Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Forum : Pre Sales :

Forum with Links SQL

Quote Reply
Forum with Links SQL
Hi:

I am currently running a Links SQL site, and it was suggested that I add a forum to that site. Obviously, my first thought was to get a compatible product, so that useres will go from one to another seemlessly. I would assume that that would be the case, but you know what they say when you assume!

So I looked here. I did a quick seach, and found a couple posts from 2001 about there soon being a shared API and all, so that Links and Forum would work seemlessly. I just want to make sure that is the case now- if I get Forum, it would use my existing Users from Links, no problem? Would additional fields I have added to Users cause any problems? If my base URL is www.bcdb.com, could I add forum at forums.bcdb.com, and people would pass back and forth ok without re-logging in?

Finally, has anyone done this (I am sure some have!) Any advice, tricks, anything?

Thanks, I appreciate all your help!

Hapopy Holidays!

dave
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Re: [carfac] Forum with Links SQL In reply to
Oh- one more point I forgot to mention!

Links currently runs under mod_perl. Can I run BOTH at the same time under mod_perl?

Does it matter if I create a forums.bcdb.com, or should I keep them in the same directories?

Thanks!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Hi:

OK, I just saw the most from November by estjohn that referenced a post by Alex in March that said it was still under developement. I assume that is still the case.

Does anyone have any work arounds, or do we keep two sets of users, and integrate them whenever this new plug in is available?

dave
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
I believe GT have pretty much finished the community plugin now....but it won't be released until some thorugh testing has been done. Best bet is to email Alex@Gossamer-Threads.com, or Jack@Gossamer-Threads.com

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Forum with Links SQL In reply to
Andy:

Thanks- I will give Alex a call today!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
Doubt he will be in though, due to the time of the year Wink

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Forum with Links SQL In reply to
Andy:

Well, due to "this time of year", I am not too egar to do a ton of coding, either! Tongue So any delays are fine. I JUST popped Alex off an e-mail, and I shall be happy with any reply at whatever time! Besides, I have to mod all the templates, test, all kinds of stuff- no way this is going prime time in 2002!

Thanks again, and happy holidays to you and yours!
dave

Big Cartoon DataBase
Big Comic Book DataBase
Quote Reply
*Unofficial Comment*

I spoke to a staff member who said community should be ready for release soon after xmas.
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Forum with Links SQL In reply to
Great!!!!

I have been waiting a long time for this. My users get confused with two logins. I hope it's released soon and works seamlessly.

On inconsistancy I've noticed is that Links lets users get their ID and Password by typing in their email address, but Forum wants the ID. Also, it would be nice if users could maintain their own details, email address, mailing address, phone, etc. Email addresses are the worst. They change constantly and I have people wanting me to change these for them. It's a chore I don't look forward to.
Quote Reply
Re: Forum with Links SQL In reply to
If Links SQL is already installed and now wished to install GFourm, would I want to use the same data base and prefix as Links?

(Thinking ahead here)
Quote Reply
Re: [gatman] Forum with Links SQL In reply to
You can use the same database or a different one, that doesn't really matter. You should NOT use the same table prefix, that could lead to naming clashes.

Ivan
-----
Iyengar Yoga Resources / GT Plugins