Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Pre Sales :

Install problem Win XP/SQL Server

Quote Reply
Install problem Win XP/SQL Server
I downloaded gforum-1.2.3 and installed (WinXPProSP2) per instructions in the README file. Set up 'gforum' DB in SQL Server (2000) and created 'gforum' ODBC connection. Ran install.cgi from CMD using Perl 5.8.4 (AS build 810) to C:\dev\gforum: no errors reported.

Created IIS (6) virtual directory, added .cgi to Application Mappings to use the perlIS.dll. Brought up http://localhost/gforum/admin/admin.cgi in Firefox, clicked on Next.

Got "Forum Setup" Step 2", filled in MS-SQL, host:localhost, SQL DB: gforum, SQL Username and password, etc. Clicked on Next and get the error:

A fatal error has occurred:
GForum::Config (576): Unable to move 'C:/dev/gforum/admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm.tmp.576.1108657041.6811' to 'C:/dev/gforum/admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm': Permission denied. at C:\dev\gforum\admin\setup.cgi line 471.

Please enable debugging in setup for more details.
Line 471 of setup.cgi is "$CFG->save();" followed by a GForum::Template->parse_print of 'setup_third.html'. I'm guessing that it is getting ready to move on to Step 3.

I couldn't find any way to "enable debugging in setup".

The C:/dev/gforum/admin/GForum/Config folder does have a Data.pm file in it - since its contents look useful, I'm attaching it if helpful.

The DB appears to have valid tables constructed (no foreign keys?), so the ODBC looks OK.

I've fiddled with directory and IIS permissions but continue to get the error. No errors reported in Event Log.

TIA for your help.
Quote Reply
Re: [rpwt] Install problem Win XP/SQL Server In reply to
I've temporarily gotten around the permissions problem by executing the CFG->Save() in an eval{} block. This did let me go on to the Step 3 page. However, I'm not sure that everything is set up properly. I mean, didn't even set the name and password to login as an Administrator, and therefore the site is rather bare-bones.

Am I extremely dense (or what), but where is the basic documentation on how to administer the forum? I can't find a /doc[umentation] folder, and the comments in the GT forums indicate that I should be using the GT forum as a reference.

A nice gentleman (?) from GT replied to my support request indicating that 1) they don't answer installation questions; and 2) they try to get their customers to move to a *nix base.

I understand both points, however my current app runs on Windows 2003 Server (or Win2K) with MSSQL DB. I'll need close integration of forum/discussion-ware with the current ASP/Perl/MSSQL implementation. Perhaps it can be done with CYGWIN?
Quote Reply
Looking at that error, it looks like it's some permission problem (it looks like the actual error is originating from Perl). Your permissions allow for new files to be written, but isn't allowing for file modifications.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Install problem Win XP/SQL Server In reply to
Adrian - thanks for your reply.

A couple of quick questions to help me solve this - I really want to use this forum software - it seems to have everything I need, but it needs work on my Windows boxes with SQL Server Crazy

How can I turn on the 'debug' mode and have the messages come back to me in the browser? I see the ATT{debug} flag in Config.pm - do I just set this to 1 (or 2..n)? Do I need to use one or more of the CGI::Carp modules to do STDERR redirection?

How much code hacking is normally done by admins to tailor the GForums? Or is there a nice browser configuration interface that I haven't reached yet?
Quote Reply
If you change debug in admin/GForum/Config/Data.pm to 1, then you should get the more verbose debug output.

In Reply To:
How much code hacking is normally done by admins to tailor the GForums?
If you're talking about modifying code, with our products, most customisations can be done using the plugin system.

In Reply To:
Or is there a nice browser configuration interface that I haven't reached yet?
After you finish the initial setup, you get to the administration panel, where you can do all the forum admin (user management, forum/category creation, etc).

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Install problem Win XP/SQL Server In reply to
Great - it's working now.

Brain-dead Windows XP Pro makes setting individual ACLs on folders an adventure.

Just for others that may stumble into this problem and this thread -

The Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | View "Use simple file sharing (Recommended)" needs to be unchecked. Then the Security tab in the folder Properties dialog box is enabled. Adding the Internet Guest Account (IUSR_xxxx) allows setting the proper ACLs.

Thanks, Adrian.