Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Development, Plugins and Globals :

[New Plugin] Check_Empty_Cats

Quote Reply
[New Plugin] Check_Empty_Cats
Quite a basic plugin, but someone wanted me to write it for them, so here we go Wink

Basically, you just define how many links you want to be in a category before it is classed as 'ready'....for example, setting the user option to 10, will cause any categories that have 9 or less, to be reported when the checker is run.

I've tested it on 120k link (15k categories)..so I don't envisage there being any problems). Well, enjoy... Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [New Plugin] Check_Empty_Cats In reply to
Hmm could I ask what it would be used for?

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 27, 2002, 9:41 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] [New Plugin] Check_Empty_Cats In reply to
Literally, just to check what categories have no links in, or less than 'x' amount of links. Like I said, its notging amazing, but seeing as I wrote it (free for someone)...I thought I would make it available to everyone else Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] [New Plugin] Check_Empty_Cats In reply to
Sounds nice..

I will p[lay around with..

It will help with sites on shared servers so unneeded pages will not be built..

If that can be extended to where that category index page will not be build but still be available through add.cgi?
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] [New Plugin] Check_Empty_Cats In reply to
>>
It will help with sites on shared servers so unneeded pages will not be built..
<<

How?....you'll still have to delete them manually so you may as well have just set up a script via cron:

$DB->table('Category')->delete( GT::SQL::Condition->new('Number_of_Links', '<', $some_number) );

That will also handle foreign key deletions.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 28, 2002, 3:49 AM
Quote Reply
You got me there..

Let say they do not have cron on their server Tongue

(hey let's just say that this script is of some use to someone out there paul Wink )
Regards
KaTaBd

Users plug In - Multi Search And Remote Search plug in - WebRing plug in - Muslims Directory
Quote Reply
Re: [katabd] [New Plugin] Check_Empty_Cats In reply to
>>
Let say they do not have cron on their server
<<

So then what is this plugin going to do for you if you can't act upon what it tells you? (btw you don't need to cron, you could set up and admin link if you wanted)

I'm only interested in how you are going to use it, I'm not criticizing the plugin, although I do really think Andy should concentrate on bigger plugins.

Last edited by:

Paul: Aug 28, 2002, 4:02 AM
Quote Reply
As I said Paul, the aim of this plugin (at least for the person I wrote it for), is to check which categories have less than a certain number of links in....if they do, then it will be shown in the report, and the admin can report on it appropriatly, most likely by putting their efforts into finding links for those particular category...

Hope that clears things up a little Tongue

BTW Paul...if you have any ideas on bigger plugins I could work on, I'm all ears Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk