Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Pre Sales :

Experiences on Windows Servers

Quote Reply
Experiences on Windows Servers
We are looking for a new solution and wondering how the G>Forum works on a Windows 2000 platform. We own our server and are running Perl on it right now but we were really hoping to get away from it for security reasons - however, looks like we need a new solution so we might leve it there.

Anyways.... any horror stories, comments, rave reviews? What to expect?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: [avselect] Experiences on Windows Servers In reply to
I run gforum on a shared hosted Win2k server with MSSQL 2000. I have no complaints, although version upgrades usually need to have the odd MSSQL specific bug worked out as mySQL is the focus around here.

Running it on your own server you should have no problems.

Last edited by:

ArmyAirForces: Jun 14, 2003, 4:47 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Experiences on Windows Servers In reply to
Thanks for the reply. How often do you find yourself upgrading if you don't mind me asking? And, when you do, these bugs you speak of, are they usually handled by yourself or do you find the developers step-in and really provide some good assistance?

I ask all of this, because presently we have two sites running on a system I am just getting tired of and these are very popular sites so any sort of switch in product must be fully researched and understood as much as possible. I would like this next move to be the final one ;)

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: [avselect] Experiences on Windows Servers In reply to
The Gossamer developers are real good about chasing down the bugs once identified.

I've upgraded with every release on the 1.x.x track in 15 months. That's around 7 releases give or take. 2.0.0 may be out this year with the current 1.2.0 release being last of this generation (as I understand it).

I give the package a thumbs up and have been very happy with it. I'd give it 2 thumbs up if I knew Perl Wink. The capabilities of the package with plug-ins and modifications is much great than what I'm able to employ.
Quote Reply
Re: [ArmyAirForces] Experiences on Windows Servers In reply to
Thanks, again for the reply. Sounds good. I guess the only concern now is how it would perform on our server. We do have own dedicated server however after reading some other threads on the CPU hit this message board system has, I am a little cautious. We, at a minimum, have at least 300-400 people on our boards at one time and we are bringing a new site online next week which we figure will add at least another 300. So about 600 users across three applications of the same message board system - just not too sure on what to expect and from what I have read on CPU usage, I suppose this is something I must be concerned with.

Thanks, again.