Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Pre Sales :

Install problems - trial version

Quote Reply
Install problems - trial version
I am attempting to install Gossamer Threads Forum software on a site. We are hosted at superbhosting.net (I don't know if that will help someone help me with what's wrong).

I am getting the following errors during the install.cgi process:

* Could not make directory '/sjr-scca.org/': Permission denied
Could not make directory '/sjr-scca.org/': Permission denied

====================================
When I use File manager from my control panel for the site, sjr-scca.org is a directory that contains cgi-bin and public_html. Inside public_html are all the directories and files that are the website.

I was attempting to have a gossamer/images directory for the images, and just gossamer for the forums.

I used /sjr-scca.org/public_html/gossamer/images as the images directory. The URL to that is http://www.sjr-scca.org/gossamer/images.

After the first attempt, I created the images directory myself. But it still gets errors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Meg Meyer
SJR Webmaster
SJR Membership Chair
Quote Reply
Re: [megmeyer] Install problems - trial version In reply to
Hi,

That doesn't look like your TRUE path (i.e "real").

It should be something more like;

/home/user/domain.com/cgi-bin

..etc

It looks like you are using a relative path, which won't work, as it won't be able to find the files =)

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Install problems - trial version In reply to
I hate to be a pain, and I really am not a computer challenged person, but I can't figure out how to find out the 'real' path.

The install.cgi script defaults to: /home2/shb1_137/sjr-scca.org/cgi-bin , but I left that alone and it got the same error message.

I log on to ftp, and it ends up at the 'root' which has 3 directories (www.sjr-scca.org, sjr-scca.org, and the ip address (which I don't remember at the moment). Their (superbhosting.net) documentation states that those all point to the same place, and are necessary. Inside those (all of them if you look at them individually) is the cgi-gin, and public_html.

Beyond that, I don't know where to look. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! (and I appreciate the quick reply on the original post!)

Thanks.

Meg
Quote Reply
What's it erroring out on this time? Your 'root' path looks like it's /home2/shb1_137/sjr-scca.org, so make sure all your paths start with that.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Install problems - trial version In reply to
In Reply To:
What's it erroring out on this time? Your 'root' path looks like it's /home2/shb1_137/sjr-scca.org, so make sure all your paths start with that.

Errors are: Unable to write to directory (home2/shb1_137/sjr-scca.org/cgi-bin). Reason: (Permission denied)

Could not make directory '/home2/shb1_137/sjr-scca.org/images/': Permission denied

It should not need to make the images directory, that exists already.

Do I need to do anything special with permissions?

Meg
Quote Reply
Your host might be setup a little different than most servers are. If you send me shell or ftp access, I can take a quick look at it for you.

Adrian