Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Testing Forum :

fix a windoz box

Quote Reply
fix a windoz box
How in the world do you get a windoze box to startup from the dang CD ?!?!?

On a mac you press "c" until the box kicks in the CD and bingo !

Is there a similar way to do this on a windows machine ????

I'm trying to fix a broken machine for a friend, she's older and barely gets by with word, so I get some homemade pie and she gets a fixed machine. A sweet deal for me, eh!

I can't get through the GUI interface, it crashes with a broken registry.

Tried the F8 thing and can't rebuild the registry as suggested with the user manual.

I'm trying to figure out how to access the main cd from the F8 option.

Is this possible?

What else can I do besides rip out all the parts, sell them seperately on e-bay or yahoo and trash the case?

any help would be appreciated.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] fix a windoz box In reply to
You need the start-up disk.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] fix a windoz box In reply to
Go into your bios by hiting the delete key when you first turn on your pc. Change the boot order of your drives so that the CDROM is first. Save and restart your computer. After that, you should see "boot from CD..." at the bottom of your screen. Press enter and it should give you the option to boot from the hard drive or the CD rom. You'll see a couple of options pertaining to just running from the hard drive or just command line, or running the setup CD. You *should* be able to resinstall Windows without it affecting any of your programs.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] fix a windoz box In reply to
Wil / PerlFreak

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try today ... I was starting to think that the CD drive was blown or something ... bad piece of harware .. and ka-bloowey thing I thought.

I tried tech support on the phone, but I get the automated system and if the line is busy, I get dropped. After 5pm a $XX per minute charge system takes over ... hehe, a bad economy eh!

thanks, will try.

Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] fix a windoz box In reply to
Wil / PerlFreak

Thanks guys, I'll give that a try today ... I was starting to think that the CD drive was blown or something ... bad piece of harware .. and ka-bloowey thing I thought.

I tried tech support on the phone, but I get the automated system and if the line is busy, I get dropped. After 5pm a $XX per minute charge system takes over ... hehe, a bad economy eh!

thanks, will try.