Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
OMG
Well I have to give respect to M$ for WinXP Professional.

I just installed it and it ROCKS!

It allows you several different setup options like upgrade/new install and allows you to pick a drive letter. It also lets you select from the different OS's when you boot up.

Here are a few screen shots....the GUI is sweet as.

http://www.wiredon.net/Capture1.JPG

http://www.wiredon.net/Capture2.JPG

Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] OMG In reply to
Get Linux and Install Windows X.

End of Chat.

- wil
Quote Reply
Re: [Wil] OMG In reply to
Ugh no thanks.
Quote Reply
Does it still install with floppies Sly

Welcome to the convenice that Mac users have had since .... errr ... can't remember ... err ... at least Mac OS 7.0 ... I missed out on the previous 5 /6 era.

Mac's let you choose which drive to start up ... and even now OS X can dual boot from the same partition, that means Mac OS 9 or OS X -- your choice...

----- end of egging

Actually, now matter how much I detest M$, I'M GLAD that M$ has finally decided to give their users such useful features. They are really nice!

question: can you partition your drives ??? like take a 40 gig ... use 10 for XP pro / 10 for ME / 10 for applications -- file storage / and the last 10 for LINUX ??? I'm curious ... since most of friends are Mac users and the only M$ friend still hasn't figured that kind of thing out yet. NO, I'm not trying to be "whatever" just a simple question.

----------

hmmm ... I think we need a chit chat forum for off the wall posts ... I think it be a nice to have a place just to chit-chat about all kinds of topics here at GT ... maybe with the community plugin ... a community (non-script based) forum could be added.

openoffice + gimp + sketch ... Smile
Quote Reply
Re: [QooQ] OMG In reply to
Quote:
question: can you partition your drives ??? like take a 40 gig ... use 10 for XP pro / 10 for ME / 10 for applications -- file storage / and the last 10 for LINUX ???

Yup - thats what Im doing right now. Im about to kill all partitions, format and do fdisk /mbr

Boohooo - I may be gone for like a week if I screw this up...lol

I'm undecided as to which combination I'll use:

Partition 1 Win98 SE
Partition 2 WinXP Pro
Partition 3 WinME
Partition 4 Linux Mandrake

-OR-

Partition 1 Win98 SE
Partition 2 WinXP Pro
Partition 3 Linux Mandrake

-OR-

Partition 1 WinXP Pro
Partition 2 Linux Mandrake

I'm leaning towards the final option as I don't like ME and am bored of 98.

Re: Chit-Chat forum....I definitely agree.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 9, 2001, 5:11 PM
Quote Reply
IS fdisk graphical or is it like the one with *nix distros?

I tried fdisk once and all the numbers was pretty scary ... 1 input mistake and a complete redo. The redhat wizard thing I never get to work ... errrr oh well, glad I waited the year and a half for 10.

that is not avaliable for Macs. We need to repartion or live with the formatting that you've got already. although 10 has open up the world of *nix to use, I'm still fidgety about laying with the deeper side of the force.

I hate system rebuilds, just way too much to worry about, did I copy the right folders over, did I forget anything, am I going to erase something I shouldn't ... pure paranoia ... good luck either OS, it's still not fun Frown

98 might be good just to check for web development ... how about a mini install version -- as in a severly cut done version just to run the older browsers and no other apps ???

hehe, that's why I was gone for a few days about 2 weeks ago .... I totally fried my apache and was playing with updates, and just ended up doing a full from scratch install ... learned alot about mysql backing up though LOL

good luck !!!

Quote Reply
Well Im going to be running fdisk from DOS because there will be nothing left on my pc lol.....I've only ever run it from DOS anyway.

I like killing my whole pc.....gives me great satifsaction when it is all nice and clean and fast and not bogged down by about a million useless bits of software.

I think I may make 3 partitions but leave one empty incase I decide to install Win98.

Quote Reply
Im not sure that 1.30am is the best time to start this Tongue

.......but danger is my middle name
Quote Reply
Angelic

Yep, that's the way I like it too.

Nothing like a fresh partion to screw up again.Smile

I've been there normaly when you're really sleepy and/or have just gotten up is the best time to forget to copy something for copying back in later. Crazy

Quote Reply
You actually like and enjoy using Windowsz?

- wil
Quote Reply
You actually like and enjoy using Windowsz?

- wil
Quote Reply
Well after 15 hours I finally got Win98 and WinXP installed.

I've been on the phone to M$, Gateway...bla bla.......

Turns out my CD writer had corrupted the tiniest little XML file which halted the whole XP install process. Luckily a search on the web showed others are having the same problem and I found a replacement file (which was a measly 2k)

Woohooo

Now surfing in style with IE6

I tried out Linux quickly but need to download another 600MB ISO for everything to work properly.

Last edited by:

RedRum: Oct 10, 2001, 9:59 AM
Quote Reply
*cough*mandrake*cough*crap*cough*

jason and scott aren't gonna like this Wink
mandrake isn't too shabby, but i prefer slackware...

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] OMG In reply to
So what's the best solution for a wintel machine ???

Macs, well, doh ... OS X, but if you can't go with that ... darwin, LinuxPPC, ... yellowdog are a few that come to mind.

ummm ... Darwin still has lots of x86 notation in it ... !

Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] OMG In reply to
I was reading a huge list of comments made by Linux users at linux.org and the majority priased Mandrake and said it was great so I decided to give it a try.

I've just finished downloading 1.8 GIG of ISO's so lets hope it is worth it....

Quote Reply
hmmm ... interesting ... phpNuke is something like being "sponsored ???" by them.

Red Hat has aktopia -- a pretty involved shopping cart system ... 2 companies combined to form aktopia ...

I've been thinking about putting together a box made from the cheapest parts I can find ... to view pages ... web work is great on a mac but does no good if everybody is viewing from a wintel machine ...

that's why I asked.

thanks for the info.