL.net, so this doesn't really need to be done until we finalise the opening :)
6) GoCart has now been installed on UltraNerds- This will make it easier for people to make CC payments for our products (rather than PayPal). This works out quite cool too, cos its all done manually, so you can add as many items to your cart as you want, and make the purchase in one go (unlike my old one, where you had to buy them all seperatly, unless you were getting the $200 package).

Thats it for now. It doesn't look much, but trust me... its took quite a long time :(

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: [bannerzone] ANNOUNCEMENT: LinksSQL.net is changing --> Ultranerds.com In reply to
In short, everyone who has already purchased a license will be grandfathered in as "charter" members.

New licenses fall under the new rules.

The OEM programs are *not* plugins, so have a completely different set of rules as described.

(pretty much anything that has it's own site is not a plugin <G>)

Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
To say it's been a mad year so far is an understatement! At this point it will be a cold day in hell before I buy another dell (hmmm.... is there a correlation between (d|H)ell ??

Anyway.... there is a *lot* going on, and most plugins are, or will be reworked. Once the products start to get fleshed out, we'll be rotating development between them, so no one product will have ultimate priority, and all products will be worked on until they are "finalized" ... that is mostly for plugins <G>.... some things can never be finalized. (Who was it who said a work of art is never finished, only abandoned??)

We do understand that during this phase in, and redevelopment/redeployment there _WILL_ be bugs, and problems in both the software and the sites. Please bear with us.

In the end, it will all be worth it, and the new WidgetsSQL / AllHacks sites will be well worth it as well, as a point-source for SQL/Links hacks and tweaks, as well as a reference system.

I don't know if GT will let us HTMLize the manual, but if we can, we can make it so that comments/updates can be posted by users to each section (like some of the GNU sites) so that "fixes" will occur in real-time. If not, we can start development of a manual, begining with installation, then moving up to customizations.

For me, the reference site is going to be the big deal :) I am so tired of looking all over my disks, backups, multiple folders, etc.

We have several large clients set up for the ImageSQL sites, and management, so if you are thinking about this program, please contact us ASAP, as we might have to limit initial deployment to make sure everyone has sufficient support through the beta period.

Ultranerds.com has a forum area set up for discussion of the products, plugins and such. Please keep all the heated discussions there, and only the general stuff here.

Remember, right now it's still just andy and me working on all this. That's only a *maximum* of 48 hours in a 24 hour day <G> And we *do* need sleep.

Please leave a PM here.